Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah that was in "Solo".

In the Star Wars universe, the Falcon was just one of many ships of that style -- but the movies never showed them of course. Or wait... I think you can spot one of them in one of the prequels, on Coruscant somewhere.
    As I said, I get the dictionary/encyclopedia/art/making-of books for each movie when available. I treat these films like Deluxe Edition Albums. Before watching a film, I will sometimes delve into one or more of the books to prep for the film. I find it fascinating perusing the backstory on characters, species, ships, locations, previous battles, etc.

Here is a sample for Rogue One:

Unfortunately, the books have not been produced as a series. Some are sized different and there is not continuity in the titles. For example:

Rogue One - The Ultimate Visual Dictionary
    Rise Of Skywalker - The Visual Dictionary
    Solo - The Official Guide

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    The Falcon and the X-Wing Fighters and the big Carillion Crusiers(?) all have jet engine ports on the rear for propulsion. How does a Tie Fighter move forward or maneuver? They're shown flying both in the vacuum of space and in the atmosphere of various planets.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.

Flashback time

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    One thing I gotta say: the Storm Troopers are lousy shots and they seem happy to stand for target practice.
    There's at least 2 hilarious references to this fact in the Mandalorian. Fun stuff!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    There was either e video, a meme or something similar some years back talking about all of the innocent technicians, IT people, guards etc that lost their lives on the death star when it exploded.
    It's a scene in "Clerks."

Chad

Hilarious. "A roofer listens to this, not his wallet."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hilarious. "A roofer listens to this, not his wallet."

That was a pretty great scene.

The Falcon and the X-Wing Fighters and the big Carillion Crusiers(?) all have jet engine ports on the rear for propulsion. How does a Tie Fighter move forward or maneuver? They're shown flying both in the vacuum of space and in the atmosphere of various planets.
    Anyone who cares should never watch these movies. Or any movies.

I guess no one saw The Mandalorian.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I am starting episode 6. I am all for discussion once I have it completed later this week.

This is the way.

I don't have Disney+. I've seen the first three episodes. It's a'ight.

I do have Disney+, and I've watched the whole first season. Overall I really enjoyed it -- especially eps 3, 7, and 8. Giancarlo Esposito's character was way cool.

Deborah Chow being the one to helm the Obi Wan series also makes me very excited.

It's interesting to finally see an on-screen representation of life in the aftermath of RotJ. The Empire is defeated and the Sith are gone (for now), but it didn't make everyone's problems magically go away and the former Imperial officers/soldiers are still kicking around. Shining a light into the "lesser" corners of the Star Wars universe is something I've been wanting for a long time.

Edit: Oh shoot, how could I forget about Carl Weathers?! He's great in this show. As is Werner Herzog, who gets one of the funniest lines late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Anyone who cares should never watch these movies. Or any movies.
    Oh, that seems a bit harsh. There are lots of movie directors that care about basic stuff like this.

Oh, that seems a bit harsh. There are lots of movie directors that care about basic stuff like this.
    That's true. It's just that in Star Wars it's basically a fantasy story set in outer space, and intentionally very light on the science.

Case in point, my grandfather was a fan of science fiction (authors like Isaac Asimov, Frederik Pohl, and Arthur C. Clarke), and loved Star Trek (especially The Next Generation). However, he never liked Star Wars. He described it as "science fantasy", which I think is probably more accurate than science fiction.

That's not what Lucas is shooting for or even cares about. Harrison Ford apparently figured out that immediately. Hamill explains below in a perfect Ford imitation.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Sorry. Yes, absolutely. I very much enjoyed it and cannot wait until next season.
    Chad

The eons are closing
    Have yet to watch Mandalorian, but on the list.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Sorry. Yes, absolutely. I very much enjoyed it and cannot wait until next season.
    +1
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's true. It's just that in Star Wars it's basically a fantasy story set in outer space, and intentionally very light on the science.

Case in point, my grandfather was a fan of science fiction (authors like Isaac Asimov, Frederik Pohl, and Arthur C. Clarke), and loved Star Trek (especially The Next Generation). However, he never liked Star Wars. He described it as "science fantasy", which I think is probably more accurate than science fiction.
    Accurate. It's not science fiction. Science fantasy is a broader label that applies to sagas like Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber (which is awesome, I can't believe there aren't a series of films based on it), McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (rights have been purchased; no further news), and even Dune (new film coming from Denis Villeneuve).

I go one step further and call Star Wars space opera because its structure is essentially that of a 1940s serial.

Oh, that seems a bit harsh.
    Not really. Honest is all it is.
    I just don't get the draw of shitting all over things I don't care about. Allowing someone to create their art isn't harmful. Wanting to dictate how they should do it is.

Mark Hamill shared a fine cartoon the other day.

"I wish I'd spent more time arguing about 'Star Wars' online."

There are lots of movie directors that care about basic stuff like this.
    So that means all of them should?
    I know that's now what you're saying. But it's still implied.
    Good for those directors. Lucas ain't one of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Accurate. It's not science fiction. Science fantasy is a broader label that applies to sagas like Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber (which is awesome, I can't believe there aren't a series of films based on it), McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (rights have been purchased; no further news), and even Dune (new film coming from Denis Villeneuve).

I go one step further and call Star Wars space opera because its structure is essentially that of a 1940s serial.
    I believe Lucas has said before that those serials were one of the things that inspired him when creating SW. It's a soap opera, absolutely. The hero had a crush on his sister and never got over his daddy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    There's at least 2 hilarious references to this fact in the Mandalorian. Fun stuff!
    I was dying during Jason Sudeikis' scene. Those guys were hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Yep, we also enjoyed it. It had a great tone, and a great balance between "Star Wars stuff" and just regular bounty hunter type of stuff. As in, someone who isn't necessarily a Star Wars fan could still enjoy it, just for the story.

I hope they develop it more in a second season.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I just don't get the draw of shitting all over things I don't care about. Allowing someone to create their art isn't harmful. Wanting to dictate how they should do it is.
    So I take it you're PERFECTLY FINE with this? Or these?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    So I take it you're PERFECTLY FINE with this? Or these?
    I thought the site rules on religion were very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I thought the site rules on religion were very clear.
    What’s that got to do with rcarlberg’s post?

I took my daughter to see it again tonight... It was better the second time. The details are clearer. I enjoyed it, and will probably enjoy future viewings on Blu-Ray when it is available. I find the nostalgia not as interesting as the potential future character development. We are all getting old, and these guys are not holding up well. I like the Re character, the main trio seem to be pretty solid and I do seem to care about them. I wonder if Disney is going to elevate the "Merry character from LOTR" in future movies. He's probably an expensive extra if they are not going to develop his character in the future. Maybe he's just taking what he can get these days, and he isnt pegged for future character development.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal