Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020

That it was a “minor league signing with an invitation to camp” tells you all you need to know. But it’s a low risk reclamation project for them.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Pitchers and catchers report in approximately three weeks!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Pitchers and catchers report in approximately three weeks!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Jeter falls one vote shy of a unanimous election. I wonder who...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Braves signed Ozuna to a one year deal.

They again kept all their prospects and found a bat to protect Freeman.

Hopefully.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Jeter falls one vote shy of a unanimous election. I wonder who...
    I heard it put this way -

Mariano is the greatest ever at his position and not likely to see a better reliever. He deserves 100%. Jeter is not the best ever at his position, regardless of intangibles and WS success.

That said....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I heard it put this way -

Mariano is the greatest ever at his position and not likely to see a better reliever. He deserves 100%. Jeter is not the best ever at his position, regardless of intangibles and WS success.

That said....
    I heard it put this way...23 voters out of 432 turned down Willie Mays in 1979. 9 of 415 turned down Hank Aaron in 1982. But we have to remain constantly outraged about something, so let's make this a *thing*. Just be fucking happy about it (not personally directed at you, Ron).

Congrats to Derek Jeter, certainly a modern day GOAT candidate if there ever was one.

And congrats to Larry Walker who finally made it in his last year of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves signed Ozuna to a one year deal.

They again kept all their prospects and found a bat to protect Freeman.

Hopefully.
    I like it. I think it worked because the 'draft pick loss' associated with signing a QO rejection was mitigated by the compensation pick the Braves will receive for Donaldson.

Since the vast majority of the free agents are now off the board, the big question for the next month is - will there be a big name traded - Betts, Bryant, Lindor, Arenado, etc.?

Of course, those are all silly arguments against it. Not directed at any of you guys, of course. Either he deserves to get in or he doesn't. Some of these writers are just petty assholes who were probably picked on by jocks when they were kids.

If the one guy who voted against him believes he took a principled stand, he should come out of hiding and state it. I don't see that happening. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Of course, those are all silly arguments against it. Not directed at any of you guys, of course. Either he deserves to get in or he doesn't. Some of these writers are just petty assholes who were probably picked on by jocks when they were kids.

If the one guy who voted against him believes he took a principled stand, he should come out of hiding and state it. I don't see that happening. I'd like to be proven wrong.
    Jeter got in. Why should the person who didn't vote for him come forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Jeter got in. Why should the person who didn't vote for him come forward?
    Why shouldn't he? I'm not trying to be a petty fanboy. But, it would be nice to understand his reasoning. If he's firm in his beliefs, why not share them? I'm willing to bet he didn't think he'd be the only one.

I don't buy the historical comparisons, either, because they were just as silly. Two wrongs don't make a right. (But three lefts do. )

Jeter getting in on a near-unanimous vote is fine enough by me.

Why shouldn't he? I'm not trying to be a petty fanboy. But, it would be nice to understand his reasoning. If he's firm in his beliefs, why not share them? I'm willing to bet he didn't think he'd be the only one.
    Why shouldn't he? Answer: because he doesn't have to

Jeter getting in on a near-unanimous vote is fine enough by me.

Of course he doesn't have to. I'm sure we'll never hear from him.

There is a long history of some aging voters holding onto a tired notion that no one should be elected unanimously. I thought they had all retired or died out but who knows.

Damn, I'm jonesing for some baseball!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Maybe he like myself saw him cheat in one game by faking getting hit by the pitch and even bringing out the trainer to hold up the game by 10-15 minutes. Maybe he saw the pissed off umpires give him a home run in the ALCS that he didn't deserve which helped the Yankees get to the World Series. To get a perfect score you should be squeaky clean, just ask Nadia.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The eons are closing
    Really Jeffrey Maier should be in HOF on Jeter's plaque

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Maybe he like myself saw him cheat in one game by faking getting hit by the pitch and even bringing out the trainer to hold up the game by 10-15 minutes. Maybe he saw the pissed off umpires give him a home run in the ALCS that he didn't deserve which helped the Yankees get to the World Series. To get a perfect score you should be squeaky clean, just ask Nadia.
    Nobody is perfect. If you find a perfect person, please share their identity, because I'd like to meet them. Rivera isn't a perfect specimen, either. He blew the 2002 World Series, didn't he?

He wasn't perfect, but boy was he great, and sometimes amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Really Jeffrey Maier should be in HOF on Jeter's plaque
    So should that fat lazy pissed off umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    So should that fat lazy pissed off umpire.
    Still haven't gotten over it, have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

Mr. November. He just seemed to live a storybook script.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

Our hometown hero here in Kalamazoo. He has always been a class act and still gives back to the community.

Still haven't gotten over it, have you?
    Cheating strikes a nerve with me.

The eons are closing
    If you are a Yankee fan under the age of 40 you have never really known a time in your adult life without playoff baseball. A year, two here there..

Those are the annoying fans... entitled.

I have way more respect for older Yankee fans (50+) who remember the long dark nights of the mid/late 60s and the Mr. May/Donnie Baseball era. Their arrogance is surface level, like other fans, a facade that hides the fear and knowledge that baseball can be cruel over long stretches of time.

So yeah, the celebration of Jeffrey Maier (radio appearances, front row dugout seats with Giuliani etc) as a fan who got one over on the "game" still rankles a lot of baseball fans, even those without rooting stakes in the teams.

And to be clear, no one should fault Maier. He just acted like an excited 12 year old should...going for the ball.

What a pivotal moment - the start of the ascendancy of a player who didn't actually achieve that event; the descent into irrelevancy of the Orioles, an early shot across the bow for replay...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There is a long history of some aging voters holding onto a tired notion that no one should be elected unanimously. I thought they had all retired or died out but who knows.
    I thought this was the reason why Griffey wasn't unanimous (more egregious than Jeter, IMO) but Rivera did manage to do it so I'm curious about this one

I know no one 'owes' us an explanation but still I'd be curious to see what this dude's reasoning was
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com