Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

Thread: MLB 2020

Seems like I never get to watch my teams. Baseball is on too early, hoops is on a shade too late. But I keep up with the app. It's good to see the Marlins in the post season and winning the first series. Yeah, yeah, put an asterisk next to it. That's all I want from the Marlins, be competitive and get into the playoffs at least every couple years.

The Reds made a quick, embarrassing exit from the playoffs. Although they did manage to set a couple of dubious playoff records in the process.

Both teams combined in the 13 inning opener to strike out 37 times.

Reds are the first post season team to be held scoreless in a series that lasted longer than one game.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

RIP, Bob Gibson.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Reds are the first post season team to be held scoreless in a series that lasted longer than one game.
    So the Braves pitching either came together at a historic rate, or the Reds really can’t hit.

Perhaps we’ll find out. Braves are looking to hand the Marlins their first ever playoff series loss.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So the Braves pitching either came together at a historic rate, or the Reds really can’t hit.

Perhaps we’ll find out. Braves are looking to hand the Marlins their first ever playoff series loss.
    Reds can't hit, except the long ball. Near the top in HRs, and last in average.

Last night, the Yankees struck out 18 times against the Rays. Not to take anything away from good pitching, they had a lot of help from the home plate umpire, CB Bucknor.

Apparently, Bucknor is rated the worst in the league, and after blowing at least ten calls last night, I can't imagine any being worse. Angel Hernandez is right up there, too.

Why is this guy working playoff games?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Last night, the Yankees struck out 18 times against the Rays. Not to take anything away from good pitching, they had a lot of help from the home plate umpire, CB Bucknor.

Apparently, Bucknor is rated the worst in the league, and after blowing at least ten calls last night, I can't imagine any being worse. Angel Hernandez is right up there, too.

Why is this guy working playoff games?
    Didn't watch much of last nights game but there were some questionable calls both ways last night.

Remember when the Braves didn’t have any starting pitching?

The eons are closing
    RIP Whitey Ford

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

RIP, Whitey. Saw him at a number of Old Timers' Games at the Stadium back in the 70s.

Maybe the team will win one for him tonight.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

RIP, Whitey. Saw him at a number of Old Timers' Games at the Stadium back in the 70s.

Maybe the team will win one for him tonight.
    Also too young to see him play but my brothers have lost a sports hero from their youth. Here's Whitey grooving one for Mickey on Old Timers Day. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Also too young to see him play but my brothers have lost a sports hero from their youth. Here's Whitey grooving one for Mickey on Old Timers Day. RIP

Funny you should post this. This was the first time I watched the Yankees on TV and fell in love with the team that very day. We started going to ballgames the following year. I stumbled upon this video a few months ago and it blew my mind. Just like I remembered it. A major flashback.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Go Rays and Braves!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Go Rays and Braves!
    The better team between the Yankees and Rays won last night.

All is not lost. The Red Sox ended the season in the basement and my team beat the Indians.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

All is not lost. The Red Sox ended the season in the basement and my team beat the Indians.

Gotta take what you can get. Yanks again exposed for being one dimensional on offense

Gotta take what you can get. Yanks again exposed for being one dimensional on offense
    They scored the most runs in the AL. Their problem is more about pitching than anything. They were also heavily injured (again) and very inconsistent all year. In fact, they didn't have their full lineup until the end of the season.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

As long as they're out.

Interestingly enough, the Sox actually played about .500 ball in the last 30 games. If I had my way, they would have thrown a few more to get an even better draft pick. I mean, if you're going to toss a season away, this was about the best one ever to do it.

They scored the most runs in the AL. Their problem is more about pitching than anything.
    Well they do have two promising kids in Deivi and Schmidt. That's something. They rolled the dice with Paxton, which came up snake eyes. Do they re-sign Tanaka? You almost think they should given the FA market? You almost think the Yanks or anyone looking for #1 or #2 starting pitching needs to start thinking trade.

Here's some of the more notable FAs:

Trevor Bauer (30)
    Mike Fiers (36)
    Kevin Gausman (30)
    J.A. Happ (38)
    Rich Hill (41)
    Charlie Morton (37) — $15MM club option with no buyout
    Jose Quintana (32)
    Robbie Ray (29)
    Garrett Richards (33)
    Marcus Stroman (30)
    Masahiro Tanaka (32)

Seems like Bauer will certainly CASH IN somewhere.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    RIP Joe Morgan - best 2B I ever saw play

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    As long as they're out.

Interestingly enough, the Sox actually played about .500 ball in the last 30 games. If I had my way, they would have thrown a few more to get an even better draft pick. I mean, if you're going to toss a season away, this was about the best one ever to do it.

Well they do have two promising kids in Deivi and Schmidt. That's something. They rolled the dice with Paxton, which came up snake eyes. Do they re-sign Tanaka? You almost think they should given the FA market? You almost think the Yanks or anyone looking for #1 or #2 starting pitching needs to start thinking trade.

Here's some of the more notable FAs:

Trevor Bauer (30)
    Mike Fiers (36)
    Kevin Gausman (30)
    J.A. Happ (38)
    Rich Hill (41)
    Charlie Morton (37) — $15MM club option with no buyout
    Jose Quintana (32)
    Robbie Ray (29)
    Garrett Richards (33)
    Marcus Stroman (30)
    Masahiro Tanaka (32)

Seems like Bauer will certainly CASH IN somewhere.
    I think they'll make Tanaka an offer. They might get out-bid, though. I expect Domingo German to be back in the mix next year, too. Schmidt has promise, but he's a bit too green. They need to fix their middle relief.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Huh. Apparently you can kick the ball in MLB now.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Huh. Apparently you can kick the ball in MLB now.
    Just don't use your hands.

They scored the most runs in the AL. Their problem is more about pitching than anything. They were also heavily injured (again) and very inconsistent all year. In fact, they didn't have their full lineup until the end of the season.
    They can win 10-3 but when they face top pitching, they struggle. Always waiting for an HR. Over 50% of their runs came on HR. But yes, the pitching is also inconsistent. The rotation will be very different next year. As far as injuries, it seems like Stanton, Judge, Hicks etc are going to keep getting injured. After a while it's a pattern.

They can win 10-3 but when they face top pitching, they struggle. Always waiting for an HR. Over 50% of their runs came on HR. But yes, the pitching is also inconsistent. The rotation will be very different next year. As far as injuries, it seems like Stanton, Judge, Hicks etc are going to keep getting injured. After a while it's a pattern.
    no doubt. The injuries are definitely disturbing. For a good part of the season, the pitching carried the team. I'm curious to see what Severino (TJ) will be like when he returns in June/July.

I don't expect any major additions during the off-season, either. In fact, they'll likely lose a couple of players. Nobody made any money this year, so the Hot Stove will be pretty cold.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie