Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Cal Ripken, Jr. vs. Kevin Costner

Cal Ripken was on a game-playing streak in 1997 when he had an alleged breakdown that prevented him from starting that night, as he had consecutively for a span of over five years. To help preserve his record, a Baltimore Orioles employee orchestrated a lighting malfunction, or it happened coincidentally. Regardless, the outcome was that the game was called.

In a serious check on guest manners, a personal friend of Costner’s, Cal Ripken, was rumored to have returned to his house after leaving for the day to play a game. He had forgotten something. Next, according to some versions, when Ripken arrived at his home, he caught Kevin Costner in his bed with his wife, Kelly. Costner is rumored to have gotten such a beating he was unable to do any publicity, just at the time he was wrapping up with 'The Postman'.
    Check out his movie 'Revenge' where he sleeps with his friends wife, earning a serious whooping and gets left for dead. Of course he doesn't die or the movie would be real short.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Check out his movie 'Revenge' where he sleeps with his friends wife, earning a serious whooping and gets left for dead. Of course he doesn't die or the movie would be real short.
    I remember that one. Then he hooks his wife on drugs and uses her as a prostitute.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Noah Syndergaard needs Tommy John surgery after tearing UCL
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Noah Syndergaard needs Tommy John surgery after tearing UCL
    Every pitcher in baseball should get Tommy John this year just to get it over with, even if you don't need it.

^^ yeah, really.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

You almost knew something bad was going to happen because Chris Davis was having an MVP spring training.

Sports talk radio has gotten so stagnant here that they were talking about who they would draft from the Bad News Bears.

Sports talk radio has gotten so stagnant here that they were talking about who they would draft from the Bad News Bears.
    I pick Amanda Whurlizer!

Fuck, I tuned in the other day and they were talking about fishing. FISHING!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I was thinking of all the baseball games I'm not going to see this year... and then I heard it was going to be postponed.

A severely shortened baseball season, where every remaining game had to be played with sense of urgency or desperation, might get me to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post

A severely shortened baseball season, where every remaining game had to be played with sense of urgency or desperation, might get me to pay attention.

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Will the pandemic force expansion?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/will-mlb...s-to-covid-19/

"When we look at the past two decades, we’ve seen baseball revenues grow, leading to more profits. We’ve also seen a windfall in the form of the sale of BAMTech that was paid to ownership; the sale of BAMTech to Disney meant payments of around $80 million to every team. Of late, we’ve also seen MLB approve investment funds taking minority interests in teams, as Ben Clemens wrote about last fall. Those investments allow owners to receive a cash infusion in exchange for giving up a small share of their club. However, every owner might not be in a position to sell off parts of their team, and some owners may wish not to let investment firms get involved with ownership. Expansion might be the only viable avenue many owners have to recoup some of the expected revenue losses this season."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

So, just a general question: how much of a shortened season are you willing to accept? Mid-May? June 1st? the All-Star Game?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

100 games.

I think beginning mid-June, maybe even as a late at the beginning of July would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    100 games.

I think beginning mid-June, maybe even as a late at the beginning of July would be fine.
    I think we've lost at least half the season already. I'm willing to settle for any baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    So, just a general question: how much of a shortened season are you willing to accept? Mid-May? June 1st? the All-Star Game?
    33 game season

I think we've lost at least half the season already. I'm willing to settle for any baseball.
    Agreed.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'd be happy if they just re-did last year's post-season.

They should just play through until October eliminating playoffs and world series just to let the teams recoup some lost revenue.

RIP, Tigers' legend, Al Kaline age 85.

Being a Yankees fan, I was never a Tigers fan. But, my favorite bat as a kid during the best summers of my life was a 32-oz. Al Kaline bat with a split in it. (We used tennis balls in our games.)

RIP, Tigers' legend, Al Kaline age 85.
    Big fan of Kaline in my youth as well.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony.../#82e4f6c7a27b

"On Monday, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players’ Association discussed ways to get the regular season off the ground as it continues to be delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Among those ideas, according to the Associated Press, is playing all games in the Phoenix area in empty ballparks."

It sounds like it'd be difficult to pull this off. It's not just keeping the players safe (and quarantined), but the coaches and trainers and management.

Rosters would have to be expanded to include minor league players. Just imagine trying to call someone up.

I'm willing to bet there will be no baseball this year. It will break my heart, for sure. But, there are too many idiots in this country to temper this virus to the point that anything like that can happen.

I seriously hope I am wrong.

I'm willing to bet there will be no baseball this year. It will break my heart, for sure. But, there are too many idiots in this country to temper this virus to the point that anything like that can happen.
    I think a July 1 start to the season is still very much on the table. But living day-by-day that we do now, it seems like a lifetime anticipating if that will happen.

I was thinking about it the other day, to add a little levity, that baseball is the most 'social distancing of all the major sports'. The defense is properly spaced apart (maybe they do away with some of those unsafe shifts tho), they only allow 1 batter up at a time, and the catcher wears a mask. Everyone uses gloves to catch the ball. Balls are disposed of once put in play. Managers will have to resort to kicking dirt, so they aren't spitting in the ump's face.