Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Seminal prog albums you’ve never even listened to

^^^^^^^^^

I am actually HUGELY lukewarm on Kind Of Blue, but it certainly is considered ‘the greatest’ by many...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    if collabs had to justify their decision on when Genesis stopped being prog the resulting conflagration would probably have destroyed the Universe. People would certainly have been killed.
    Possibly.

But Yes would have still been here to save us.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

On that list http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog...umtypes=1#list

40 albums I dont own,
    24 albums I don't recall I ever heard

I can sleep to Kind of Blue...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

I am actually HUGELY lukewarm on Kind Of Blue, but it certainly is considered ‘the greatest’ by many...
    Yeah, it’s almost conventional wisdom but I’ve never really bought it. I mean it's 1959, it’s Davis, Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, Chambers and Cobb - of course it’s good, how could it not be? But the hype it gets is unwarranted IMO. It’s not even near the top of Davis's output, let alone the whole of jazz.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looks like there's around 12 i don't own or haven't heard, mainly Opeth, Dream Theater and Marillion.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Only band that would fit that criteria for me is Genesis. I just never "got" them back in the day, something about their music sounded just too abstract and random for me... although when I did hear "Dance on a Volcano" on the radio I liked it. None of my proghead friends were into them either in the 70's. I think I borrowed an album from someone or even checked one out from the library to give it a try but I'm sure I took the album off before it was even halfway through. Ironically, when bands like IQ, Ad Infinitum and others do passages that are considered blatant steals of Genesis, I really like those parts but have no desire to hear the originals because I like the "copies" better...
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

There are 21 albums I have not heard from the PA list:

1. Jethro Tull: Aqualung*
    2. Opeth: Still Life*
    3. All Traps on Earth: A Drop of Light (what even is this? If it was ever discussed here, I sure didn’t hear it!)
    4. Mike Oldfield: Ommadawn
    5. Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
    6. Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet
    7. Opeth: Blackwater Park
    8. Riverside: Second Life Syndrome
    9. Opeth: Ghost Reveries
    10. Porcupine Tree: In Absentia
    11. Miles Davis: In a Silent Way
    12. IQ: Road of Bones*
    13. Billy Cobham: Spectrum
    14. Magma: K.A**
    15. Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte*
    16. Pain of Salvation: The Perfect Element— Part 1
    17. Pain of Salvation: Remedy Lane
    18. Queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime
    19. Tool: Lateralus
    20. Al DiMeola: Elegant Gypsy
    21. Phideaux: Doomsday Afternoon*

*I have heard parts of these albums, but not in their entirety.
    **I have never heard the studio album, but I heard this piece performed in its entirety live in concert.
    Last edited by Progbear; 12-27-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All Traps on Earth: A Drop of Light (what even is this? If it was ever discussed here, I sure didn’t hear it!)
    it was lauded vociferously in the 'best of 2018' thread here, starting around page 9...
    that's where I learned of it and had to give it a try... and it *is* quite good!
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 12-27-2019 at 03:34 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Out of the pa top 100 I own 63, have heared 10 and never heared 27.

I score low on the 'have heared' because i do not have a subsciption to an unlimited streamimg service. Those 10 are mainly albums I used to have on tape as a kid and never bought on cd.

A lot of zappa and italian prog on my not heared list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

40 albums I dont own,

I checked twice , not one Soft Machine record...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I guess there's a few albums I have not heard which some may consider "seminal". Those would be any Steven Wilson stuff after Signify
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I've heard about 80 of the top 100. The 20 I haven't heard are mostly because I'm not a fan of the genre represented. The list has a lot of questionable choices, but the top 10 is a pretty good representation of "Pop-prog", if you will. I think it'd be hard to be a fan of prog music and not have heard those top 10 records. Even if you're into the avant side of music, those records had to be in the early stages of music appreciation before they were left behind for dissonance and multiple and complex time changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The list has a lot of questionable choices

Genres missing, and bands mentioned several times (when there is only 100 'slots')

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Out of the pa top 100 I own 63, have heared 10 and never heared 27.

I score low on the 'have heared' because i do not have a subsciption to an unlimited streamimg service. Those 10 are mainly albums I used to have on tape as a kid and never bought on cd.

A lot of zappa and italian prog on my not heared list.
    Of the 100 I don't own 28 mostly because they are RIO or some kind of metal or newer symph weenie stuff.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I have listened to every LP on PA's Top 100.
    I own most of them.
    I like most of them.
    I love some of them.

If people are super high on an artist or album I will surely check it out. It's easy these days with Youtube, Spotify and Bandcamp.
    Prog's Not Dead

Genres missing, and bands mentioned several times (when there is only 100 'slots')
    This is true, but it should be noted that it's not a curated list, just the result of applying an algorithm to the sum total of ratings given by members of PA to the albums on the database. As far as I understand it the algorithm gives greater weight to ratings with reviews than bare ratings, and greater weight to collaborators' ratings/reviews than those of general members.

So there's no point in looking for coherence in the list, it's just a popularity contest amongst a self-selected audience.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I think there's 22 in that Top 100 I have not heard. Some are prog-metally type things. Others are by Italian bands, though I do have and enjoy things like Per Un Amico and Darwin!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it's an album's worth of the best sound ideas from Welcome, so I'm pretty sure you'll like it
    Yep, Caravanserai is my favorite, Welcome is my 2nd of theirs.

I've heard or owned a meager 35 on that list. Being that there are a good deal of Genesis and Italian bands on that list, that accounts for a good chunk of what I haven't heard. Only one IQ album? For shame! No TFK or Spock's Beard? BAH! Opeth's "Still Life" higher-ranked than "Blackwater Park" or "Ghost Reveries"? I heard that one once and it sounded too early in their career like they hadn't settled into their signature sound yet (if signature sound can be considered the growl era since they have abandoned that vocal style for 2 or 3 albums now)...
    "Moustache stays right where it's at" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

Not by me. I enjoy it, but I'm with you. Others I like quite a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it was lauded vociferously in the 'best of 2018' thread here, starting around page 9...
    that's where I learned of it and had to give it a try... and it *is* quite good!
    I see that this was a November release. I understand that certain things are beyond an artist’s control, but releasing your album towards the end of a year is a good way for me (and presumably others) to miss it.

Sampling this now and...why didn’t someone jab me with a cattle prod? It’s basically Änglagård 2.0!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I see that this was a November release. I understand that certain things are beyond an artist’s control, but releasing your album towards the end of a year is a good way for me (and presumably others) to miss it.

Sampling this now and...why didn’t someone jab me with a cattle prod? It’s basically Änglagård 2.0!
    and this year it's the Hooffoot album that gets the late addition

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Yeah, it’s almost conventional wisdom but I’ve never really bought it. I mean it's 1959, it’s Davis, Coltrane, Adderley, Evans, Chambers and Cobb - of course it’s good, how could it not be? But the hype it gets is unwarranted IMO. It’s not even near the top of Davis's output, let alone the whole of jazz.
    Wow - talk about taking iconoclasm to a new level! (lol)

Apparently, Close to the Edge is middling Yes at best...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Wow - talk about taking iconoclasm to a new level! (lol)

Apparently, Close to the Edge is middling Yes at best...

My take is that I don't see Kind of Blue as overhyped. Because hype is not what its about. It's the very definition of a seminal album that acts as a reference point for jazz like A Love Supreme or Time Out.

I would compare it to In the Court of the Crimson King.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

40 albums I dont own,

Me as well.

Like Gnosis, I think everyone has to view this list within the context that it goes by a composite of user's ratings. Some of the albums on this list are "flavors of the month". I'm not saying that as a bad thing mind you. It's great that Wobbler and All Traps have an album so highly regarded, but you can't factor in the "test of time" aspect to this.

I've rated 98 of the albums on the list. The only ones missing are Opeth Still Life and PoS Remedy Lane (both on Spotify, so I'll listen this weekend).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.