Thread: Perfect Beings disband

Perfect Beings disband

From the band's FB page:

Dear Perfect Beings fans,

End of a decade - end of an era. As some of you may have already put together, it is time to announce that Perfect Beings have disbanded. We thank you for your support throughout the past 6 years, as we could not have done any of this without you.

We did have a few artistic differences when we started to approach our next record. Our deal with InsideOut/Sony had run it’s course. So in the end we agreed that it would be better to go out on a high note, rather than forcing something that didn’t come naturally. Also, being a musician and supporting oneself as an independent artist has become increasingly harder since the rise of popular streaming platforms. This simple fact had also put a strain on us (and presumably many other artists), trying to make a living by creating and playing original music.

All that said, we will continue individually as artists in one form or another. Jesse just released an amazing album titled Mono Sources (monosources.com), Ryan has been involved with the Resonance Experience and has been creating immersive, meditative music (ryanhurtgen.com), Ben is engaged in various cool projects in and around LA (levindrums.com) and Johannes (johannesluley.com) is currently conceptualizing a jazz album.

So please stay in touch and keep checking in with us. We will always look forward to hear from you. If you are looking to buy some PB music, we still have all three albums in various formats, as well as T-shirts for PBII and Vier, available at https://perfectbeingsband.com/store/

Happy Holidays and onward to a great 2020,

Johannes, Jesse, Ryan and Ben.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Too Bad. I thought "Vier" was a really good modern take on Symphonic prog that maybe did not get the recognition it deserved.

Sad news. PB were one the really good bands for me. I loved all three albums and Veir was a brilliant album. They had such a YES flavor but still fresh and modern. A bummer for me, I was a really appreciative fan of their music.

Never heard of them.

Yeah, this was sad news to read. I liked their music and they had a different sound from a lot of modern "prog" bands, while still having some Yes flavor in there (largely due to Johannes). But they went out on a high with Vier.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Never heard of them.
    They're one of the bands that formed after Moth Vellum disbanded. Johannes Luley, the guitarist for MV, was also in Perfect Beings.

I am sorry to see them disband. I really liked their first two albums but was not that fond of "Vier". Hope to hear more from them in their new incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

They're one of the bands that formed after Moth Vellum disbanded. Johannes Luley, the guitarist for MV, was also in Perfect Beings.
    Ah, OK thanks.

I bought all three albums & enjoyed them. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad....started with Moth Vellum and continued to all the Perfect Beings releases. I thought their newest was incredible! .... I have a feeling this will be happening more and more due to lack of income....also truly sad...
    So much music....so little time....

Jon Neudorf
    Awesome band. Love their first and Vier, havent heard II yet. Complex yet catchy. Will miss this band.

I only have their most recent album, but really like it a lot. I also thought they were great at ROSfest too. Sad they are calling it a day.

i always thought that “removal of the identity chip” – if only by sheer structure – could be seen as a potted contemporary version of “awaken” for present times. and – don’t laugh! – johannes luley could easily take over from steve howe in YES should he ever throw in the towel and retire.

Bummer. One of the very best bands of the modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Bummer. One of the very best bands of the modern era.
    Agreed. One of my favourite discoveries of the last few years.
    I think there is no doubt that Johannes Luley will reappear in the prog world in one way or another.
    However I thought Ryan Hurtgen was an amazing vocalist who will really be missed. Apparently he is not originally into prog so it's unlikely he will continue to make music in that genre. He seems to be more into meditative music at the moment.

Johannes and Jimmy Haun are the two guys I have heard that really can channel Howe-Yes style of playing. His solo album is like a full homage to Olias. He is a Yes trooper for sure. Would be a great replacement if Howe handed it down and Jimmy said no LOL(he's friends with jay and billy)....

this won't occur, I am just agreeing that he is a great Yes-like guitarist....you are correct sir! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i always thought that “removal of the identity chip” – if only by sheer structure – could be seen as a potted contemporary version of “awaken” for present times. and – don’t laugh! – johannes luley could easily take over from steve howe in YES should he ever throw in the towel and retire.

Bump. I like all of their 3 albums. Sad, but I can imagine how difficult is is these days if you don't have a certain reach.

Disappointing news. Veir was very promising album even if it was very over-long.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I just goes to show: no band is perfect...!