Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The way the umps are calling balls and strikes this year, I bet we're going to go computerized calls at the plate sooner than later. I swear, every ump behind home plate thinks he's Angel Hernandez now.
    I watched a very little of the Orioles yesterday but one batter checked his swing at a ball around neck high and the ump called it a strike.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Yankees and Red Sox went into extra innings last night.

This new rule is fucking stupid. Even though my team won, a team should earn their runs. This rule has to go away.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankees and Red Sox went into extra innings last night.

This new rule is fucking stupid. Even though my team won, a team should earn their runs. This rule has to go away.
    They wouldn't have scored without a man on second.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    They wouldn't have scored without a man on second.
    A pitcher can get outs from the first two batters and take a loss. It's beyond silly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Tommy John surgery for Verlander.

Tiger's manager (and Twins legend) Ron Gardenhire abruptly announces his retirement to focus on his health.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ve-immediately
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Tiger's manager (and Twins legend) Ron Gardenhire abruptly announces his retirement to focus on his health.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ve-immediately
    Gardy has missed some games recently due to health issues. Hopefully this is not something really serious, but the timing seems odd given that the season is almost over anyway. Gardy has been very popular here in Michigan and has turned the ship around mostly with young prospect players.

Tommy John surgery for Verlander.
    That could be it for him. 6 innings this year, out next year. He will be 38 or 39 and not under contract and essentially have not pitched in 2 plus years..

A pitcher can get outs from the first two batters and take a loss. It's beyond silly.
    Yeah its crap. I'll give them the 7 inning games considering this is a crazy year, but the putting a guy on second is not baseball. Add 2 players to the rosters if you must.

Are the Marlins in the post-season? If so that means we'll win our third WS.....

Think I'll watch that Marlins/Yankees game today just for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Are the Marlins in the post-season?
    Indeed they are! So are the mighty Reds! Winners of ten of the last twelve. With a starting trio of Trevor Bauer, Luis Castillo, and Sonny Gray, the Reds
    could prove to be problematic for anyone if they happen to be hitting.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I watched more baseball today than I have in a couple years (7 innings). That was an embarrassing, ass kicking.

I am just gonna take a wild guess that we'll see some real fuckery from MLB farming first or even second round games to subpar cable channels or god forbid, MLB TV.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

So somewhat amazingly, 28 out of the 30 teams played a full 60 game schedule with the help of all those shortened double-headers. The only games not played were two between STL and Detroit.

This will be an interesting scenario with the playoffs considering that an 8th seed stands a good shot of winning 2 out of 3 and advancing. That said, MLB is doing a "bracket challenge" on their website, which makes you wonder some of the actual motivations of having a 16 team playoff tournament.

FWIW, looks like the Twins are the hottest AL team in September with the Rays pretty much keeping pace. In the NL, the Dodgers and Reds had the best Septembers.

Watch out for the Reds. The Braves are in a vulnerable place pitching wise. If the Reds win, they take on the winner of Cubs/Marlins. They could find themselves into the NLCS if they aren't careful.

The AL seems wide open, but since the Twins wouldn't have to face the Yankees unless they meet in the ALCS, they may make it beyond Houston and the ChiSox/A's winner. And the Yanks are no guarantee to get passed the Indians in a short series considering Bieber/Carrasco/Plesac.

If nothing else, it should be interesting to see what happens.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I am just gonna take a wild guess that we'll see some real fuckery from MLB farming first or even second round games to subpar cable channels or god forbid, MLB TV.
    Looks like the opening round is ESPN, TBS, ESPN2, and ABC. Round 2 is TBS, FS1, and MLB Network.

Championship Series is FOX and TBS. WS is FOX.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm just going to revel in my Fantasy win for a little while if that's ok with you lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Twins have a VERY unstable bullpen but some killer starting pitching. I think they can handle the garbage-can bangers but it will be tough after that.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm just going to revel in my Fantasy win for a little while if that's ok with you lot.
    No, it's not.

It's a new season. Anything goes.

I, too, am shocked that they got this season in. Kudos to the league.

Freddie Freeman!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

So if nothing else, and to be honest I didn’t fact check this lol, today is a day in MLB history. There are/were 8 playoff games played today.

Despite having home field advantage, the Twins dropped trou, bent over, and offered themselves up to the most despised franchise in baseball (who did not finish about .500). I can be quite profane but I can't even summon the amount that it would take to display the amount of frustration and rage I have with my team.

Despite having home field advantage, the Twins dropped trou, bent over, and offered themselves up to the most despised franchise in baseball (who did not finish about .500). I can be quite profane but I can't even summon the amount that it would take to display the amount of frustration and rage I have with my team.
    Yep, that's 18 post-season games in a row. Not a good day for Twins fans.

Wild one in Cleveland last night, but the Indian's futility continues. Yankees are off to San Diego to meet The Rays, who have pretty much owned them all season. This one could get ugly, since the teams just don't get along. I have low expectations.

The worst part? I have to wait until Monday.

Cleveland baseball is as inept as Cleveland football.