Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

So what did you all think? We grabbed the Friday morning matinee. I’ll post some thoughts when I have time, but I think it’s a fitting chapter in the story.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'll let you know when it comes out on Blu-Ray.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    So what did you all think? We grabbed the Friday morning matinee. I’ll post some thoughts when I have time, but I think it’s a fitting chapter in the story.
    Havent seen it.

Did we get ElPowell?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

We are seeing it this afternoon. I will post something later.

Saw it last night, liked it, going to see it again tomorrow.

It's a lot of movie to take in, so my opinions haven't fully formed. Like with TFA and TLJ, I'll have a better idea how I feel after seeing it again.

Overall, The Last Jedi may be my favorite Star Wars movie after Empire Strikes Back, so I don't know how The Rise of Skywalker will rank for me. I'm just glad to have this new trilogy.

Just about to watch it. The IMAX theatre ate also showing a six minute extended trailer for Christopher Nolans Tenet. That looks intriguing to say the least.

Well...I enjoyed the Tenet trailer a lot. Spoilers below if you would rather not know...

Actually, it does not give much away. It involves an action set piece with a terrorist attack on an auditorium packed with people watching a classical music performance.

John David Washington and his team seem to be covertly trying to appear to blend with the local armed forces, and need to extract a diplomat of some sort. They use gas to put the audience to sleep during this.

Curiously, they dont actually stop the explosion, and on the face of it everyone dies...but perhaps that's not the real outcome in the full movie.

Dialogue was difficult to make out, a lot of the time characters were wearing gas masks. And you never saw much of the 'time shifting' or whatever that process is supposed to be.

That said.. the sequence was very well done, punchy, well filmed and a pounding score that was reminiscent of Dunkirk...a bit of electronica with driving drum rhythms etc.

I do have a theory as to what the 'time shifting' actually is. In the trailer you see ships moving backwards in the sea...but you see John David Washington walking on the deck normally. I think the trick is they have found a way to move through time the opposite way to everything else, so that you cannot be seen. I think that ties in with the covert/espionage elements that we also see in the main trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Well...I enjoyed the Tenet trailer a lot. Spoilers below if you would rather not know...

Actually, it does not give much away. It involves an action set piece with a terrorist attack on an auditorium packed with people watching a classical music performance.

John David Washington and his team seem to be covertly trying to appear to blend with the local armed forces, and need to extract a diplomat of some sort. They use gas to put the audience to sleep during this.

Curiously, they dont actually stop the explosion, and on the face of it everyone dies...but perhaps that's not the real outcome in the full movie.

Dialogue was difficult to make out, a lot of the time characters were wearing gas masks. And you never saw much of the 'time shifting' or whatever that process is supposed to be.

That said.. the sequence was very well done, punchy, well filmed and a pounding score that was reminiscent of Dunkirk...a bit of electronica with driving drum rhythms etc.

I do have a theory as to what the 'time shifting' actually is. In the trailer you see ships moving backwards in the sea...but you see John David Washington walking on the deck normally. I think the trick is they have found a way to move through time the opposite way to everything else, so that you cannot be seen. I think that ties in with the covert/espionage elements that we also see in the main trailer.
    I have absolutely no knowledge of what Tenet is, but that was one hell of a trailer. We had no idea what we had just watched though.

I'm still trying to get through the first one
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Havent seen it.

Did we get ElPowell?

It was more an ELP reunion with a promise to “return to form”.

It will likely be awhile before I see it (I'll probably end up streaming it when it becomes available) but I read the movie works hard to refute The Last Jedi. That's disappointing. So, does that mean that:

spoiler for previous film if Luke still alive
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    It was more an ELP reunion with a promise to “return to form”.
    Seeing it today.

So... Its like a new piano concerto sandwiched btwn sequels to C'est La Vie and Tank?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

What I think:

Take The Force Awakens;

Take all the footage in TLJ with Mark Hamill, and dump the rest;

Relate the choppy first 30 minutes of TRoS via opening scroll;

—and you get the same story, without having to suffer through the really tedious bits. I also could have done without "Jar Jar Fest."

I essentially agree. It sorta proves what I was saying all along, that the sequel trilogy had a plan set in motion by Abrams, deviated by Johnson, and course corrected by Abrams. Ironically, it’s Abrams that is getting more shit this week for “ignoring” Johnson’s TLJ without acknowledging Rian’s role in that mess.

So yes, TLJ has arguably mostly become extraneous to the story. You could turn this into 2 films if you stitched the beginning of TLJ to the end of TFA, included the important parts of the Luke story, and had the movie climax with the battle of Snoke. You could have had Luke play the role of Leia (using his life force strength to “empower” Kylo to kill Snoke), so he passes away. Film ends with Rey refusing to join Kylo, leaving an obvious cliffhanger (of sorts) to pick up with TRoS.

I actually think the claims about Abrams ignoring (or "fixing") TLJ are overblown -- and I can provide examples from the new movie to support that viewpoint. And there was nothing to "fix", IMO.

I really liked this movie even after seeing it a second time. I also really like the new trilogy. Carrie Fisher's untimely death derailed their plans unfortunately, and had she still been alive we would have gotten a very different Episode 9. *shrug*

It's unfortunate that it couldn't play out the way it was originally envisioned, but it is what it is and I think Abrams was put in an unwinnable situation.

Hey, man, you got your Jar Jar Fiesta, aka Cantu Bight II.

I essentially agree. It sorta proves what I was saying all along, that the sequel trilogy had a plan set in motion by Abrams, deviated by Johnson, and course corrected by Abrams. Ironically, it’s Abrams that is getting more shit this week for “ignoring” Johnson’s TLJ without acknowledging Rian’s role in that mess.

So yes, TLJ has arguably mostly become extraneous to the story. You could turn this into 2 films if you stitched the beginning of TLJ to the end of TFA, included the important parts of the Luke story, and had the movie climax with the battle of Snoke. You could have had Luke play the role of Leia (using his life force strength to “empower” Kylo to kill Snoke), so he passes away. Film ends with Rey refusing to join Kylo, leaving an obvious cliffhanger (of sorts) to pick up with TRoS.
    It would be so easy to assemble a duology with an intersititial "short film" to connect the two. The main thread of TLJ was a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Hey, man, you got your Jar Jar Fiesta, aka Cantu Bight II.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I actually think the claims about Abrams ignoring (or "fixing") TLJ are overblown
    Indeed. But in our outrage culture, the press/blog/YT/social media sphere is going to find the “controversy” and run with it.

It's unfortunate that it couldn't play out the way it was originally envisioned, but it is what it is and I think Abrams was put in an unwinnable situation.
    True. From my perspective, this is where the real travesty is. I had expectations that the sequel trilogy would at least be coherent, understanding most fans might never be satisfied with the ending. Disney understands the gravity of this particular investment. Even when many scoffed at how Disney would mess things up, I defended them since we might not see any Star Wars if Lucas has held onto it.

All the Disney films are watchable, but only Rogue One remains satisfying for me personally. It shows what is possible when most of the SW characters are absent or otherwise relegated to cameos or backseat portrayals and “the Star Wars universe” is allowed to shine, even if the story was nestled into the original narrative. I haven’t yet watched the Mandalorian, but will soon. So I can’t comment.

The prequels were always mocked for the ridiculous dialog, childish humor, a mish mash of performances, and Lucas going unchecked (which resulted in most of the criticisms). Even then, they were imaginative and full of ideas. In my mind, there are many directors and writers that could have improved the prequels dramatic if Lucas got out of his own way.

Disney had the opportunity to learn from that in the sequel trilogy, but played it so safe that it’s difficult (for me anyway) to have any real attachment to these films.

Here is hoping now that this “saga” is finally at a close and the pressure is lifted, we can begin to see projects where the universe, idea, and spirit can shine. Expectations can be lowered and better stories can be written. In the future, we may end up finding these projects on Disney+ more than in the cinema.

All the Disney films are watchable, but only Rogue One remains satisfying for me personally.
    Same. Easily the best film since 1980. I liked Solo, too. The first act's patchy, but then things roll.

Disney had the opportunity to learn from that in the sequel trilogy, but played it so safe that it’s difficult (for me anyway) to have any real attachment to these films.
    Yeah. They went overboard on fan service, and that means the directors, too. That said, there *are* some really cool callbacks in TRoS, like the medal.

Not sure if anyone agrees, but I think TFA has the best cinematography of the three.

I found there were many "WTF?" moments in the new movie. Like, "Are they serious?" and "Did anybody actually review this script?" Things happens that, well, really shouldn't have happened.

The special effects were good though. And I got to hear a Wookie grieve.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I found there were many "WTF?" moments in the new movie. Like, "Are they serious?" and "Did anybody actually review this script?" Things happens that, well, really shouldn't have happened.
    There are quite a few, indeed.

Same. Easily the best film since 1980.
    That's how I felt about Rogue One, until I watched it a second time. It just doesn't hold up for me. The third act is pure fan service, but that's actually my favorite part of the movie and it makes up for the rest of the film. I still like it better than Solo, but I prefer Episodes 7-9 actually.

I'm still wondering what you meant about the "Jar Jar Fiesta", or what in Ep 9 is similar to the Canto Bight stuff. I didn't care much for the Canto Bight sequences in TLJ, but TRoS didn't have anything like that IMO.

It's what I'm calling that Aki-Aki festival ("occurs only once every 42 years") on the desert planet Pasaana. That species reminded me of Jar Jar's.

It's what I'm calling that Aki-Aki festival ("occurs only once every 42 years") on the desert planet Pasaana. That species reminded me of Jar Jar's.
    The cultural appropriation of Bedouin clothing and dance was pretty blatant. But if you remember, the Gungans came from a water planet, Naboo.