Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's what I'm calling that Aki-Aki festival ("occurs only once every 42 years") on the desert planet Pasaana. That species reminded me of Jar Jar's.
    Okay, so you equate that with Jar Jar and all the stuff on Canto Bight. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The cultural appropriation of Bedouin clothing and dance was pretty blatant. But if you remember, the Gungans came from a water planet, Naboo.
    I meant their visual appearance. They looked like you gave Jar Jar to one of the digital artists and went "Use this as a starter and make something new we can use."

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Okay, so you equate that with Jar Jar and all the stuff on Canto Bight. Got it.
    Right. An entire sequence that should have been scrapped in lieu of something better. Once they get past that, and we see the Knights of Ren land, that's okay. Just a weird place to reintroduce Lando.

Btw, I understand there are no fewer than NINE different cuts of TRoS. That's downright nuts when you think about it. They said two different Rogue One movies exist, cut-wise. So TRoS has nine different cuts? Holy cow. Who knows what the other jigsaw puzzles look like. I bet at least one has Rey being a legit Skywalker and not a Palpatine.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I meant their visual appearance.
    Didnt the Canto Bright natives have facial tentacles like shrimp? Gungans were horse-faced with eyestalks and long floppy ears. I read somewhere they were modeled after Goofy in the Disney world.

Didnt the Canto Bright natives have facial tentacles like shrimp? Gungans were horse-faced with eyestalks and long floppy ears. I read somewhere they were modeled after Goofy in the Disney world.
    So they were "goofy snail bassets."

Didnt the Canto Bright natives have facial tentacles like shrimp?
    Like the pirate in "Pirates of the Caribbean" whose face was partly octopus.

I also noticed the black characters did a lot of Wakanda moves. Cultural appropriation is all through the SW universe.

Thanks to Rise of Skywalker, I now know what a corporate-funded fanfic would look like. My 2nd least favorite SW film, ahead of Phantom Menace.

Excellent actors doing their best with awful material. And it looked pretty. But it was bad enough, I almost just walked out about midway through.

Oh well...just movies. At Chez Batts, I'm happy to be content with an 8-episode saga. Until Disney decides to add another "final" trilogy to the saga when they discover a new $tory to $hare with all the fan$.

Peace out, have fun with it!
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

It’s interesting how different the reactions to this movie have been. Some people I’ve seen it with didn’t like it, some really liked it. Some are conflicted.

Discussing it online is not much fun anymore. There’s a lot about this movie I loved, in spite of some flaws (which it definitely had). Balanced discourse is hard to find nowadays.

I also noticed the black characters did a lot of Wakanda moves. Cultural appropriation is all through the SW universe.
    Can fictional cultures be appropriated by other fictional cultures?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It’s interesting how different the reactions to this movie have been. Some people I’ve seen it with didn’t like it, some really liked it. Some are conflicted.

Discussing it online is not much fun anymore. There’s a lot about this movie I loved, in spite of some flaws (which it definitely had). Balanced discourse is hard to find nowadays.
    It's easier to have more balanced discourse offline. I've had some really excellent conversations on the film with friends who loved it. We were never going to agree or change minds, but we could offer contrary opinions and not have it go off the rails like it can (and often does) online.

But I won't sour the conversation about the movie for you folks here. Glad you enjoyed it, really
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's easier to have more balanced discourse offline. I've had some really excellent conversations on the film with friends who loved it. We were never going to agree or change minds, but we could offer contrary opinions and not have it go off the rails like it can (and often does) online.

But I won't sour the conversation about the movie for you folks here. Glad you enjoyed it, really
    Sincerely, I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I was hoping you would, especially since we both enjoyed TLJ.

Totally agreed that balanced discussion is much easier offline. I spent the last hour or so in the car talking about it with my brother, and it’s an enjoyable thing getting to exchange different viewpoints in a respectful way. All of the clickbaity YouTube videos and manufactured outrage on Twitter is just exhausting and makes me want to completely unplug.

So even though I may not agree with your take on the film, I consider you one of my friends here and I respect your opinion. It would be fun to have a couple beers and talk face to face about it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Thanks to Rise of Skywalker, I now know what a corporate-funded fanfic would look like.
    Thanks to The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker, I, too, know what a corporate-funded fanfic looks like!

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I had no problems with TRoS. Enjoyed it very much!
    Chad

I enjoyed the film. Yeah, it isn't the exact story I would have chosen, but I am content with it. As a fan since '77, I am good with the way it all ended. I was a kid dreaming of the story continuing/ending and I got my wish. I don't feel the need to dissect the scenes and break apart what I didn't fancy. Nah, I rather revisit the elements that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I loved it

I have seen it twice

First in 3D/4DX and second in normal 2D.

I liked it about as much as the last two. Which I enjoyed. Though I kept thinking, "I fell for it again!", as I watched the umpteeth light saber battle.

The whole Star Wars franchise, let us not forget, is terminally silly at its core -- sword fights with light tubes, soldiers in plastic armor, ships that fly without propulsion, gravity in space, noises in space, magical forces and powers. It was never meant to be taken seriously. They're all popcorn movies.

Saw it with friends in my home town where I saw the first one when it came out in 1977 (?) not the same theater so and none of us remembered the name of the place anymore.
    I had actually forgotten the story and it took me some time to remember who was who doing what for what reasons. ..
    Definitely enjoyed the film without popcorn but with a cup of coffee.
    The last scene kind of gives a hint that at some point they going to dig out the lightswords again....
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they donít understand!"

it doesn't take much to satisfy a Star Wars fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    A whole aisle at Toys 'R Us.

A whole aisle at Toys 'R Us.
    What about the books? If you're gonna be snarky and crap around this thread, might as well include books, too. I love collecting many of the Star Wars books that are directly related to the individual movies.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What about the books? If you're gonna be snarky and crap around this thread, might as well include books, too. I love collecting many of the Star Wars books that are directly related to the individual movies.
    Still have my lego millennium falcon assembled on my shelf, but was never a book SW collector
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

I once owned an original poster of the movie from 1977. Of course it's long gone now. Might've been worth today as much as a vintage Fender guitar......

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    If you're gonna be snarky and crap around this thread.
    I was not being snarky, nor was I thread-crapping. I was merely pointing out that Star Wars, like Toy Story, is as much about marketing the associated toys as it is filmmaking. Every new character has to pass a “could we manufacture and sell this” marketing gauntlet before being included in the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Internet proves otherwise, I think.