Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you listen to your Music?

Where do you listen to your Music?

I thought this might be interesting to discuss our listen habits, so I made four categories, hopefully I did not leave anything out. I'll go first, it's not scientific, just an estimate:

Computer: 40%
    Automobile: 40%
    MP3 Player/Phone: 15%
    Home Stereo: 5%

Computer: 70% ( Mostly at work, but also when surfing at home )
    Auto: 15% ( an average, my commute is 10 minutes but a few times a year it is several hours at a time ) primary CD listening post after purchases
    Phone: 5% ( on plane flights and hotel rooms ) it's the same source for the car
    Home Stereo:10% ( mostly streamed in the house to various speakers, I will use the "Hi-Fi" for SACD, 5.1, or concert dvd's )
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Home stereo 85%
    Automobile 14%
    Computer 1%

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Home stereo (CDs + Pandora): 85%
    Computer (online): 10%
    Car (radio, CDs or USB): 4%
    TV (Pandora): 1%

Mostly in my car these days Not as much in the home as I used to because my wife complains about the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ember
    Home, 80% (I'm retired, so that's where I am).

Of that, 60% on headphones, 30% on the primary HT system, and 10% other systems around the house (a streaming system in the bedroom, waterproof BT speakers in the bathroom [also our travel speakers], connected speakers in the kitchen, etc.).
    Not home, 20%. Of that, 50% in the car and 50% on headphones.

It has been a real boon to be able to keep 80GB of music on my phone that can be easily connected to whatever device I'm near, for continuity. Only on the HT system am I using physical media.

Lately, since I got unlimited data i listen to music on YouTube 80 percent ( earbuds, home system, auto thanks to bluetooth). CDs the other 20 percent. I'd still rather buy CDs but brick and mortar stores are non existent, and at my age not sure i want or need more physical product.

Computer, home and at work when I can:80%
    Car: 15%
    Stereo: 4%
    Phone: 1%
    Spotify and YouTube on the computer. A good part of the time is spent learning songs on my acoustic bass guitar. Currently working on Cream songs for our tribute band, Fresh Cream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the train/bus to and from work, through studio monitor headphones plugged into a Hi-Res music player: 78%
    At home kicked back in my recliner, through my home theater system: 22%
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I tend to avoid listening to music at work, and if I do, it's via earbuds. But it doesn't mean I don't post on different forums, though. >> insignificant amount of listening time .
    At home via the computer and web, I'd say 10/20% and my labtech speakers and when I'm gone on a trip (such as present at my mother's place), I will even spin the odd CD in my laptop but usually through my Sennheiser headphones

in the car, I'm systematically listening to music, since my Belgian talk radio disappeared from the Dutch airwaves (thanks to DAB+ switching, and suppression of AM radio); and listening time amount to +/- account for 30 or 40% of my music binge, but it's mostly the new stuff I bought

The rest is on either of my hi-fi chain, but the one in Holland gets more use (during the week), cos my w-e time in Brussels is too precious to spend time stck in front of my speakers.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Now that I work from home its pretty much 98% from my ipod attached to external speakers. the other 2% would be the time before I fall asleep listening to whatever I asked for on the Echo Dot - usually half a song and I'm out for the count.

CDs that I own: 80% in the car, 20% at home. At home is on my laptop as I don't have a stereo.

I will listen to music at work but it's live shows on Youtube or finding new bands on stoner rock channels.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Usually
    30% car
    30% computer
    20% iPhone with earbuds
    20% 40 year old stereo

Almost 100% at work through ear buds. I bring in music on a stick drive and load it to my work Mac. Recently we got a computer upgrade. Why is it whenever you get an upgrade, whether from work or from Apple, they take something away? My new work Mac has 250 gigs less storage than my last one (500 down to 250). So now I have to be judicious about what I keep on the work Mac and what I delete after listening. When I do listen at home, it's CDs or vinyl from a full stereo system.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

During the day, usually on my living room system (Tetra 333 stack, Leema Tucana II integrated amp, OPPO UDP-205 and, of streaming from my Mac, Apple TV 4K (but everything fed through the OPPO, including the TV, in order to use it’s great DAC)). If Rio’s there, I listen on my Mac in the office, which, in addition to a decent Blu Ray player/ripper hanging off of it, also has an OPPO HA-1 Headphone amp/DAC hanging off it, and connected to that, a Paradigm Shift MilleniaOne CT Multimedia System (2.1) that ain’t Tetra, but for a computer system, is still pretty darn sweet.

In bed (since I need music to sleep and Rio needs silence!), I use a Cayin n5iiS DAP and a set of Westone UM 30 PRO IEMs...though if I’m out of the house, it’s a coin toss between the Westones and a set of OPPO PM-3 planar magnetic over-ear headphones.

Last (and a recent acquisition), when I’m traveling, I’ve now got a 2.2 system that’s not tiny but is portable enough, consisting of two MINIRIG 3s and two MINIRIG subs. Portable, though you need a good chunk of space for them, I never thought I’d be able to get this kinda sound on the road. So when Rio and I go to Ireland next July for 3.5 weeks to visit family and friends (we’re renting a house in Dingle and having them come to us rather than us doing all the traveling, which is just too brutal now), we’ll have a kickass system.

And, with the lion’s share of our music contained on a collection of themed microSd cards (closing in on 30, ranging in size from 200 to 400GB, with the music stored in CD quality or better, using ALAC), all kept in a nice concise little travel case, we can have everything we’ve got ripped (which is almost everything, and soon it will be all of it) with us. So whatever the mood, we’ve got it totally covered, we’ve just gotta swap cards out (Rio will also be getting a Cayin soon, and we have two OPUS DAPs - a #1 and #1s - that we keep as spares and, with all four DAPs sporting two microSD slots supporting up to 400Gb per, it means that, not including internal storage (between 32 and 64Gb), we can have 3.2TB of music available without even having to swap cards.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so perfectly covered, and in a position where, unless something breaks, I see no further reason to upgrade anything. I couldn’t be happier.
    Last edited by jkelman; 12-23-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    In bed (since I need music to sleep and Rio needs silence!), I use a Cayin n5iiS DAP and a set of Westone UM 30 PRO IEMs...though if I’m out of the house, it’s a coin toss between the Westones and a set of OPPO PM-3 planar magnetic over-ear headphones.
    I wish I could sleep with any kind of IEMs or buds in my ears. It would help when we're traveling and staying in hotels. Fortunately my wife and I long ago settled on the separate bedroom approach, which makes everything work better. I have a pair of venerable Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance speakers installed at the head of the bed, usually connected to an Amazon Echo Dot and a cheap Class D amp, that I use for my sleepytime music when I'm alone, or other music when I'm... not.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I wish I could sleep with any kind of IEMs or buds in my ears. It would help when we're traveling and staying in hotels. Fortunately my wife and I long ago settled on the separate bedroom approach, which makes everything work better. I have a pair of venerable Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance speakers installed at the head of the bed, usually connected to an Amazon Echo Dot and a cheap Class D amp, that I use for my sleepytime music when I'm alone, or other music when I'm... not.
    It’s about finding comfortable IEMs, and I’ve found the Westones to be so comfy that I rarely even am aware I’ve got them on. In a two bedroom condo where one is an office, we don’t have any options (and, to be honest, I’m happier with this solution). Its also good because I don’t necessarily listen to quiet or calm music when going to sleep; I often listen to things I’ll be reviewing (I’ve come to think that subconscious music really does figure into things). For me, it’s not about calming, it’s about stopping my brain from thinking, so I can listen to just about anything, other than really aggressive free jazz
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Computer: 2%
    Automobile: 83%
    Phone: 15%
    Home Stereo: ain't got one

Home-stereo 90% (80% vinyl 20% CD, 100% on speakers)
    Transport MP3 10% (90% headphones 10% earbuds)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Computer 60%
    Car 30%
    Kitchen radio 7%
    Cable access 3%

I listen to music thru our Apple TV ‘s
    an they are thru stereo systems.
    Being retired I don’t have to listen in the car much any more or on my AirPods like I did when I worked. [emoji3]
    Use Apple Music and airplay2 to play music through out the house all the time.

Home Stereo: 60%
    Computer: 30%
    Sleeping Room CD-set up: 9%
    Automobile: 1%
    MP3 Player/Phone: 0%
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Couldn’t quite find the right thread for this, but:

Do you listen to Prog in the house on speakers, during the day/evening when your family is around?

I can’t really do this. I either need to listen once the rest of the family is turning-in for the night and I’m not going to be disturbed or “called into action,” or in the car or on headphones. I can listen to Prog in the car with my family, but at home it would only be me and if it isn’t after things are winding down for the day, then I’m certain to be interrupted so I don’t even try. I’m so rarely the only person in the house that I don’t even mention that situation…

Basically, I don’t like to have to be hitting Pause and Play over and over. And with longer tracks, that can be hard to avoid.

70 percent cds
    30 percent on computer (youtube or online radio but mostly yt)
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

In the 4 years since the original post, my listening habits have changed greatly. I rarely drive, my stereo setup has been a headache and I do a lot more walking. Updated ways I’m listening now are:

80% Phone
    10% home stereo
    10% Computer