Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminal prog albums you’ve never even listened to

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

To be fair, RIO requires a bit of active ENGAGEMENT (shall we say) from the listener, it does not flow comfortably into the ears without effort.
    Everyone is different Robert. I had to work very very hard to appreciate Trout Mask Replica, while a Jr High School friend got it immediately on one playing (and he's the only reason I went back to work and kept trying on it....)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Is this just a way of saying "I don't like what you like?"
    Yes, one of my questions too.

From my own personal experience, I find that the more I live, the more that I realize that two concepts are more important than many others:

1-our likes and dislikes are relatively meaningless to other people.

2-the only real sin in life is not taking the opportunity that each day holds to follow one's curiosity, expose oneself to new things, and to expand one's awareness.

to both your statements
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    2-the only real sin in life is not taking the opportunity that each day holds to follow one's curiosity, expose oneself to new things, and to expand one's awareness.
    Having a 60-year-old sumo wrestler take a dump on my head while cockroaches crawl over my feet would be a new thing to expose myself to, but it doesn't mean I want to try it.

If someone says X sounds like "band I already hate," I don't feel the need to verify it. (Not related to recent "Pawn Hearts" discussion. )
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Having a 60-year-old sumo wrestler take a dump on my head while cockroaches crawl over my feet would be a new thing to expose myself to, but it doesn't mean I want to try it.

If someone says X sounds like "band I already hate," I don't feel the need to verify it. (Not related to recent "Pawn Hearts" discussion. )
    LOL. I understand.
    It is wise to be able to recognize when one has tried something enough. There is no need to waste time on something that has shown itself to be a dead end to you.

But one of the crazy things about life is that every so often, some of the best things in life are discovered in places that seem to hold no promise at all.
    Knowing when and how to look is an art. Or maybe it is just random.

There is nothing wrong with inexperience. There are no "requirements" to listen to (or not listen to) here on this very helpful forum.

What I LOVE doing is turning people on to new music and being turned onto new music. This Forum is a great place for that. And it is also a great place for discussing things that don't get discussed much.
    I DO feel that a thread like this can help many people. (I like the way it is developing.)

When I finally get around to listening to a band or a style that I have been slow to get to, I see it as an opportunity for learning. I find it exciting. When I encounter someone that have not heard something I value, I really enjoy encouraging them to take a listen. I like spreading the good stuff around. And in some ways, I envy them for what they are about to listen to.

So to the OP, I encourage you to jump in and try listening to more new stuff.

I've heard many 'important' groups that didn't connect with me so I dug no further. Basically, if I liked them, I have most everything that was from the studio, and officially released. PF including solo, Genesis including most solo, Yes Tangerine Dream until the last 10 years which are more hit and miss. The some that I like part way are latter day Soft Machine and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Others don't rate a deep dive but I still enjoy some like ELP, Weather Report and Miles Davis, and Jethro Tull. Then there are the don't like what I have heard at all like VDGG, Gentle Giant.

I still have to try include Zappa, more Miles Davis. Going the other direction I have most all the Moody Blues but rarely listen to them at all anymore.

1-our likes and dislikes are relatively meaningless to other people.

Thanks, man, for two absolutely perfect ways to describe how I go through life...especially #2. Without doing so, you may as well get out the pine box. For me, the day I stop being exposed to new things (not just music) and striving to expand my horizons is the day I pack it in.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

To be fair, RIO requires a bit of active ENGAGEMENT (shall we say) from the listener, it does not flow comfortably into the ears without effort.
    It depends. I loved Henry Cow’s Leg End from the moment I first heard it; it hit me at a very deep, emotional level. OTOH, while not RIO, it took me a couple decades to “get” Ornette Coleman’s late ‘50s/early ‘60s Atlantic work.

I don’t think it’s possible to make generalizations like this, because I’ve experienced far too many exceptions to such things in nearly 54 years of serious music listening (which began around age 10, when I suddenly became really aware of music in a deeper way).
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I've heard many 'important' groups that didn't connect with me so I dug no further. .
    My only comment: sometimes something strikes you immediately; other times, it’s just the wrong day for all kinds of possible reasons, and I find that days, weeks, months...sometimes years later, I suddenly connect with it. It’s happened too many times to me, so now I try to listen to new music on two levels: first, does it move me immediately; if not, are there aspects to it that clearly speak to me enough to know that I should return to it at some time in the future, when it may well turn my crank. It doesn’t always happen but, more often than not, it does.
    John Kelman

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Anything RIO. To me it's just not listenable.
    I've attempted to listen to few of the "essentials" but couldn't make it past one or two, err... songs. Same with zuehl.

Tons of stuff.

Very little neo-prog, for one, very little "90s resurgence AKA Flower Beards". Very little Camel. Not much Rush. The list goes on, but I tend to think more of what's new than what's old.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    My only comment: sometimes something strikes you immediately; other times, it’s just the wrong day for all kinds of possible reasons, and I find that days, weeks, months...sometimes years later, I suddenly connect with it. It’s happened too many times to me, so now I try to listen to new music on two levels: first, does it move me immediately; if not, are there aspects to it that clearly speak to me enough to know that I should return to it at some time in the future, when it may well turn my crank. It doesn’t always happen but, more often than not, it does.
    Yes indeed, some of my favorite art took a number of exposures--really challenging exposures--to finally light up for me. Oftentimes, the more challenging the art, the more satisfying the experience becomes. Many times we are not quite ready for the art. It often requires that we gain more experience and awareness before we can unlock the joy hidden within.

Banned
    I agree with much that has been stated. It's all opinion it seems to me. And in my semi-informed opinion (I'm no Scrotum, Steve F. or J Kelman) there are by definition very few "seminal" "prog" albums and of course definitions are always problematic.

The closest I can come was having a visceral dislike for Tales from Topographic Oceans due mostly to the lyrics and the rambling nature of the album, but then inspired by people here on PE, I revisited it and found that there is a lot of really great, sometime amazing music on that record. If I pulled out everything I liked from that 2-LP set I think I could fabricate a single album that I would really like and rank as a first-rate Yes record for me.

On the other hand, as much I love most of Frank Zappa's music, I never really liked Sheik Yerbouti which was popular to put on at parties back in the day. As soon as I heard "I Have Been in You" I just kinda checked out. I understand it and agree fully that Frampton's song deserved the satiric and derisive treatment, but I still didn't like it and probably never will. Maybe I should revisit that one as well with an open mind and listen to the whole album.

I don't understand someone who considers themselves a progger willfully not at least giving what are considered seminal records a fair audition, especially after decades!

This is interesting... I don't think there's a single seminal (or obscure) prog rock album from the 70's that I haven't owned or heard. Except for one, which is hardly seminal: Love Beach.

Yes, ELP, Genesis, Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush, Camel, Kansas, Gentle Giant, VDGG, Magma, Henry Cow, National Heath, Hatfield, Soft Machine, Matching Mole, etc. etc. I own it all. And all the solo/side project stuff.

However... if you tally up all my bandmates from any group I've ever been in that's been filed under "prog" I would venture to bet that a *majority* of my colleagues haven't heard a single prog rock album from any of the bands above from beginning to end. I would always be on guard to talk shop when prog fans would start asking them questions. I'd get a text like: "Matt, there's somebody at the merch table talking about Rush, can you help?"

- Matt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've attempted to listen to few of the "essentials" but couldn't make it past one or two, err... songs. Same with zuehl.
    My RIO suggestion for "breaking the bubble" is to get into a relaxed receptive mood when you have plenty of time and listen to "Ceux Du Dehors" by Univers Zero on headphones. That was my entry point into RIO and has beautiful arrangements and is fairly melodic and dramatic without being bombastic. RIO is diverse and more of a movement than a genre or specific sound IMO anyway. Regardless, if you really cannot tolerate "Ceux Du Dehors" perhaps RIO is not for you, even though it runs the gambit from rock to jazz to chamber to avant-garde. So it's a bit like saying if you don't like Sargent Pepper you don't like"rock" or if you don't like "Close to the Edge" you don't like "prog". Well maybe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    This is interesting... I don't think there's a single seminal (or obscure) prog rock album from the 70's that I haven't owned or heard. Except for one, which is hardly seminal: Love Beach.
    Easy mistake to make, that one is semenal not seminal...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Easy mistake to make, that one is semenal not seminal...
    I own it, but I am not sure I 've even listened to it once in its entirety.

It's called Zeuhl.

Could you explain why selected works by, say, Genesis or Yes are somehow actual songs whereas those "essential" RIOs you attempted to listen to apparently aren't? You see, this very same sentiment is shared by many hardcore fans of "straight" r&r in regard to much Genesis and Yes.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Well, I suppose there are many seminal neo-prog albums I've never heard. But does "seminal" mean "essential"?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    How would you know?
    You sir, just fed a troll

But there's no reason for pride in never having even heard something. I mean these days, what does it take, two seconds to YouTube anything???
    When looking for something very obscure and IMHO seminal (for ex: my Featured Album threads), I've discovered it can take a few minutes to locate the proper music you're searching from on YT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Everyone is different Robert. I had to work very very hard to appreciate Trout Mask Replica, while a Jr High School friend got it immediately on one playing (and he's the only reason I went back to work and kept trying on it....)
    Yeah, I immediately clicked with Magma's MDK, but my better HS budy and musical mate never did until two decades later.

I'm with Rob (and Steve in a way). I often WTF and Yiked at some of the music I didn't understand (RIO, VdGG and GG), but it doesn't mean I got rid of bthe used albums I'd brought home. But yes, I gave those a few tries before it clicked.

On the other hand, I've often never returned to something I yawned or disliked (because I didn't like, it but undetstood what it was about)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Most Rush albums I've never heard a note of.

I am in a bit of disconnect here...exactly why is it relevant to post this on a Progressive Music forum if you have not listened to what are arguably some of the most characteristic albums of said genre?

I am not trying to be a wise acre, I am genuinely befuddled as to why it is important to point out what you have not listened to. Is there a benefit from avoiding them?
    I hate to say it but it seems to be say you are proud of being closed minded.

Again, I mean no offense...i am just confused.
    OP here.

It is not a willful avoidance, no arms-folded-across-my-chest intention behind not having listened to these albums, and certainly I am not taking pride in it. Rather, I’m just mentioning the irony/incongruity of being a fan who’s heard all kinds of prog nooks and crannies but somehow these core items have never appeared in my listening wheelhouse.

To use an analogy, imagine being a travel buff based in the UK. You’ve visited Tonga, Uruguay, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Iceland but have yet to set foot in France. It’s not due to some basic disdain for France or any underlying animosity towards French style, but even though France may not be a travel priority, it’s simply amusing that a UK based travel buff has never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's called Zeuhl.

Could you explain why selected works by, say, Genesis or Yes are somehow actual songs whereas those "essential" RIOs you attempted to listen to apparently aren't? You see, this very same sentiment is shared by many hardcore fans of "straight" r&r in regard to much Genesis and Yes.
    Well I guess I shouldn't have been so snarky. I guess my response wasn't totally in spirit of the thread since I have attempted to listen to other people's prog rather than simply not listening to them at all. So my apologies.

So much of my prog experiences occured long after the fact anyway. I wouldn't be much of an ambassador for prog since I was late to the game and nearly all the prog that gets talked about on this website, save for a few albums, wouldn't have been on my radar until about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm with Rob (and Steve in a way). I often WTF and Yiked at some of the music I didn't understand (RIO, VdGG and GG), but it doesn't mean I got rid of bthe used albums I'd brought home. But yes, I gave those a few tries before it clicked.
    I have followed up on other people's RIO and Zeuhl recommendations but nothing clicked. Gentle Giant on the other hand did straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    OP here.

It is not a willful avoidance, no arms-folded-across-my-chest intention behind not having listened to these albums, and certainly I am not taking pride in it. Rather, I’m just mentioning the irony/incongruity of being a fan who’s heard all kinds of prog nooks and crannies but somehow these core items have never appeared in my listening wheelhouse.

To use an analogy, imagine being a travel buff based in the UK. You’ve visited Tonga, Uruguay, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Iceland but have yet to set foot in France. It’s not due to some basic disdain for France or any underlying animosity towards French style, but even though France may not be a travel priority, it’s simply amusing that a UK based travel buff has never been there.
    Thank you, Teddy! That helps me understand your post. And yes, there are generally lots of these kinds of holes in any fan of any thing. None of us can get to everything. And I do like the concept of the humorous incredulity that can result from not having gotten to something that seems so clearly right up our alley (or the humor when we DO get to something long-ignored that quickly becomes a favorite).

The way i discovered Camel had that kind of humor. Back in 1978 I was a freshman at college and I engineered a 3-room swap of people so I could get the roommate that I wanted (he had a stove, fridge, stereo, and a large progressive rock collection). One night he played "guess the artist" with me and I was stumped. It sounded glorious but I didn't recognize it. My roomie was shocked that I didn't know the music. And so was I when he said "Camel." I had never heard of them (the album was "Moonmadness"). I still remember our laughs and especially, how enchanted i was at discovering such an amazing band (at the ripe old age of 18).

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    OP here.

It is not a willful avoidance, no arms-folded-across-my-chest intention behind not having listened to these albums, and certainly I am not taking pride in it. Rather, I’m just mentioning the irony/incongruity of being a fan who’s heard all kinds of prog nooks and crannies but somehow these core items have never appeared in my listening wheelhouse..
    Makes sense... THere is only so much time to listen and some things pass us all by. But given that you started the thread, you now have some Christmas Eve homework. Listen to the whole thing and get back to us.