Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jon and Vangelis

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Agree about the instrumental part--some of Vangelis's best work anywhere. Anderson's lyrics are pretty dopey, and the "tune" obviously an off-the-cuff improv, but that part is brief.
    Agreed about the impression of the vocal section having been improvised (the Match of the Day line is particularly unexpected!) - but I like that they didn't try to turn it into something, for want of a better word, "tuneful" - that's sort of what I was meaning when I said it felt "abstract".

Lucky Man
    Agreed on the excellence of Short Stories.

Yeah, I know it's saccharine, but the track I Hear You Now is a personal favorite. Up there with anything, from anyone, ever.

lol

(You get that I love it.)
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Right, "I Hear You Now" is my favorite J & V track. The "Best of" album cuts off the 30-second intro to the song, so I had to have "Short Stories". Also have "Mr. Cairo". Had the third album "Private Collection" for a long time, but finally sold it. Heard the fourth, but didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    By the opening track of Short Stories, do you mean Curious Electric? If so - by contrast with your impression that it is lame, for me, it's the best thing the two produced together! The instrumental sections at the beginning & end are exhilarating, & I really like the abstract, almost all unaccompanied, vocal section in the middle.
    Yes, I'm not a fan of "Curious Electric." Although it's been years. Maybe I would appreciate it now that I have become immersed in Jazz.

But I adore "Each and Everyday/Bird Song" and "Love Is/One More Time." I would put those on a list of some of the best stuff Jon Anderson ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Yes, I'm not a fan of "Curious Electric." Although it's been years. Maybe I would appreciate it now that I have become immersed in Jazz.

But I adore "Each and Everyday/Bird Song" and "Love Is/One More Time." I would put those on a list of some of the best stuff Jon Anderson ever created.
    I knew a girl from high school who became a big fan of "One More Time" after she heard me play it. The lyrics spoke to her about her own estrangement from her father and the thing would bring her to tears almost every time. Few other Jon Anderson/Yes songs I know of have ever had that effect on someone!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Horizon from Private Collection is their masterpiece I think

Definitely! I watched the entire video recently. It's pretty cool; glad Jon posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    A radio-edit version of "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" (the song) actually got airplay on the alternative station in LA (KROQ) when it was released. I think that was the first non-Yes thing I'd ever heard JA record.
    There was a “music video” (more like a slideshow, really) for this, too. MTV’s Chyron credited them as “Jon Anderson and Vangelis,” which I don’t think I ever saw on any official release.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

This is a fantastic performance of State of Independence - from the same concert that also had an outstanding version of Awaken.

Excellent version. Is that Eyþór Ingi of Eldberg on background vocals?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The only one I have is Private Collection, which I actually from the library as a teenager. I think Horizon was the first LP side length track I ever heard. I actualy copied onto one of my favorite mixtapes which I listened to a lot at the time. I'm less excited about the other side of the album, but I still think Horizon is awesome, particularly the first section.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post

I discovered Private Collection a few years after it came out. I think it was mainly a European release with almost no US marketing or distribution. But I like that one a lot.
    Seems kinda strange to me that a library in Cleveland Heights Ohio (or was it University Heights? Or Cleveland, proper?) would have an album that had "almost no US distribution", but then there was apparently some serious geeks buying the music for that library. They had a whole truckload of Stockhausen albums, at least one Morton Subotnick record, and a few other records that were let's say "Not radio friendly", as well as a very well stocked jazz, blues and folk section.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Seems kinda strange to me that a library in Cleveland Heights Ohio (or was it University Heights? Or Cleveland, proper?) would have an album that had "almost no US distribution", but then there was apparently some serious geeks buying the music for that library. They had a whole truckload of Stockhausen albums, at least one Morton Subotnick record, and a few other records that were let's say "Not radio friendly", as well as a very well stocked jazz, blues and folk section.
    Do we know for a fact that it had limited US distribution? I had no problem finding it. Perhaps I was just lucky.

I think "Italian Song" has one of Jon's finest vocal performances ever. I always had a soft spot for "Deborah," which is simply a beautiful song.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Private Collection made #148 in the US. Not a stellar chart performance, but better than thousands and thousands of other albums. It must have had reasonable US distribution to achieve that.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Private Collection made #148 in the US. Not a stellar chart performance, but better than thousands and thousands of other albums. It must have had reasonable US distribution to achieve that.

Henry
    If I recall correctly, I bought my copy at a relatively pedestrian record shop. So, I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't limited in the US. Plus, it makes no sense.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If I recall correctly, I bought my copy at a relatively pedestrian record shop. So, I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't limited in the US. Plus, it makes no sense.
    Obviously Polydor had top-of-the-line distribution in the US. I don't remember for sure, but I think Private Collection may have had a delayed release here, so at first it was only available as an import. That may be what people are thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

This is a fantastic performance of State of Independence - from the same concert that also had an outstanding version of Awaken.
    Isn't this basically the Change We Must arrangement?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Do we know for a fact that it had limited US distribution? I had no problem finding it. Perhaps I was just lucky.

I think "Italian Song" has one of Jon's finest vocal performances ever. I always had a soft spot for "Deborah," which is simply a beautiful song.
    Likewise.. as I recall I bought it as soon as it was released..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Likewise.. as I recall I bought it as soon as it was released..
    I'm glad everyone else had such an easy time finding it! But it was in none of the record shops I frequented at the time, and as mentioned above it may have showed up as an import when I finally stumbled across it.