Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Grupo N.H.U. - s/t

FEATURED CD: Grupo N.H.U. - s/t

One of my faves from Spain....

Review from Unencumbered music reviews (Tom Hayes)
    Grupo N.H.U. - s/t. 1978 Novola Zafiro.

CD reissue: 2000 RCA (Zafiro/BMG).

Packaging details: At least the CD is 100% legit, from the master tapes and the original label. Otherwise, it's a bit of a disappointment (no liner notes, bonus tracks, etc..). Typical of reissues from Spain unfortunately. And like many Spanish albums, the original LP is worth owning for the quality and the cover - and I certainly kept mine.

Notes: In 2001, I wrote the following for Gnosis: "1978 was Spain's boom year in terms of progressive rock music, and Grupo N.H.U. met the challenge head on. One of the finest from the Spanish progressive scene, Grupo N.H.U. contains everything that made the Spanish scene so special. Strong compositions marked by many changes. Fat keyboards, loud acid guitar, and a complex, exciting rhythm section make up the centerpiece of the group. An excellent vocalist and a strong fusion edge a la Mahavishu Orchestra rounds out one of the true bona-fide classics of the Spanish scene. An absolute must hear. "

Gosh, do I have anything to add? Perhaps a bit more psychedelic space rock oriented than I implied above. You know, it's not really a typical Spanish release, in the sense that it lacks indigenous qualities - qualities which were still in abundance in late 1970's Spain. Final smokin' fusion track reminds me of primo Crucis (Argentina). N.H.U. stands for Noche Hermosa Una (A Beautiful Night).

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This one is great, just great! One of the 15-or-so best Spanish progressive 70s albums IMO. Like an Iberian Hillage teaming up with a heavier Grateful Dead mid-70s. I think I'll play this one tonight here at casa mia.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wow! I've never heard this before. It has a fantastic jammy vibe to it. The rhythm section is great!

I have it...my records are saying that I like it but do not ask me why... ..I have to revisit

The gentleman on the bottom left of the album cover looks like Kevin Godley of 10cc.

I never heard of the band, but the clips are pretty good!

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

One of the top 15 spanish albums for me. I've been seeking the CD reissue for ages...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I was wandering the vendor tables at NEARFest in the early 2000's and I heard this wonderful music coming from Doug Larson's table. I asked him what it was and he showed me this CD, which I snagged immediately. Great stuff! The first track is one of favorite songs to emerge from the Spanish scene. It has a different vibe than most of the other Spanish albums I've heard - maybe the Lisker album is the closest to this, but that's entirely instrumental.

Great stuff.

This is a very cool one; I agree with the Hillage assessment above. This is as close as I’ve ever heard anyone come to the sound of the Khan album, thanks also to that crazy Hammond playing throughout. Really great stuff! These guys hail from Galicia in northwestern Spain and sing in Galician, which is actually a dialect of Portuguese.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Aufbruch”-Flaming Bess/Verlorene Welt

This one's awesome. One of the best from Spain.

Solid Prog with good musicianship and fun arrangements... recommended
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This is a very cool one; I agree with the Hillage assessment above. This is as close as I’ve ever heard anyone come to the sound of the Khan album, thanks also to that crazy Hammond playing throughout. Really great stuff! These guys hail from Galicia in northwestern Spain and sing in Galician, which is actually a dialect of Portuguese.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Aufbruch”-Flaming Bess/Verlorene Welt
    Galician is an own language, is not a dialect. It's similar to portuguese, but it's a different language.

In Spain there are 5 different language: Spanish or Castellano, Catalan, Galician, Euskera & Aranes. Not bad at all

I never heard of these guys before, on the RYM site they are listed under N.H.U. without the "Grupo" part.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Apparently the O.P. teased us with an album that is apparently not available to purchase anywhere

Just listening to the vids above, but, a lot like Secret Oyster, these guys sure are talented, but they do absolutely nothing for me. Sort of wonky with no real purpose--but fine musicianship. Meh (very precise and in-depth with that, right guys? I mean, come on. "Meh." You can't get any more insightful than that.).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Apparently the O.P. teased us with an album that is apparently not available to purchase anywhere
    It used to be. I guess it’s out of print, albums like these don’t seem to have very long print runs, especially in reissue.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

N.P.:nothing

Pulled this out of the collection tonight. Great fiery stuff. Love it!

^ Just out of curiosity, what's great about it? Not to say that I listened to every second of what was posted above, but I heard bland, uninspired organ fusion (with some really mushy organ). Any reason I should investigate further?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ Just out of curiosity, what's great about it? Not to say that I listened to every second of what was posted above, but I heard bland, uninspired organ fusion (with some really mushy organ). Any reason I should investigate further?
    What does it for me is the angular guitar and the organ playing. That kind of in depth description probably won't make you go back and listen to the album though,

Prolly not. But I'll got back and listen to all the camples. But not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It used to be. I guess it’s out of print, albums like these don’t seem to have very long print runs, especially in reissue.
    It had a very limited distribution back at the era. Usually such reissues don't fly under my radar.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll have to track down my copy that I either bought from Cozy for big money (haha) or picked up on his recommendation. I liked it at the time but it didn't blow me away. The clips you've posted here sound a lot better than I recall so maybe I've got some digging around to do.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It had a very limited distribution back at the era. Usually such reissues don't fly under my radar.
    This was a gem of a tape-trade item, so when it was reissued, I jumped at the chance to get the CD (same with Atlas’ Blå Vardag, which likewise has been unavailable for a long time). I think I actually bought it at one of the music festival vendor tables, right after it came in.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

almost 3 years dead... how did you find this thread?!?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    almost 3 years dead... how did you find this thread?!?
    He found it at last, as I managed to locate an original CD, two years ago
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS