Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guranfoe - Sum of Erda

Guranfoe - Sum of Erda

Here’s a band from Norfolk who’ve been playing for eight years and just put out their first studio album:

Feelgood jammy instrumental prog that is plenty crunchy and, whilst retro, feels like its own thing. I think you can tell they have played together a lot and were having a blast recording this. It may not change your world but there’s some good stuff here.

Streaming, download, vinyl and CD at Bandcamp:

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/sum-of-erda
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 12-26-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Did you change time zone man?

I know it and like. Good to see that there are still people enjoying doing this kind of music, without copying others. All the more so when they come from UK. (Another one I can think of is A Formal Horse).

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Did you change time zone man?

I know it and like. Good to see that there are still people enjoying doing this kind of music, without copying others. All the more so when they come from UK. (Another one I can think of is A Formal Horse).
    I'm in the baby timezone, posting at 2am between hunting for a bag of nappies and getting cake for my wife...

Glad you found the band, they don't seem to have attracted a lot of comment and I don't recall seeing them mentioned here before (though they probably have been and I just missed it).

Bandcamp Profile

I like this!
    Very relaxing.

I think it was Zalmoxe who posted this in the new releases thread. Things tend to get lost in there.

definitely will be on my Top 10 of 2019

great stuff!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It is an excellent album. The album release gig was very good. They have supportedCaravan and soft Machine in the past, Definitely worth seeing!

I agree, this is top shelf stuff. I'll have to place an order.

Just received my CD from Burning Shed. Ordered it based on the post by Zalmoxe in the New Releases-thread. The album is released by Apollon: Prog Records.

Wow, best I've heard for a long time!! Must be getting this..

The style of the cover, and also the vibe of the music, somehow put me in mind of the first Shadowfax LP. And that’s a good thing in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Here’s a band from Norfolk who’ve been playing for eight years and just put out their first studio album:

Feelgood jammy instrumental prog that is plenty crunchy and, whilst retro, feels like its own thing. I think you can tell they have played together a lot and were having a blast recording this. It may not change your world but there’s some good stuff here.

Streaming, download, vinyl and CD at Bandcamp:

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/sum-of-erda
    Great album indeed. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. Definitely one of the best in 2019, at least for me.

When you listen to the live in the studio-demo's the band has released, Guranfoe sounds more like a twin-guitar group compared to the studio-album on which keyboards, flute, vibraphone, recorder and violin have a big influence on the total band sound.
    https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...-cavern-studio
    https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...ool-studios-ii
    https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...school-studios

I like it the way Guranfoe have progressed their sound.

This keeps growing on me. Very interesting band. I'll buy these worthy lads a couple of pints by ordering their album from Bandcamp.

I think they should try to incorporate vocals in their music. There are melodies in there that sound very singable.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The album is released by Apollon: Prog Records.
    From the town where I grew up; Bergen, Norway.

I'm gonna have to look & hear further into this. Sounds good. Here in Oslo you can actually go into a record store and buy stuff like this by handing over moneys to folks on the other side of the counter. Sometimes there's a short discussion on the product too. A nice time had by all involved, and people get happy from it. We feel alive and well and don't check our cellphones for lengthy periods of time.

I always pay cash. Bills & coins.

Just look: https://bigdipper.no/vinyl/pop_rock/...lp-p0000060552

'Lagervare' means 'in store'. You can pick it down from the shelf and pull out the vinyl to stare at the rills. Young girls look at you and dig what you're doin'. That's such a Prog.

These are the vinyl shops in Oslo alone: https://recordstores.love/681-Tiger
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 01-08-2020 at 06:37 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Here in Oslo you can actually go into a record store and buy stuff like this by handing over moneys to folks on the other side of the counter. Sometimes there's a short discussion on the product too. A nice time had by all involved, and people get happy from it. We feel alive and well and don't check our cellphones for lengthy periods of time.
    sounds like a much better way of life up there

I'd move there if it wasn't zero degrees all the time
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    sounds like a much better way of life up there

I'd move there if it wasn't zero degrees all the time

The record stores are warm and they'll take your money
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

This is a really cool album!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Taking the nighttrain to Bergen at 23:25 P.M. this evening. Funeral for a friend's dad there tomorrow. But when that poor guy's in the ground I'm gonna scoot downtown and to the Nygårdsgaten for a quick stick into Apollon Records' store & bar. Yeah, they've got all of their (own) releases stacked pretty much next to a truly -WIDE- selection of bottled ace ales. A bit pricey, of course - like the records and everything else here in Norway - but cool all the same.

Just think of it; death, sorrow, church, beer and clog-rock in the same afternoon. And then back on the darn nighttrain with my insomnia heading for Oslo. It's such a nice existence, although a short one.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Taking the nighttrain to Bergen at 23:25 P.M. this evening. Funeral for a friend's dad there tomorrow. But when that poor guy's in the ground I'm gonna scoot downtown and to the Nygårdsgaten for a quick stick into Apollon Records' store & bar. Yeah, they've got all of their (own) releases stacked pretty much next to a truly -WIDE- selection of bottled ace ales. A bit pricey, of course - like the records and everything else here in Norway - but cool all the same.

Just think of it; death, sorrow, church, beer and clog-rock in the same afternoon. And then back on the darn nighttrain with my insomnia heading for Oslo. It's such a nice existence, although a short one.
    Say hi to everybody with blonde hair and green shirts for me.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Man, I'll even grope a freezing nipple underneath that green shirt of blondie there. I always do that, and they always have blonde hair and green shirts, each and every one of 'em. I only get a pass 'cause I'm such an ass, though. And a prog-dog hot-Rotter.

^ Man, I'll even grope a freezing nipple underneath that green shirt of blondie there. I always do that, and they always have blonde hair and green shirts, each and every one of 'em. I only get a pass 'cause I'm such an ass, though. And a prog-dog hot-Rotter.
    Michael Rot(h)ter
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Sorry to hear of your friend's dad passing. But I hope you have a good time afterward at the bar and record store. Sounds like a nice way to spend some time.

What are some of the beers/ales they have in Norway that you like to drink? Any local brews in particular? We don't get much in the way of Norwegian beverages over here in the states, unfortunately.

^ Difficult question. There are numerous local microbreweries in operation in Oslo alone, the other major cities have them as well. Right now I have a thing for sour lager, various brands popping up but sadly disappearing just as rapidly. Alcohol in general is very expensive here, mostly due to the fees attached to its alleged risk factors. Hence the frequency of moonshining and domestic wineries.

A new recording is due out soon:

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...s-observations

Blurb:

The music on this album will be improvised by Guranfoe at their rehearsal cabin in Diss, England during April 3 — 8, 2020.

This special recording project will be undertaken during the time we planned to be out on the road around England, but are instead quarantined during the COVID-19 epidemic.

We will record one ten-minute improvisation every day and publish it to YouTube. The full collection will be released as this album on April 9.

100% of pre-order funds donated to World Health Organisation's Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund.

Read more here, http://www.who.int/emergencies/disea...us-2019/donate.

Guranfoe is James Burns, Ollie Snell, Robin Breeze and Joe Burns.

So, not only do they make good music, they are thoroughly decent chaps too. Losing out on their planned gigs must hurt them, but they're still donating the proceeds of the recording for the common good. I'd probably have got this anyway but will make sure to do so given their gesture.

Bandcamp Profile