Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminal prog albums you’ve never even listened to

Surprisingly, a number of Jethro Tull albums. Only ever heard the hits off of Aqualung and War Child. Nothing at all off of This Was, Minstrel in the Gallery or Heavy Horses.

Most Porcupine Tree. I’ve heard bits of a number of their albums (as well as the entirety of Wilson’s solo album Hand. Cannot. Erase.). They are not for me.

Lots of prog-metal. I think I’ve heard all of two Opeth albums. Damnation is all right. I struggled to get through Still Life. Again, not for me.

Nothing at all by Tool or The Mars Volta.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    On the other hand, as much I love most of Frank Zappa's music, I never really liked Sheik Yerbouti which was popular to put on at parties back in the day. As soon as I heard "I Have Been in You" I just kinda checked out. I understand it and agree fully that Frampton's song deserved the satiric and derisive treatment, but I still didn't like it and probably never will. Maybe I should revisit that one as well with an open mind and listen to the whole album.
    I would argue that it’s not worth the effort. By this point, Zappa’s “humor” had become noxiously mean-spirited. There’s a few instrumentals on the long, long album and “City of Tiny Lites” is OK, but it’s not really worth the effort. You can hear COTL on any number of live albums in the company of much better music.
    Last edited by Progbear; 12-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've heard just about all the seminal symphonic prog, but I'm not much of a fan of Gentle Giant, so while I've heard their stuff, I probably couldn't tell you what was what. Don't know much of the Italian prog aside from PFM. Like others have mentioned, I don't know much about Ange. Probably the only Magma I've heard are their two Nearfest performances, both of which I walked out of after about 45 minutes each. Not a fan of RIO so I've avoided as much of that as I can. On the other hand, I know just about everything by Zappa which several of you have not heard.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    For me its Zappa. I know its essential stuff and that I will probably like a lot of it. The problem that he was soo damn productive during his (too short) lifespan that I would not know where to start.

I still PLAN to dive in someday.
    Start at the beginning and just GO. You won't love everything - I am a hardcore fanatic and don't love it all - but it's quite the journey! Don't be daunted by the vast number of albums - you will eventually get to them all and have a great grasp on what you dig/don't.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Makes sense... THere is only so much time to listen and some things pass us all by. But given that you started the thread, you now have some Christmas Eve homework. Listen to the whole thing and get back to us.

Yessir.

I just got through Lizard and Islands for the first time. No great revelation for a seasoned vet like myself but good music nonetheless. Happy to finally hear ‘A Sailor’s Tale’.

One of the factors is that there are too many priority artists, most of it captivating stuff well beyond prog boundaries, or new stuff that looks promising in my listening lineup.

Maybe the OP was not explicit enough but it seems to me he never meant bands/artists you don't like or get into... just never listened to (for any reasons). For instance I have a natural tendency to favour obscure, rare or less know bands and pass over the seminal or classic bands which I might (or do) like too... so, I never listened to (or owned) ELP's Trilogy, Works, PINK FLOYD anything after Animals, RUSH Hemispheres and Moving Pictures, YES Tales of..., Drama, Relayer, Going for... , KC Islands and USA,... which is quite strange since I own many other records from these same bands. For some reasons I can't explain I've never considered buying (or listening to) these records. Go figure...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 12-23-2019 at 10:04 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've tried to partake of all things prog. But I'm probably not as good at revisiting things that didn't hit me the first time as I should be. There are acts whose music has made so little impression on me that I've never listened to their entire catalog. ELP is one of those bands. I've listened to Trilogy all the way through, but never Tarkus or Brain Salad Surgery or any other for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Maybe the OP was not explicit enough but it seems to me he never meant bands/artists you don't like or get into... just never listened to (for any reasons). For instance I have a natural tendency to favour obscure, rare or less know bands and pass over the seminal or classic bands which I might (or do) like too... so, I never listened to (or owned) ELP's Trilogy, Works, PINK FLOYD anything after Animals, RUSH Hemispheres and Moving Pictures, YES Tales of..., Drama, Relayer, Going for... , KC Islands and USA,... which is quite strange since I own many other records from these same bands. For some reasons I can't explain I've never considered buying (or listening to) these records. Go figure...
    Yup. That's exactly what I meant. Nothing to do with disliking a particular band.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    I have still never heard Close To The Edge
    this is a joke right?

if there are 250,000 *active* progfans in the world (I say "if")
    this one album is the alter before which at least 20% of them kneel (there also may be another 20% who do not think it's that great at all)

personally (and I am a serious weirdo I know) I've heard every "seminal" album by every artist that has ever been spoken of in all styles of Prog from Symph Rock to Jazz Rock to Avant Rock to Afro Prog to Space Rock/Kosmische to Prog Metal to Zeuhl and whatever other styles there may be. But then, I have actually gone out of my way to do so deliberately... and I've been a progfan since the mid 70s

CTTE is one of those albums that just do not thrill me, doesn't crack my "top 100" Prog albums and wouldn't bother me if I never heard it again. It's not that I hate "safe" Prog or anything like that. It's just too "Prog by the numbers" for me given all the amazing things there are out there to listen to.

EDIT: someone mentioned Neo Prog and I realized that I've only heard a small portion of that stuff. I'm not a fan of emulation/hero-worship.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-24-2019 at 03:07 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Lots of Zappa albums. I hate his "humour".
    I feel ya bro... but he *does* have many instrumental works which are borderline masterpieces... really

try Hot Rats to start
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Maybe the OP was not explicit enough but it seems to me he never meant bands/artists you don't like or get into... just never listened to (for any reasons).
    He was perfectly explicit. We just don't care to read what he said.

As in all things of art, there is a certain canon in progressive rock music. This canon is the product of 50 years of this music being listened, bought, reviewed, taken-in by millions of people and apparently it hasn't emerged on pure accidental reasons. There is a universal consensus that a certain 100-200 records constitute the core collection for progressive rock. These albums do not have to prove their worth. It is for the daring critic to prove on a reasonable basis that an album does not belong there in the first place.

The canon is not to be revered or adored, and obviously one has the right - or even the obligation - to reject and hate parts of the canon. But the canon has to be studied, if one wants to claim some knowledge of the genre we're discussing. You can't study English literature and leave Shakespeare out. But yes, one can say "I don't like Shakespeare, because of his humor", and one can even try to prove that he's not really that great. But only after he has studied Shakespeare.

The study of the canon is essential to understand progressive rock in some depth. There are bands that had huge influence on all others. How can I really appreciate Italian Progressive Rock if I am clueless about ELP, Jethro Tull or King Crimson? How can I get what the Banco guy is doing on the piano when I don't know who Keith Emerson is? Some historical context is necessary in order to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I feel ya bro... but he *does* have many instrumental works which are borderline masterpieces... really

try Hot Rats to start
    I have Hot Rats and like it. In fact I know Zappa's music quite well and have even read multiple books about him (he is very unpleasant but fascinating character). I just HATE his vocal stuff and because of that I have ignored lots of his albums that contain lyrics. And will continue to do so.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 12-24-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

OP here.

It is not a willful avoidance, no arms-folded-across-my-chest intention behind not having listened to these albums, and certainly I am not taking pride in it. Rather, I’m just mentioning the irony/incongruity of being a fan who’s heard all kinds of prog nooks and crannies but somehow these core items have never appeared in my listening wheelhouse.

To use an analogy, imagine being a travel buff based in the UK. You’ve visited Tonga, Uruguay, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Iceland but have yet to set foot in France. It’s not due to some basic disdain for France or any underlying animosity towards French style, but even though France may not be a travel priority, it’s simply amusing that a UK based travel buff has never been there.
    That is more or less the way I understood your post.
    Some stuff just has flown under my radar, like it was released when I was to young to buy everything I wanted and when I grew older my musical interest broadened, so those classic albums I didn't care for to hear. And of course, there is classic stuff that isn't just my cup of tea. Tipped my foot in the water and decided it wasn't for me. On the other hand some older Pink Floyd (before Dark side of the moon), I bought recently. Tales from topografic oceans, I seem to have avoided till today, probably because Rick Wakeman was so dismisive about it.
    And sometimes, I think "Why should I listen to something, that isn't available on CD", yes, I might like it, but if I can't buy, I rather leave it unnoticed, before I get frustrated, because there is something I like to have, but can't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    As in all things of art, there is a certain canon in progressive rock music. This canon is the product of 50 years of this music being listened, bought, reviewed, taken-in by millions of people and apparently it hasn't emerged on pure accidental reasons. There is a universal consensus that a certain 100-200 records constitute the core collection for progressive rock. These albums do not have to prove their worth. It is for the daring critic to prove on a reasonable basis that an album does not belong there in the first place.

The canon is not to be revered or adored, and obviously one has the right - or even the obligation - to reject and hate parts of the canon. But the canon has to be studied, if one wants to claim some knowledge of the genre we're discussing. You can't study English literature and leave Shakespeare out. But yes, one can say "I don't like Shakespeare, because of his humor", and one can even try to prove that he's not really that great. But only after he has studied Shakespeare.

The study of the canon is essential to understand progressive rock in some depth. There are bands that had huge influence on all others. How can I really appreciate Italian Progressive Rock if I am clueless about ELP, Jethro Tull or King Crimson? How can I get what the Banco guy is doing on the piano when I don't know who Keith Emerson is? Some historical context is necessary in order to understand.
    Ummm... no?

Because neither I, nor most people here, are writing an academic paper on prog.

What’s with all this ‘study’?

What’s with this notion of not being able to appreciate a piece of music unless one has studied the entire canon (the alternatives to which, I might add, are not reducible nor equivalent to being ‘clueless’). I have musical reference points. These may or may not help me to appreciate the music I’m listening to.

To use my travel analogy again, it’s like someone saying that they’ve been all over the Indian subcontinent but never quite got around to Agra and the Taj Mahal. And the critic responds with ‘But the Taj is iconic! How can you say that can enjoy or appreciate the Indian subcontinent without having studied — note here how the verb has shifted from ‘seen’ to ‘studied’ — the Taj!’

And then suddenly down the slippery slope we go: ‘How can you enjoy the backwaters of Kerala without having learned Indian history! Some historical context is necessary to understand (so now we’ve shifted the verb again from ‘enjoy’ to ‘understand’ AND the force of the rhetoric has moved from one not having heard/seen a few iconic items to having no grasp of context whatsoever.)

Ummm... no?

What’s with this notion of not being able to appreciate a piece of music unless one has studied the entire canon (the alternatives to which, I might add, are not reducible nor equivalent to being ‘clueless’). I have musical reference points. These may or may not help me to appreciate the music I’m listening to.

To use my travel analogy again, it’s like someone saying that they’ve been all over the Indian subcontinent but never quite got around to Agra and the Taj Mahal. And the critic responds with ‘But the Taj is iconic! How can you say that can enjoy or appreciate the Indian subcontinent without having studied — note here how the verb has shifted from ‘seen’ to ‘studied’ — the Taj!’

And then suddenly down the slippery slope we go: ‘How can you enjoy the backwaters of Kerala without having learned Indian history! Some historical context is necessary to understand (so now we’ve shifted the verb again from ‘enjoy’ to ‘understand’ AND the force of the rhetoric has moved from one not having heard/seen a few iconic items to having no grasp of context whatsoever.)
    Of course you would take an extreme opposite to repel what I am writing. Like you were offended by it, or the word "study". What kind of an idiot would suggest "study" music in our days? What kind of a douche would imply that one could get greater pleasure from art through a deeper knowledge of it? One likes what one likes, right?

I never wrote you need to know the entire canon to appreciate things. Read what I wrote, don't twist my words. It's very clear from your writings that you have a wide knowledge of it, so this wasn't directed at you to feel offended. But yes, if you give some time to Close to the Edge, you may perceive Anglagaard, or Cathedral or Dream Theater from a different view. You may understand where these bands are rooted.

It's not about writing academic papers. It's about shifting your listening process. Because we don't just listen with the ear, but with our minds, and hearts, and the whole body.

Yes, the deeper the understanding the greater the pleasure. If that implies an effort from the part of the listener, all the more so. One needs to extricate beauty from life, it doesn't come free. If of course one feels the need to, if he's not getting it effortlessly with whatever is present, if he hasn't given up altogether any aspirations towards it.

Banned
    Ummm... no?

What’s with this notion of not being able to appreciate a piece of music unless one has studied the entire canon ...
    Ummm....Yes!

Zap is not talking about appreciation he is talking about depth of understanding. In fact he specifically stated you have the "right - or even the obligation - to reject and hate parts of the canon" and did not say you can't appreciate a piece without studying the entire canon. He did not write that, you just assumed it.

Your metaphors do not work for me at all either. I have traveled in India and can assure you that the more you study the history the more you appreciate it. I can't imagine visiting the Taj without knowing the incredible story of the love Shah Jahan had for his wife, or his son who locked him up in the Red Fort where he had a view of his beloved Taj from his prison window until his death.

Enjoying the backwaters of Kerela, which I've also done, is not a "cultural" activity and therefore has no bearing on learning Indian history just like you don't need to know anything about the US. Labor Movement or Haymarket Riot to appreciate the Grand Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Of course you would take an extreme opposite to repel what I am writing. Like you were offended by it, or the word "study". What kind of an idiot would suggest "study" music in our days? What kind of a douche would imply that one could get greater pleasure from art through a deeper knowledge of it? One likes what one likes, right?

I never wrote you need to know the entire canon to appreciate things. Read what I wrote, don't twist my words. It's very clear from your writings that you have a wide knowledge of it, so this wasn't directed at you to feel offended. But yes, if you give some time to Close to the Edge, you may perceive Anglagaard, or Cathedral or Dream Theater from a different view. You may understand where these bands are rooted.

It's not about writing academic papers. It's about shifting your listening process. Because we don't just listen with the ear, but with our minds, and hearts, and the whole body.

Yes, the deeper the understanding the greater the pleasure. If that implies an effort from the part of the listener, all the more so. One needs to extricate beauty from life, it doesn't come free. If of course one feels the need to, if he's not getting it effortlessly with whatever is present, if he hasn't given up altogether any aspirations towards it.
    Allow me to be unambiguous by using the following example.

I know that ELP influenced Le Orme. But this neither does nor will affect my enjoyment or appreciation of any given Le Orme song or album. And I certainly don’t believe that suddenly I will get Le Orme at some deeper level by listening to Brain Salad Surgery. Whatever aesthetic or historical connections there may be between the two (which may be of interest to music writers and historians) I can and will enjoy Le Orme on its own merits.

Music is an immediate thing. Academic and/or factual Understanding and pleasure exist on two different plains. Only occasionally do they intersect. Knowing how a certain food is made will not usually help me to enjoy or appreciate the taste.

Anyway, I’m never offended, but yes, I did think you were chiding me for admitting not having listened to CTTE in a rather snobbish, overblown, and not particularly defendable, manner.

Sorry, one more thing. There is a categorical difference between sharpening ones listening skills to develop deeper appreciation of music (which is, of course, perfectly valid, even necessary for the serious listener) and having an academic understanding of styles or performers who preceded it (which is not).

Anyway, I’m not one to really engage in drawn-out differing points of views in forums...

I do enjoy reading Zap and BB’s takes on most things on PE but I’m not square on this one.

Banned
    ^^^

That's fine, it would be boring if we all agreed on everything and it is easy to be misinterpreted - it happens to me all the time and often is is my fault. Nobody has a monopoly on the truth. I have the unfortunate habit of sometimes injecting my personal venom into various discussions which is why the moderators (deep state) keep a file on me...

You can certainly write though, which I appreciate, regardless of the content.

I barely ever argue anymore - at least online. In most cases I have no vested interest in whether the other guy agrees with me or not. I say my bit and move on.

Allow me to be unambiguous by using the following example.

I know that ELP influenced Le Orme. But this neither does nor will affect my enjoyment or appreciation of any given Le Orme song or album. And I certainly don’t believe that suddenly I will get Le Orme at some deeper level by listening to Brain Salad Surgery. Whatever aesthetic or historical connections there may be between the two (which may be of interest to music writers and historians) I can and will enjoy Le Orme on its own merits.

Music is an immediate thing. Academic and/or factual Understanding and pleasure exist on two different plains. Only occasionally do they intersect. Knowing how a certain food is made will not usually help me to enjoy or appreciate the taste.

Anyway, I’m never offended, but yes, I did think you were chiding me for admitting not having listened to CTTE in a rather snobbish, overblown, and not particularly defendable, manner.
    Considering we are on a site that caters to the appreciation and understanding of progressive rock, one would think that we are here to go beyond the facile and "immediate thing"; rather, it is to gain insight, and gather a least a smattering of in-depth knowledge of the compositions themselves and not just listening to songs on a jukebox.

Your take that "knowing how a certain food is made will not usually help me to enjoy or appreciate the taste" would be counterintuitive to a gourmand who appreciates what is exactly in the food they are eating and how it is prepared; likewise, there are those that just guzzle wine without caring for its complexities and the varietal grapes used in its making. I suppose it's the difference between being a drunk and a connoisseur.

The same can be said of music. For instance, when I started playing guitar as a teenager I loved Cream, Zeppelin, the Stones, the Allman Brothers, early Fleetwood Mac, etc. It wasn't until I understood that these bands were merely imitating Elmore James, Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters that I got a clearer and more profound understanding and appreciation of blues as a whole.

As far as seminal recordings in the prog vein, I am rather surprised, honestly, that you claim never to have heard Close to the Edge. Is it some kind of stubbornness thing? Some sort of mania that precludes listening to Yes? I mean, you have had to have seen the album being mentioned at least a hundred times on this site, along with other classic mainstays that have been around for nearly 50 years, like Thick as a Brick, Selling England by the Pound, In the Court of the Crimson King, Dark Side of the Moon, etc. Not wishing to be denigrating, but it just seems odd. My appreciation of this genre has been heightened just by suggestions that other posters have made on this site. There's a suggestion for you.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

There is a categorical difference between sharpening ones listening skills to develop deeper appreciation of music (which is, of course, perfectly valid, even necessary for the serious listener) and having an academic understanding of styles or performers who preceded it (which is not).
    You raise a salient point here.

It's possible to love & appreciate all sorts of music without having the slightest idea about time signatures, keys, scales, inversions, choruses and diminished chords. All that stuff is important to dissecting music... but once dissected, it's not music anymore.

PS - Did you know Julian Lennon's dad was in a band???

In all honesty, my argument was not directed at you. I've been reading your posts with interest the few years I've been around and know that you very well have points of reference. But what if I throw Le Orme on my 15 years old daughter right now? She wouldn't know a thing, because she lacks basic knowledge. She misses the foundation to be able to recieve this sort of music, in any immediate manner.

A certain familiarity with the canon is part of the point of reference you are mentioning. I was unable to enjoy more complex music, because I was missing the essential knowledge to be able to unlock it. It was my own loss - judging from the tons of aesthetic pleasure that I got when I finally got around with it. (I am pretty sure we've had the same discussion elsewhere!)

Admitting you haven't listened to Close to the Edge was pretty funny and brave. It's not that good of an album anyway 😁

I guess if you are a fan of the genre, I can't really understand why you've not heard the seminal albums. I would imagine being curious about what the fuss is about for a given record and wanting to hear for myself. I'd hate to think I'd be missing out on some great music. After you listened to it, I could understand not liking it, but ignoring it altogether, I just don't get. I suppose if you aren't a fan of the specific genre, Symph, Avant, or whatever, I can see avoiding it. Given YouTube, as someone has said, I just can't fathom ignoring a work considered seminal. I've experienced this with Krautrock. I listened to the seminal records by Can and their ilk and just didn't like them. I'm glad I at least investigated. I never had to purchase any of the records to see if they piqued my interest like I would have had to have done in the old days. Oh, well. We're all different. There's always people on the asymptotic end of the curve who defy what I consider to be reason! No offense! One person's reason is another's foolhardiness!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's pretty clear to me after being on PE for 15yrs or so that whether one is a musician or not plays a big role in musical tastes. I'm not a musician and have only a basic knowledge of music constructs. Nor do I have an agenda with regards to any particular genre. I started coming around here for recs and have appreciated all that I have received. But, if read that "band x" is reminiscent of an album or artist I dislike, then its unlikely I'll give it a listen. Same with particular styles and genres. If I wanted to be a music expert in a particular genre then sure, I'd need to study what was considered the seminal works of that genre. All I've ever wanted from music is to be entertained.