Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Listening habits - Finding the time

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    I get about 2 hours (so 2 CDs) worth before sleep and about 1 a day while driving. How do most of you get sooooo much listening time in?
    3 albums a day is a good pace. At that rate you can listen to TONS of music in the span of a decade or two. I've been an avid music listener for 45 years or so. By the '3 album a day' standard, that's about 50,000 albums!... I wish I had... the reality is that I may have heard 10,000-15,000 tops
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I usually get up around noon, so I love listening in my music room late at night for a couple hours while the world is still. I can't really enjoy daytime listening. Like to be outside in the afternoon.

I listen to maybe five albums per day. Few more on the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I'm at point now where I do most of my music listening on weekends while at a pub ( listening with earphones on Youtube). Occasionally I'll pop a CD in the car. Sometimes I'll do some Youtubin' at home on my cheap, crap shelf system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    on week nights in North Holland, there is music from 7PM to midnight on my hi-fi, but often an album will get 2 or 3 spins and roughly an album full on my return commute time (20 mins one way) in the car

On my Brussels w-e, I listen to a lot less music because of my social and amorous lives.
    Between the two spots, I have roughly 2.5 to 3 hours of dedicated music during the drive on early friday evenings and later sunday evenings
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    It's not finding the time.... it's making the time as a mental and emotional health habit
    That makes a lot of sense, I often feel that music is a safe space to get away from all the noise.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I agree regarding distractions but I will add that music is not my only interest. My main "hobby" is current events/politics. I must read more than a dozen lengthy articles during the day - usually during my commute...
    Ditto! It is distracting and distressing!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    ...I'm with my wife and bless her heart, she has ADD and no matter what I'm up to, will start talking to me. So I stop to listen...
    Wait... you actually listen to your wife?

But seriously, it's totally hit and miss with me these days, no habit, no pattern. I'm lucky if I find time to get through two or three albums a week these days with work and family and distractions and in part, because my priority of the moment is working on my own musicianship and learning to use a DAW and all the related technology.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I always thought the secret was not to listen to the wife with an occasional grunt or uh ha
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I usually get up around noon, so I love listening in my music room late at night for a couple hours while the world is still. I can't really enjoy daytime listening. Like to be outside in the afternoon.
    I work 2nd shift, so am also a night owl and get up later than most people. Most nights when I get home from work I listen to an album on headphones and play around on the internet to wind down.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I always thought the secret was not to listen to the wife with an occasional grunt or uh ha
    Lol

I listen to music all day, either CD's or radio. Sometimes, when I watch the news, I listen to some stuff that might be of interest on Youtube.

It varies. To and from work. And then my fiancée lives 40 minutes away so always in the car to and from her area, which is often. And she loves a lot of great music, as does my daughter and we'll all listen together quite a bit. But mostly in my downtime when I'm not playing the piano alone every morning or in my fiancée's band where I play guitar and this takes up a lot of my free time. So I'd say it could be anywhere from 5 to 12 cds per week as some days when I have company I'll have hours worth of music going. Until they make me play the piano, lol.

I used to listen to music back and forth on my 50 minute commute and anytime I was in the car. IPod with all my music digitized. But I must admit, I have been hooked by the Audio Book thing. I now listen to stories more than I do music in the car. At work, I probably get 1-2 hours of music in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Ok, I checked my statistics... estimation above was little bit off: I listened last year 2443 full albums which makes 6,7 albums per day.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Lately I'm not sure if I listen as much as I want to or whether it's not really enough. It doesn't take me very long to read about bands (on PE) that pique my interest and add to the queue of music yet to be digested. (The "top 5 from 2019" thread has been great!)

But my habits don't really facilitate keeping up with that queue.

1.) I commute with my wife so we will talk, listen to the news, listen to mutually interesting podcasts, or....sometimes music if it's not too bizarre.

2.) At work there are probably times I could listen to music, but I don't want to get into something and be interrupted. And I'm often engaged in that other hobby of reading about the current depressing state of the world. Or reading about new bands here, lol.

3.) In the evening I tend to spend my time doing chores around the house, hanging out watching a few shows with my wife, watching more news when she falls asleep, and maybe playing some guitar/bass if the mood strikes. Or if she wants to watch a show that annoys me I'll go down to the music room/man cave and listen to an album. So it's largely on me to change my habits and make music more of a priority.

I've recently suggested that we start working on some puzzles together at least a couple evenings a week, during which I can put on some music. We just got a puzzle board so I'm hoping we give this a try soon. I used to do that with my kids ages ago.

On the other hand, I try to be happy with whatever task is at hand, my own thoughts, and without having to always break the silence with music.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Where I work, I'm alone for about 50% of the time, so I always have some sort of music happening there. If I'm surfing the web or doing some activity that doesn't require me to use my ears (such as cooking or cleaning), I"ll have music playing. It just feels like I'm wasting time if I don't have music on in the background. Even while watching sports on TV, I usually have music playing over a muted television.

I usually check here during a slow time at work or at night when I get home. Sometimes I just leave the window open, so it probably looks like I'm attentively here more than I really am.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

The music bug has always had my attention, since of a very young age, I am now retired, and have built a very nice music room, for both playing guitar and listening, both are activities that I have always loved. After suffering a serious health issue at the age of 50, (brain tumor/brain hemorrhage, Coma, etc.) part of my recovery meant doing things that were not taxing. So music became one of my most important therapies.

And it helped tremendously, so most every evening, I spend a good 4-5 hours listening to my stereo.

I play music all day at work. It is always on. I play music when I wake at home and when I get home. It is always on. :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I listen to tons of music, but usually stuff my wife will like as well. If I get some alone time I'll crank up the good stuff. I'm a woodworker/artist, so when I'm sanding a piece the headphones go on and I'll bliss out.

While retired, I have found that with wireless earbuds I can listen to a lot more music.
    For example I may take a spinning class and listen to Transatlantic or Rush instead
    Of the instructors playlist. When walking the dog or just working around the house
    These wireless earbuds allow me to listen to what I want without disturbing others
    or having to politely listen or suffer through music chosen by others.