Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What’s that got to do with rcarlberg’s post?
    He isn't asking

Okay, I'll ask. I AM curious about your post. Was it a basic misunderstanding, or meant to be some kind of joke? Did your comment go right over my head, like it had something to do with the Jedi religion? I honestly am baffled. Please explain it, thx

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    DC390BB8-103D-4344-B2AD-25E3B04ACA54.jpgcouldnt resist picking up this tee.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I finally bit the bullet and watched TRoS on Disney+. To me, it had all of the problems of the series compounded with a metric ton of fanservice. I used to enjoy these films but this one seemed to be really trying to just hit certain markers and not take any risks. And way, way too much space wizard stuff that had no consistency or made any sense. I much prefer The Mandolorian.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm just gonna act like I didn't see this, Jerjo. We're cool. We're cool. I'm just gonna look the other way.

I'm just gonna look... the other way.

The Manadalorian, Rouge One, and even The Clone Wars (on some level) show what Star Wars *can* be.

I think 5-10 years down the road, I will pretty much view the sequel trilogy as an obligatory waste of time. I’d even argue that the prequel trilogy, in all its warts, was superior in the sense that it offers a better glimpse at the SW universe and its possibilities.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think 5-10 years down the road, I will pretty much view the sequel trilogy as an obligatory waste of time. I’d even argue that the prequel trilogy, in all its warts, was superior in the sense that it offers a better glimpse at the SW universe and its possibilities.

Eesh... I tried watching the prequels before Ep 9 came out, but the only one I could finish was Ep 3. Just not my thing I guess. I'd take the sequels any day over the prequels...

IMO, The Last Jedi offered a good look at what Star Wars can be. I think that's one reason why it was so divisive.

The only parts of The Last Jedi I can stand are the ones with Mark Hamill onscreen. His brush-off during the showdown was hilarious.

Leia Poppins should not have been a thing.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The Manadalorian, Rouge One, and even The Clone Wars (on some level) show what Star Wars *can* be.

I agree with all this. But then I don't have the visceral reaction most people seem to have with the prequels (all of which, unlike the sequels, have good bones, just some questionable writing/dialog and other things).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Eesh... I tried watching the prequels before Ep 9 came out, but the only one I could finish was Ep 3. Just not my thing I guess. I'd take the sequels any day over the prequels...

IMO, The Last Jedi offered a good look at what Star Wars can be. I think that's one reason why it was so divisive.
    With ya there, overall!

The prequels are bland, to me. They have their moments, but are bloated and the fan edits work best with those. The last trilogy is just above that. The reason I favor those are the inclusion of the familiar characters. However, I definitely do not revisit them near as much as the original trilogy. I've said this before in this thread: prior to viewing, it helps to jump into one of the official making-of books, or some other official guide to characters. That has helped me with backstory from characters, ships, systems... all way down to the food consumed in the films.

Empire Strikes Back for the win!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    In some key ways I'm over Star Wars as a whole, though it had a powerful grip on my imagination as a child. The most recent films have had considerable flaws, with perhaps the exception of Rogue One, that I am surprised came through in the respective final edits.

I think a spin-off movie of those two old warriors from Rogue One is a film I would like to see.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I disagree. It not only offered very little, but it disrupted the cohesiveness in the middle of a story. There is very little introduced that's new or groundbreaking and the primary and secondary plots were boring and unbelievable.

Were there "cool moments"? Sure. But that's about as good as it gets. I have seen both TFA and TLJ about 5 times too, so I'm not coming from a place of memory. I watched RoS in the theater and once last month on Disney+. It was worse the 2nd time. Cool moments? Sure, but so much to not like in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I agree with all this. But then I don't have the visceral reaction most people seem to have with the prequels (all of which, unlike the sequels, have good bones, just some questionable writing/dialog and other things).
    Absolutely. Some of the dialogue is just awful, and the acting even worse. And I think Lucas did an unconvincing job of "turning" Anakin (which was sort of the whole point).

But the future of Star Wars owes a great debt to the "bones" (as you say) of the SW universe developed from the prequels. Lucas finally got to realize his vision of what that looks and feels like, not to mention breathing life into the Jedi.

The sequels, on the other hand, did very little beyond replicating the original trilogy. I'm very happy they are done and out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    In some key ways I'm over Star Wars as a whole, though it had a powerful grip on my imagination as a child. The most recent films have had considerable flaws, with perhaps the exception of Rogue One, that I am surprised came through in the respective final edits.

I think a spin-off movie of those two old warriors from Rogue One is a film I would like to see.
    FYI there is a prequel TV series to Rogue One in the works on Disney+ now as is a series on Obi-Wan Kenobi. The Mandalorian is quite fun as well.

This is where I'd like to see the future of the franchise.

I disagree. It not only offered very little, but it disrupted the cohesiveness in the middle of a story. There is very little introduced that's new or groundbreaking and the primary and secondary plots were boring and unbelievable.
    Gotta disagree with you on this one. Any "disrupted" cohesiveness is not really the fault of The Last Jedi (or Rian Johnson), but rather JJ Abrams coming in to finish the story rather than Colin Trevorrow and his script (and I'm glad Trevorrow walked away; talk about a gross misunderstanding of Star Wars...).

And I'll give some reasons why The Last Jedi is one of my favorites, even though you didn't ask. Rian chose to base the whole movie around a retreat, which covered a relatively short period of time compared to other SW movies. He took the original "big bad" (Snoke) off the table early. He also touched on the idea of gray moral areas -- such as Finn learning that arms dealers are profiting off of both the bad guys and the good guys, because war makes money. No previous SW movies ever brought that up (though some of the books might have).

Some other points that come to mind that I really liked about TLJ: DJ (Benecio del Toro) betrays the Resistance and yet he suffers no comeuppance; after trying to run away from the fight for so long, Finn drastically overcorrects to the point of trying to needlessly sacrifice his own life; Luke saves the Resistance by not resorting to violence yet still displaying how strong (and smart) he is. There are other things I could list, but this is already a long post.

I just don't agree that it introduced nothing new to the Star Wars films, or that it offered very little. Just my opinion though.

Sorry for rambling so long. I love The Last Jedi and have watched it quite a few times, in case it wasn't obvious.

Rian chose to base the whole movie around a retreat, which covered a relatively short period of time compared to other SW movies.
    A yawner that didn't need to suck up that much time; along with that, the mission to Canto Bight tonally echoed the Prequel Trilogy. Bleah.

Also, not giving a legacy character like Ackbar the big moment? Dern's character "Holdo" (lol) just took up space. Her sacrifice felt unearned.

He took the original "big bad" (Snoke) off the table early.
    If Snoke was an extension of Palpatine, or not, he was supposed to be a powerful antagonist. That he did not see Kylo's move coming a mile away was an unforgivable plot contrivance. And the battle with the guards with the funny red suits and their badly choreographed fight moves was most unimpressive. Sorry.

I really do hope the Skywalker Saga is fridged. Enough of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    A yawner that didn't need to suck up that much time; along with that, the mission to Canto Bight tonally echoed the Prequel Trilogy. Bleah.

Also, not giving a legacy character like Ackbar the big moment? Dern's character "Holdo" (lol) just took up space. Her sacrifice felt unearned.

If Snoke was an extension of Palpatine, or not, he was supposed to be a powerful antagonist. That he did not see Kylo's move coming a mile away was an unforgivable plot contrivance. And the battle with the guards with the funny red suits and their badly choreographed fight moves was most unimpressive. Sorry.

I really do hope the Skywalker Saga is fridged. Enough of that.
    I still don't agree with any of this, but we've already talked about it ad nauseam back when it came out so there's not much point in arguing. You already know why I love this movie.

I still don't agree with any of this, but we've already talked about it ad nauseam back when it came out so there's not much point in arguing. You already know why I love this movie.
    I don't think you and I talked about it that much, but again, I can stand only those parts with Hamill. TLJ is a big wash. Even Solo is a lot better.

I quite enjoyed the performances by Ridley and Driver. But damn, I think the old crew got shafted. It would have been great to see more of Carrie, Mark, and Harrison bouncing off each other. Carrie certainly deserved better.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The entire last trilogy was a huge wasted opportunity. I just don't get why they felt the need to recycle so much from the original trilogy. Are there just not that many talented screenwriters out there? Clearly that wasn't it. I see a lot of hate laid at Kathleen Marshall's doorstep. Some of it probably deserved, but more than anything the SW movies have become a victim to tentpole-itis that is worse for Hollywood than Covid-19. IMO.

Utter. Crap.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

So, are there going to be any more films? I cant imagine Disney spent the incredible piles of cash for that pittance of tired storylines. I enjoyed all the sw movies - its just s nice escape. I'll see whatever they decide to revisit and expand on. I do need to get to Disneyland to check out the SW land. I imagine that will be a real joy to experience. But are they going to let it all just die? - if so, Disneyland Star Wars land will be dead in a decade. I havent heard any of the future plans for the franchise.

^^^ Right now the focus is on the small screen. There is The Mandalorian going into its second season, and they are developing a Live action show that is a prequel to Rogue One, and lastly a live action Obi-Wan Kenobi show that takes place between eps 3 and 4. They also announced a new animated show.

There is supposedly a new movie trilogy in early development as well.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I see, use Star Wars to help establish Disney Plus among the established streaming services. Makes sense.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'll resurrect this thread with this notion:

Jon Favreau's vision for the Star Wars universe is far more appealing than any of the movies other than the original trilogy. Even the weaker episodes of The Book of Boba Fett stand up better. Season two of The Mandalorian rises above everything but the first three films. I have spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'll resurrect this thread

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021