Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening habits - Finding the time

Listening habits - Finding the time

Judging by many threads here it would seem that some of you PEers must constantly be listening to music. Mr. Scissors (among a handful of others) seems to have an insightful comment about every artist who ever influenced someone else who may be related to the periphery of progressive music. Posters routinely list year-by-year top 50s (or more) whereas I have heard maybe 5 new albums all year -- and still don't really 'know' them. Some posters respond regarding several newly released albums within a week saying, 'I've spun it 4 or 5 times and...'. Others buy those 30 CD retrospective packages and can soon comment on the relative virtues of disc 8 vs. disc 14.

The first question is...
    How much of your average day is consumed with listening to the music? Where and under what circumstances?

I get about 2 hours (so 2 CDs) worth before sleep and about 1 a day while driving. How do most of you get sooooo much listening time in?

2nd question - How much time do you spend per day reading or responding on PE? I do a 10-20 minute run through most days but some contributors appear to have set up full squatting rights here (and no, that's not a complaint. I enjoy most of the input).
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 12-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Banned
    I’m retired.

I listen to music, either CDs or Pandora, pretty much all day everyday, while I read or play on my computer or do projects. In the evenings I’ll watch the news or a movie but I hate ads and I hate most broadcast TV so I usually head back into my music room before bed.

I don’t buy a lot of new music. I mostly listen to old favorites or sample suggestions made here or just poke around looking for something to turn my crank.

I average maybe 6-8 hours per day.

At that rate I could get through my collection in approximately 112 years.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I work in an office with a 35 minute commute to and from work so I listen to music on the commute and about 50% of my work day is solitary activity on a PC so I listen to music there. I often listen to an hour or two of music a night while reading or surfing the web, doing crosswords & the like.

I'm probably on PE around an hour or two a day on and off, between meetings, at lunch, while having a coffee or at night.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I work 2nd shift and my wife works 1st shift, so I have a lot of alone time during the day. I typically have the stereo on unless I am watching TV. I always listen to music in my car unless I am listening to sports. I listen to music when I work out. At work I typically have my I-pod on random play in my office. When I get home late at night I usually listen to an album on headphones while I play around on the computer before I go to bed. I still typically buy several new CD's a month.

Yeah, there's a key word: distractions. I find that the only time I really enjoy listening to music is late at night, when it's quiet and I can sit in between the speakers and concentrate on the music. Sure, I'll listen in the car or at work or during the day when I'm around friends or family, but I can't give the music even 75% of my attention, or make it through a song without hearing extraneous noise. With that limited amount of time and my age (66), I've decided that a lot of albums in my collection can be sold.

I live alone and do not have cable coming into my home. I'm also retired. I listen to news on the radio but then the rest of the day it's music.

All of my listening to new music occurs on the home stereo. I want it heard in the best possible fidelity without background noises.

Tried & True Playlists (on the iPhone) when driving or working out & gardening. I do Not want to hear surprises while operating a motor vehicle. I have a pair of good Grado Earbuds that are very sensitive. I hear drumsticks dropping, Klaxon horns in the background (think sound stage horns) and breathing of the performers. I suspect Ricardo Muti has a deviated septum! It's fun to hear these noises that barely show up on the home unit. The earbuds also act as noise suppression while operating internal combustion lawn machinery. I also prefer my playlists when working out.....the tunes I select have a tempo that is compatible with what I'm doing. You Don't want to have mellow / droney stuff while long distance driving!

Time on PE varies with my interest in the current threads. Right now....not much to my interest. I check first thing in the morning, then a quick look in the evening after dinner.

With all the production delays this Fall....I'm pretty backed up right now with new music....just those GG & PF Boxes look daunting.....and I also haven't got to the last KC Box!

Unlike a few on PE, I DO enjoy Holiday Music and have it on almost exclusively this time of year. One playlist is 9 Hours!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I have 1 1/2 hour traintime during week days which is dedicated music listening time. The rest of time I hardly have any time to listen to music. The good stuff that is. I hear plenty of bad stuff.

I simply do not have enough time to listen to everything I want to listen to.

Good questions.
    I guess my appetite for music isnít what it used to be. I donít spend much time on it. Up until a few years ago, I listened to cdís in my car, now not at all. If I find something I enjoy, Iíll let it soak, devotlng attention to that one thing for a while.
    I check on PE several times a day.

Count me in as one who mostly listens to music when I'm driving to and from the job site.. (contractor), unless I'm doing yard work that involves loud equipment i.e. lawnmower etc. then I have earbuds on with music to drown out the noise.. haha Around the house my wife and I generally have something playing in the background when cooking dinner and the like..

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I’m retired.

I listen to music, either CDs or Pandora, pretty much all day everyday, while I read or play on my computer or do projects. In the evenings I’ll watch the news or a movie but I hate ads and I hate most broadcast TV so I usually head back into my music room before bed.

I don’t buy a lot of new music. I mostly listen to old favorites or sample suggestions made here or just poke around looking for something to turn my crank.

I average maybe 6-8 hours per day.

At that rate I could get through my collection in approximately 112 years.
    I'm not even retired and i listen to music pretty much all day, very often, whether i'm working or not
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I probably listen to serious music of my choice maybe 1 hour pr. day (average). Sometimes just in front of the PC, but often late evening on the stereo.
    I dont drive car that much, and I dont like wearing headphones when travelling in bus/train, bicycling, or being out in nature.

Involuntary I listen to a lot of tiresome crap all day long, radios, job, etc. We live in a noisy world.

I agree regarding distractions but I will add that music is not my only interest. My main "hobby" is current events/politics. I must read more than a dozen lengthy articles during the day - usually during my commute. I'm not one of those people who can't read and listen to music because I need to concentrate on one or the other. Most other times, I'm with my wife and bless her heart, she has ADD and no matter what I'm up to, will start talking to me. So I stop to listen. Weekend mornings, when she's off doing volunteer work, is when I can listen to three or four hours of music (which is quite a bit) and concentrate on it.
    Last edited by Splicer; 12-22-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I listen everywhere and anywhere I can. Depending on the circumstance I switch between foreground and background musical selections. The environments in question are rarely optimal so most of the time, 320 mp3s are perfectly adequate. It's so fun sometimes, being able to create my own little soundtrack for whatever activity I'm doing...you know, picking that perfect selection that will enhance the moment in some subtle way.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    My main "hobby" is current events/politics.
    Then these are interesting times for you.

Saw this thread AFTER I just made a somewhat similar thread over on the Off Topic Forum, titled "Where do you listen to your Music", for anyone who wants to chime in on it as well. Anyway...

I do most of my listening daily in my car to & from work and have a lot burned on my iPhone and am able to listen at work as well, but as for the total time, I'd say about 2 hours a day...!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Then these are interesting times for you.
    Sadly true.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

I tend to avoid listening to music at work, and if I do, it's via earbuds. But it doesn't mean I don't post on different forums, though. >> insignificant amount of listening time .
    At home via the computer and web, I'd say 10/20% and my labtech speakers and when I'm gone on a trip (such as present at my mother's place), I will even spin the odd CD in my laptop but usually through my Sennheiser headphones

in the car, I'm systematically listening to music, since my Belgian talk radio disappeared from the Dutch airwaves (thanks to DAB+ switching, and suppression of AM radio); and listening time amount to +/- account for 30 or 40% of my music binge, but it's mostly the new stuff I bought

The rest is on either of my hi-fi chain, but the one in Holland gets more use (during the week), cos my w-e time in Brussels is too precious to spend time stck in front of my speakers.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Weekdays commute (total 1 hour) and an hour before bed. Weekends I will put on between 3-4 hours worth o' tunes.

I don't usually have any time but four of us got together at a friend's last night and Dennis Chambers stopped by and we sat around eating pizza and listening to vinyl talking music. Dennis likes when we play stuff he hasn't heard and he enlightens us with stories over his musical career. He just replaced the tubes in his stereo so we were testing them out.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My 3 colones:

For me it's a daily and essential habit to listen and enjoy music; it is and has been an integral part of my last 45 years of life and ... counting!.

I don't always have the time I want and need and many days can pass without listening to a single record for example but I always have "the bug" alive and kicking to explore new bands/music and/or listen again to my personal collection.

Any time or space is a good one for it!.

Best,
    TomŠs.

np:
    Franco Falsini - Cold Nose.
    (via my stereo using headphones and as an example Friends.)
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I don't usually have any time but four of us got together at a friend's last night and Dennis Chambers stopped by and we sat around eating pizza and listening to vinyl talking music. Dennis likes when we play stuff he hasn't heard and he enlightens us with stories over his musical career. He just replaced the tubes in his stereo so we were testing them out.
    Dennis Chambers stops by your friend’s place for pizza and music chat?

Sheesh. I live in Japan. I wish Hiromi would pop by for udon...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Dennis Chambers stops by your friend’s place for pizza and music chat?

Sheesh. I live in Japan. I wish Hiromi would pop by for udon...
    Maybe if you offer to do her hair.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Well I'm super busy and this is the first day I've been on PE in ages! You know life gets in the way of... life. But I probably listen maybe an hour a day max on the average, to and from work often, but occasionally at home when I can. I try to keep up with a lot of great music and as such make purchases I seldom listen to. And looking today at best of lists, I see there are a few newer artists I've never even heard of. And many I've listened to once but didn't connect, so I stick to the artists that I really enjoy, due to time constraints. I look forward to retirement...

I'll listen to music on the way to and from work (which can vary from 30 minutes, to 2 hours depending on where I'm working) and then usually for the entire work day if I'm working by myself. I do flooring so it's pretty easy to put in wireless earbuds and just listen to music all day while I work. Then I'll usually hang in front of my computer for a few hours at night listening to music and looking at forums so I'll probably get anywhere from 8-12 hours of music listening per day.

It's not finding the time.... it's making the time as a mental and emotional health habit