Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured album : Maneige - Libre Service

Featured album : Maneige - Libre Service

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...1717102008.jpg

Let's stay in the Great White North but change over to the Atlantic side.

Maneige - Libre Service/Self-Service

maneige.jpg

Tracks Listing

1. Troizix (2:36)
    2. L'Envol Des Singes Latins (4:30)
    3. Les Péntocles (4:58)
    4. La Belle Et La Bête (3:29)
    5. Bagdad (1:26)
    6. Noémi (0:49)
    7. Célébration (2:47)
    8. La Noce (7:25)
    9. Toujours Trop Tard (5:08)
    10. Miro Vibro (5:47)

Total Time: 38:54

Line-up:
    - Denis LaPierre / guitars
    - Vincent Langlois / piano, percussion
    - Alain Bergeron / flute, alto sax
    - Yves Léonard / bass
    - Gilles Schetagne / drums, percussion
    - Paul Picard / percussion (vibes, xylophone, marimba)

Here is what John Davies (AKA Mellotron Storm) had to say about it over ProgArchives

I guess you could call this "Rhythmic Fusion" with all the percusion, drums, xylophones and vibes. Very accessible and polished with shorter tracks, it's a far cry from their first amazing album. So yes this was disappointing for me at first, mostly because my reference point with them is the first album. On the other hand this is so intricate and melodic it's hard not to like it.

"Troizix" opens with a beat and lots of clapping. Guitar comes in followed later by flute. "L'Envol Des Singes Latins" opens with percussion and synths before drums and flute take over.There is an island vibe to this tune after 1 1/2 minutes. A catchy track. "Les Petoncles" is better with the slower beat and vibes. Guitar and bass follow. I like the calm after 3 minutes. Sax comes in then the tempo picks up to end it. "La Belle Et La Bete" features xylophone and vibes early with drums. Flute 1 minute in. I like it better 2 1/2 minutes in as we get a fuller sound. A gong ends it. "Bagdad" has a good rhythm to it once it gets going. "Noemi" is less than a minute of piano,guitar and flute.

"Celebration" opens with bells as flute joins in. A full sound arrives around 1 1/2 minutes. "La Noce" opens with sleigh bells then flute and classical guitar. I feel like throwing on some tights and prancing around. Kidding ! Thankfully a good piano melody takes over with drums and bass. Guitar comes in at 2 1/2 minutes. Flute leads the way later. "Toujours Trop Tard" is mellow with flute. Drums, percussion and guitar take over. Sax 3 minutes in then guitar returns before 4 minutes. I like this one a lot, especially the melancholic mood early. "Miro Vibro" opens with piano before flute and percussion arrive before 2 minutes. Piano is back leading the way then flute joins in again. Tasteful guitar late.

There is certainly lots to enjoy here if your into the lighter side of Fusion. Barely 4 stars. I really like the album cover too for some reason.
    review link: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=202560

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My preference is for the earlier albums (especially the first, which I think is a masterpiece) but this is still a fun exercise in tasteful light fusion..."pretty" feels like an appropriate term. Strange contrast between the murky, slightly grim cover shot and the mainly sunshine-soaked musical content.

It's been quite a while since I listened to this but I do seem to recall that it feels a bit ahead of its time, in that it's a distinctly eighties-sounding production that was recorded in '78. I should revisit the record and see whether this still feels correct...
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I love this album. I do like the style of their first couple the most, but I like just about everything they did. I have all of the CDs, but sadly the last couple have never been issued on CD so I've only sampled them online. But yeah, this is a really strong one.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Great album. I'll give it a fresh spin and comment more later.

I have their first four on CD and like them all. Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle might be my favorite, I always enjoy that one when I spin it, but they're all good in different ways.

Bill

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My CD collection is such a mess - don't know where I can find it. I do own it though. Quite like the band.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I have their first four on CD and like them all. Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle might be my favorite, I always enjoy that one when I spin it, but they're all good in different ways.

Bill
    Actually Ni Vent... is my second favourite after the debut. Some quite special tunes and joyous passages on that one.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I need to revisit this one and get back
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm more into their first two Albums, which I really love.

Ni Vent… was a change in style but still very good.

I think I should investigate their following Albums further...

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Got this one several months back along with the first three, but just realized I hadn't gotten to this one yet. Listening now. The second track is very Oye Como Va-esque.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Ni Vent... is a masterpiece

but I like this album quite a bit
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Maybe not knock you on your ass groundbreaking stuff, but it's really concise and well executed, recall it fitting somewhere between good elements of Santana and Secret Oyster Astarte in places. Could be a bit slick for some, but always thought it had a kind of clarity that separated this one from their others, (whether or not that's a good thing is probably down to who's listening).

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Ni Vent… was a change in style but still very good.
    I agree, Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle marks a departure from the first two albums. Things get a little less "chaotic," for lack of a better term and if my memory serves me. I'm going to spin all four over the next few days to get a sense of how they changed from album to album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    Maybe not knock you on your ass groundbreaking stuff, but it's really concise and well executed, recall it fitting somewhere between good elements of Santana and Secret Oyster Astarte in places. Could be a bit slick for some, but always thought it had a kind of clarity that separated this one from their others, (whether or not that's a good thing is probably down to who's listening).
    I spun Libre Service last night and I'd basically agree with this. Definitely not an "in your face" album, but there's lots going on and I think compared to the first two this and Ni Vent... Ni Nouvelle are a bit clearer and show a bit more skill in composition and development of ideas. I need to listen back to the others to verify this, but that has been my general sense about this band. I personally prefer Libre Service and Ni Vent..., but can see why others prefer the earlier stuff (which I also like quite a bit).

Bill

This was my first Maneige and I still really love it. Ni vent... is probably my #1 album by them, but this is a close second. Love the use of all the different percussion instruments, and the songs are all very memorable and peppy. A great “good feeling” album.

Those first two albums were really something else. They were Jerome Langlois’ baby, and it was a completely different sound-world. More of a slightly abstract chamber-music feel compared to the jazz fusion direction they shifted towards in his absence. Unlike Ni vent... and Libre Service, they are not immediate albums. It took me forever to get into them. You really have to pay attention to them; they are not “background” music.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I became aware of Maneige around Les Porches, but TBH, it wasn't an instant hit as it was too Chamber music like for the 13 y-o I was back then. When Libre Service came out (I bought the version with the black-lettered title, and I've never seen the ugly two gas pumps on a pink cloud artwork cover), it wasn't all that easy either, but I knew I would "get" both albums soon or later, so I didn't get rid of them and I put both away in a space with the two VdGG and GG (each) albums I owned.

LS/SS I started digging once I got into JR/F in the early 80's (once I got in Caravanserai and stuff), and Les Porches a few months later. That's +/- when I dicovered the début and bought the live album (Composite) that I was regularly seeing in the used bins, but I didn't like Images (their last album), though for some reasons, I never got rid of it.

For some reasons Ni Vent escaped my radar until the early 90's (when I found the Kozak CD, and later scored the vinyl), and so did the under-rated Montreal 6AM (this one is badly in need of a reissue, both in CD and vinyl). NVNN actually astounded me more for the gatefold Close To The Edge artwork than for the music on it (I was lukewarm on it), but it became a grower over the years. 6AM is really worth an investigation if you enjoy Maneige's JR/F, despite the dumb artwork

Of course, I will be eternally grateful to ProgQuebec's Sean McFee and Stephen Takashi to have released both the two live archives albums along with those two Lasting Weep "albums", as I didn't know of the band's genesis. I'd love to own another live album (other than Composite) of their later 70's, and wished PQ would've reissued Composite as a whole album, rather than add the tracks as bonus of LS/SS and NVNN. This "live" album is almost a full-blown release of its own since only two tracks belong to studio albums. As a result, when I spin either album, I reach for the Kozak reissue rather than theirs (despite the remastering).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    More of a slightly abstract chamber-music feel compared to the jazz fusion direction they shifted towards in his absence..
    Listened to the rest of Libre Service and then the self-titled debut last night and the above quote pretty much echoes my thoughts about the differences. Quite a different sound palette and production. Libre Service definitely seems more compositionally focused, much more of a full-band-playing-throughout approach, slick(er) production, and pretty much a fusion album.

The debut is quite meandering and abstract. I can appreciate the effort that went into it, but there were few moments that were really in my personal wheelhouse. Those were some great moments, but a bit few and far between for my tastes. Also, perhaps I just don't "get it", but it seems a bit sloppy or unrehearsed in places. The drums and bass seemed out of sync at times and tempos seemed unintentionally fluid.

The live bonus tracks on each album are some of my favorites from each of these, aside from some ill-advised, embarrassing, and far-to-forward-in-the-mix percussion on one song.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

I would strongly recommend to get Jerome Langlois solo stuff too.

Molignak is a Killer Album and the Version of it on Live FMPM is maybe even better.
    (and of course there are lots of Maneige musicians involved)
    Last edited by TheH; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd love to own another live album (other than Composite) of their later 70's, and wished PQ would've reissued Composite as a whole album, rather than add the tracks as bonus of LS/SS and NVNN.
    We considered doing another live release. There is a pretty good show from Outremont, but it is also short:
    1) L'envol des singes latins
    2) Max the Whale
    3) Troizix
    4) Les Pétoncles
    5) La Belle et la Bête / Bagdad
    6) La Noce
    7) Douce-Amère

We looked for potential bonus material. We were able to get ~100 minutes of footage from the Festival de l'Été but the sound quality is bad and in mono. I haven't listened to it in a while to know what exactly is there but I think it's more or less the same setlists. We also had some early stuff bridging Lasting Weep to Maneige but IIRC not everyone was on board with releasing it (and it would arguably have been a "disjoint" archive).

The commercial prospects were declining and we had already done 6 Maneige releases + 2 Lasting Weep, so we didn't go back to the well.

We didn't know about this material when we did the Ni Vent / Libre Service reissues or we could have approached it differently, but it also helped to have bonus material on those reissues to differentiate them from Kozak (IOW, the same thing you dislike was the reason for many people to "upgrade").

If you guys can mount a persuasive campaign with Stephen perhaps it's not too late . I'm not sure how Maelstrom did, but if it wasn't a flop maybe he'd do one last release.

Regards,
    Sean

Their last interesting studio release, IMO.

Ni Vent... is my fave.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    We didn't know about this material when we did the Ni Vent / Libre Service reissues or we could have approached it differently, but it also helped to have bonus material on those reissues to differentiate them from Kozak (IOW, the same thing you dislike was the reason for many people to "upgrade").

If you guys can mount a persuasive campaign with Stephen perhaps it's not too late . I'm not sure how Maelstrom did, but if it wasn't a flop maybe he'd do one last release.
    dislike is a big word

lety's just say thaty I like the Kozak to listen to the LS/SS album, but if I want to listen to Composite, I use both PQ albums

Definitely one of the best Canadian bands.

While not quite up to their first 2 releases, this is still great by any standards.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I haven't listened to it. My friends told me that the first 3 are essential. I trust my friends. All three are fantastic, and more or less of equal great value.

My 5 year old daughter loves Les Porches, so maybe that's their best...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Their last interesting studio release, IMO.
    I think Montréal 6 AM is fine. It’s not quite on a par with Libre Service, but if you like that sound, it definitely offers more of it.

I haven’t heard Images, but I’ve heard it described as sounding like “a library music album.” Take that to mean what you may.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I haven't listened to it. My friends told me that the first 3 are essential. I trust my friends. All three are fantastic, and more or less of equal great value.

My 5 year old daughter loves Les Porches, so maybe that's their best...
    Well, LS/SS is at least as good, so you're 100% safe with that one

The liva album Composite is quite ok (given that only two tracks are from studio albums), but it lacks something that previous album have. M6AM is about as good as Composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think Montréal 6 AM is fine. It’s not quite on a par with Libre Service, but if you like that sound, it definitely offers more of it.

I haven’t heard Images, but I’ve heard it described as sounding like “a library music album.” Take that to mean what you may.
    Yup for M6AM.

But Images, I'd tell you to avoid it, and unless you're a completist, you won't miss a thing. I wouldn't say Library music, though; it sounds like the band is trying to survive through the 80's by adapting its sound. It's not like Genesis & Abacrap or Tull with A or TB&TB, but it's in that general direction

^I'm not too enthusiastic about the Montreal 6AM. Frankly I always found Libre Service to be a step down from Ni Vent, which has more sting and 'adventure' to it.

Live Montreal 1974/75 was the first one I got, featuring the exclusive 29-minute "La Balloune" for starters. But Ni Vent brings it down to basics and soars in melodic play. I like the first two, but I never loved them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

here is the full album: