Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fish - Weltschmerz

“Weltschmerz” is one of my favourite German words.

The dark sibling of ”Zeitgeist”, if you will
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    The dark sibling of ”Zeitgeist”, if you will
    Be in possession of both words and they will forever belong to your most precious Habseligkeiten.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I love Fish but 33.00 for the cd and nearly 50.00 for the lp. The shipping makes these very expensive for those in the US.
    That's why you order the deluxe version!

From the day they sent it to the day it arrived in MN, it took 13 days. That is super fast!

Listened to the 5.1 mix and think it's great. The album has good pacing. I like that the first song builds quite a bit before everything comes in.
    There are a few parts where Fish sings with vibrato and I wonder why he really never used that before, because it really makes him sound even better.
    On first listen, I would say Rose of Damascus is my favorite song, but I know that'll probably change.
    Overall it's a fine way to end an amazing recording career.

I can't wait for the remasters of Vigil and Internal.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ I have a hard time remembering this, but I don’t think they’re doing new reissues of both of these - maybe they’re doing one? Probably Progatron rememberers. There’s a thread I started about these reissues ages ago called Fish Reissue Plans or something like that where we discussed this. Look toward the end of the thread. Something about not having the master tapes I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ I have a hard time remembering this, but I don’t think they’re doing new reissues of both of these - maybe they’re doing one? Probably Progatron rememberers. There’s a thread I started about these reissues ages ago called Fish Reissue Plans or something like that where we discussed this. Look toward the end of the thread. Something about not having the master tapes I think.
    He has talked about it several times on fish on Friday. He finally got the rights or the permission to remaster vigil and he already had control over internal exile

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    That is a really nice, thorough review Michael, I enjoyed reading it Thanks for posting.
    I appreciate the kind words. Thanks for reading it!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Excellent album review, telling me everything I need to know about the music and the contents and packaging.

It's funny to see so many folk mentioning Waverley Steps, as I climbed up them most days on the way to work, before Covid.
    I thought it worthwhile letting people know what the extra money would get them and in this case I thought that extra cash was well spent. Many reviews don't give enough details about the extras and the packaging to help people make that decision. Thanks for reading!
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Giving this a listen today. Really enjoying it. I've never really dived into Fish's solo stuff, but this is really good. I'll have to check out more later.

"Garden of Remembrance" is just wonderful melancholy. It really hits, emotionally.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Giving this a listen today. Really enjoying it. I've never really dived into Fish's solo stuff, but this is really good. I'll have to check out more later.

"Garden of Remembrance" is just wonderful melancholy. It really hits, emotionally.
    Fish has done quite a few really good albums IMO. His solo catalogue is well worth exploring.

I second that! I have all of his solo releases over the years. All are very good, but this is his best in years!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I second that! I have all of his solo releases over the years. All are very good, but this is his best in years!
    I think I actually liked his last one "Feast Of Consequences" better. In fact I might argue that it is my favorite album from him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think I actually liked his last one "Feast Of Consequences" better. In fact I might argue that it is my favorite album from him.
    Me too. Except I think that Sunsets On Empire is even little bit better.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Me too. Except I think that Sunsets On Empire is even little bit better.
    "Sunsets" and "Feast" would be my top two. Hard to say which one I like better though.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    That.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think so too, but it's really close. Both of them are among his best.

Not sure if this has already been posted, the Farewell Clutching at Straws shows are issued in this box set was released back in February and looks really cool for both Fish and Marillion fans:

https://store.fishmusic.scot/store/a...018-cd-dvd/190

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Not sure if this has already been posted, the Farewell Clutching at Straws shows are issued in this box set was released back in February and looks really cool for both Fish and Marillion fans:

https://store.fishmusic.scot/store/a...018-cd-dvd/190
    Whoa! That looks pretty nice! And how cool that John Beck was on keyboards for one of those shows. I guess that's only on the DVD and not on the CDs, but still -- pretty awesome! Clutching is still my favorite of the Fish era Marillion, and I may have to grab one of these.

Thanks for the heads up.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I've got this (of course!). The CDs are very good, I don't think I've watched the DVD yet.

He's releasing a set of the final "Vigil" performance later this year.

The eons are closing
    Ah...he did Tux On too! Ok + ordering

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    ^ I've got this (of course!). The CDs are very good, I don't think I've watched the DVD yet.
    The stains say it all.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Ah...he did Tux On too! Ok + ordering
    Wow. Same here. Ordered it straight away!

He's releasing a set of the final "Vigil" performance later this year.
    How is the Farewell to Childhood set, if you have that one? I saw John Beck was on the keys for that too, and I'm a huge fan of his work with It Bites and elsewhere.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    How is the Farewell to Childhood set, if you have that one? I saw John Beck was on the keys for that too, and I'm a huge fan of his work with It Bites and elsewhere.
    Sound quality and performance is not that great IMO

Ordered, thanks!