Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books You've Read Because of Music

R.D. Laing, Knots. It really is like the song.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Oh yeah, I bought "The Soft Machine" and "The Naked Lunch," but never read either of them.

Mmmhhh!!!.. read it in French, which explains my translation error (Le Festin Nu), normally I try to read it in OV

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Journey to the center of the earth. Francois Rabelais. Gargantua and Pantagruel. Shouldn’t have to explain either here.
    Read those before I heard the music. The Jules Verne in the original Hetzel edition (my parets had ten of them)
    https://www.edition-originale.com/fr...-chez-hetzel-4

The Rabelais books in simplified french, cos the original medieval form is way too arduous...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Siddartha by Herman Hesse inspired Close to the Edge. I too read Autobiography of a Yogi, finished it, and still don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Paul Gallico's The Snow Goose comes to mind.
    THat's one that I bought, but never got around to reading. I also have a bootleg DVD of a British TV version of it (which I got, because there was a cock up with another bootleg DVD I bought from the same guy, so he offered a choice of anything else in the catalog, gratis, to make up for it), but I haven't watched that either.
    The other way round: I heard Janaceks Sinfionetta because I read Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.
    I haven't actually followed up on it, but for the last three or so decades, I've been wanting to hear the music of Koerner, Ray, & Glover, who are mentioned prominently in one of Spider Robinson's novels, I forget which one. There's a line where one of the characters mentioning he wishes he could bankroll the reissue of Blues, Rags And Hollers. And presumably "Spider" John Koerner is where the author took his pen-name from. Robinson has also mentioned other blues musicians in his books. In one he refers to Dr. John, but uses the pianist/singer's given name of Mac Rebbenack.

well, I read most of Neil Pearts books, (CLOCKWORK ANGELS, FAR AND WIDE, Ghost rider...) because he is Rush's drummer. But that's probably a little too obvious. Hammer of the Gods - Zeppelin, History of Uriah Heep... You get the idea....Pink Floyd, Yes... on and on.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Jonathan Coe’s “The Rotters Club” because he talks about Hatfield and the North.

”High Fidelity” by Nick Hornby because it describes 30 years of my life.
    Same here, even so I never worked in a record shop. :-)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

The two obvious ones - Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Snow Goose, both a nice easy read, --- plus some Leonard Cohen poetry

Does reading the KISS comic books in the mid 70s count? You know, the ones with the band members' blood mixed in with the ink.

Later when I got into more substantial music, I got into Edgar Allan Poe after hearing Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination.
    Last edited by progmatist; 1 Week Ago at 05:09 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    I’d vote that comic books don’t count. They’re not often confused with books, not even by their readers.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 1 Week Ago at 11:20 PM.

I read The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame after first hearing The Pipers at the Gates of Dawn. Never read it as a child. Definitely an interesting read while under the influence.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

A bit indirectly PH Lovecraft due to Caravan's Chtlu, Cthlu on Girls... wasn't aware of the connection so when I listened first to the record.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"