Thread: Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning (Reissue 2020)

Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning (Reissue 2020)

Steven's second solo album is getting the reissue treatment from Kscope next month, with the original double cd edition being bundled with the bluray edition for a budget priced triple disc set.

No new material, or remixes, but if you've stuck with the cds so far, then this edition might be worth double-dipping for the bluray, which has additional material not on the cds.

I've put together a blog (p)review which you might find helpful:

Steven Wilson – Grace For Drowning (Reissue 2020) (*****)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Hopefully the BluRay will contain demos with the jazz Wilson promised when GfD was first announced.

Great review of an album I still love. From GfD forward, while I’ve usually reviewed the main album (here’s my Grace for Drowning review at All About Jazz, back when it was first released), I’ve always purchased the deluxe hardcover editions, with high res stereo & surround mixes, demos and plenty of wonderful text and/or imagery. So I don’t need this reissue, but I’m glad he’s doing them, and you’re mentioning it means I’ll be putting it on shortly, so thanks for tha.

Additional comment (after original post was made): the Blu Ray included in the new package does mirror the original separate BR release, but like that first high res audio edition, only includes, AFAIK, two bonus tracks: “Home in Negative” and “Fluid Tap.” The remaining four bonus tracks, included on the Deluxe hardcover edition’s third CD (along with “Double Negative” and “Fluid Tap”) but not on the Blu Ray disc, remain exclusive...

...but wait! Since I usually rip Blu ray audio so I can play on my DAP, I have missed, for nearly a decade, the video features on the BR and the demos also provided..my bad and I’m so sorry to have misled anyone...

....but I am still not sure if everything on the third CD is on the BR disc. I’ll have to check more carefully now, and get back on that. But I will say this: what a great surprise to discover that the album I thought I knew now has more features than I thought!

Sorry everyone!!
    Last edited by jkelman; 12-23-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I love this album, probably my favourite album of the 21st century with Hand Cannot Erase and The Raven close behind. I already have the cd, Blu Ray & vinyl, if I could find an excuse to buy this album again I would since I just cant get enough of it!

Definitely his finest moment but what's the reason for a reissue? You can find the original press by hundreds.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Definitely his finest moment but what's the reason for a reissue?
    Could it be... money?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Definitely his finest moment but what's the reason for a reissue? You can find the original press by hundreds.
    If you read my opening post, you'll see that the original two cd edition is being expanded to include the bluray edition which was previously sold separately, and more expensively.

But the Blu Ray is out of print, you don't have to buy it

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    But the Blu Ray is out of print, you don't have to buy it
    Oh that music industry; sometimes it overcomes me...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Could it be... money?
    Honestly, with sales like his and tours that draw as he does, I don't think that's a particularly compelling reason for him to do it. I think, more to the point, is keeping everything in print and, with the BR out of print, it seems like a good way (and at a decent price) to offer it to those who didn't go for it the first time around and who are now into higher res music. I could be wrong, of course, but that would make sense to me.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Ha!
    I just found out thanks to this discussion that there are demo-versions on the BR-disc. Had a listen to them recently. They're interesting, though not very different to the finished mixes.
    Thanks for pointing it out!

I don't see any reason to get this again, but it is by far my favorite Steven Wilson album and the one I reach for when needing an SW fix.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Steven Wilson's new album The Harmony Codex will be released soon. In the meantime, I wrote a short review of Grace For Drowning, one of my favourites from Wilson's extensive output. https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-st...drowning-2011/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/