Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's March 1st - new SPOCK'S BEARD

Maybe it is because I have the software, but the intermediary step to convert from FLAC to WAV doesn't need to be done by me.

Then again, burning tracks to CDs is so last decade. Most music is played digitally, and places where I need CDs don't allow CD-Rs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    Maybe it is because I have the software, but the intermediary step to convert from FLAC to WAV doesn't need to be done by me.

Then again, burning tracks to CDs is so last decade. Most music is played digitally, and places where I need CDs don't allow CD-Rs.
    I don't wear earphones when I drive,so it's cds for me,last decade or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    My take - please correct me if I misstate anything:

- CD players generally play CDs and CDRs which contain songs stored in Wav files. Store bought CDs contain Wav files.

- mp3 and FLAC files are compressed, making them "smaller" (take up less space on a storage device, such as your hard drive) than Wav files.

- when mp3 files are created, the compression causes a loss of some of the "information" contained in the original Wav files. This loss of information results in a loss of audio quality, the degree to which depends on the extent of the compression. mp3 files encoded with a high "bit rate", such as 320 mbps, are generally considered to be very close in fidelity to full size Wav files - i.e., most people won't hear the difference, though I'm sure many can. Encoding at 128 mbps makes a smaller file, but with greater loss of audio quality than those encoded with a higher bit rate.

- mp3 files are much more practical for portable players, like iPods or iPhones, which have limited capacity, because they are significantly smaller than full size Wav files, even if encoded with a high bit rate. From looking at some of the Spock's Beard files I downloaded, the 320 mbps mp3 files are less than a quarter of the size of the WAV files, so you can fit roughly four times as much music on a device with mp3 files than if you loaded it up with Wav files.

- FLAC files, while also compressed, do not suffer from any loss of information, and therefore retain the full audio quality of Wav files. They are smaller than Wav files, but much larger than mp3 files. There are "players" (programs) that play FLAC files, but I'm not familiar with any, or don't know which ones do. If you burn FLAC files to a CD-R, I believe you essentially create a data disc, not an audio disc, as physical CD players won't play them. This is why I download FLAC files and "decode" them (convert them back to Wav files) and then burn the resulting Wav files to CDR to make an audio CD I can play in my car or home stereo CD player.

- You can also "decode" (convert) mp3 files to Wav and burn them to a CDR (most burning software probably makes this conversion automatically) but the resulting CDR will retain whatever loss of sound quality is inherent with mp3 compression. Plus, when mp3 files are created, there are often very short silent gaps at the end and/or beginning of the files, which are also retained when the files are converted back to Wav files. If you have contiguous tracks, you'll often hear these tiny silent gaps as annoying little drops in the sound, or little clicks. If you convert FLAC files to Wav, they will sound exactly like the original Wav files - no loss of audio quality and no annoying silent gaps.
    Thank you so very much. I learned a lot from what you wrote. It's still sinking in,but I now know why The Enid album I downloaded in FLAC wouldn't play for me so I told their rep that I would just prefer a cd,which they sent. Btw, The Enid didn't let you take more than one shot at it like SB did. I am so glad these initial reviews are so positive. I really had no idea how i was ripping and burning,just doing stuff until it worked,like, by the seat of my pants really. I'm perfectly happy with MP3 for driving. I always use my compressor so I don't miss out on the music due to the road noise. Especially in prog music there are,as you know,many quiet parts that in the 70's the 8-trak and later on,the cassette player just couldn't be heard and it is weird to listen to music like that while driving. I think that's why FM radio is such a wall of sound all the time,because you really don't need dynamics in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    No. You download flac, then use a converter to convert flac to wav, which you can burn to a cdr.
    Flac is just smaller than downloading wav files, so is faster. Here's a converter that is apparently free, i don't use it so don't vouch. I have a cheap ($25) piece of sw because I regularly have to change between many formats, Switch Sound Converter.

But this looks ok, looks easy to use:

http://flactowavconverter.com/
    I downloaded this but can't figure out how to get the FLAC files aka Spock's Beard into it for converting. They don't have great pathways to follow.

I heard the best track of 2013 so far on Epic Prog with the Lurker Friday night. It was the best I've heard from the Beard since Neal left.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I heard the best track of 2013 so far on Epic Prog with the Lurker Friday night. It was the best I've heard from the Beard since Neal left.
    What was the name of the song?

Really solid disc. I think it's probably the best thing they've done post-Neal. I don't know that anything on it reaches the heights of "Jaws Of Heaven" from the last album but it's probably the strongest beginning-to-end album since V.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    No songwriting input from Ryo this time
    Nice review, Thomas, I'm going to pick this up...er, download it...today. Ryo told me he's got a song slated for the next album that he's really, really stoked about. Can't wait to hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What was the name of the song?
    I assume it was Waiting for Me, although I also played I Know Your Secret.

My take on the album after a couple of spins is that if it doesn't end up in my final Top 10 albums this year then we're in for a very special 2013 year in music. The addition of a vocalist like Ted Leonard and a backing vocalist of Jimmy Keegan's abilities has really added something and Alan and Dave are monsters throughout the album. Sitting here on my lunch break at work and I can't wait to hear it again.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

My take on the album after a couple of spins is that if it doesn't end up in my final Top 10 albums this year then we're in for a very special 2013 year in music.
    That's a good assessment. I've been listening to it this morning for several spins and there's simply so much here -- great songs, great playing, great production -- all great news for Spock's fans! Although being introduced to a third lead vocalist in a band isn't easy, Ted is making it a pretty easy transition, at times reminding me of Steve Walsh or even NDV, and the vocal arrangements on this album are a real treat. One of his tunes "Submerged" is already one of my faves on the album, so I'm grateful just for that addition.

I look forward to becoming more and more familiar with this release, amidst other excellent new releases by Steven Wilson, BBT and Riverside. Whoa, this year is off to a great prog start!

Great album! A killer!

Yeah. Waiting For Me was the track. Someone in chat mentioned it was Ted's song.
    Section after section were making my ears happier and happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Someone in chat mentioned it was Ted's song.
    Section after section were making my ears happier and happier.
    It's actually by Alan and Neal. And Neal's influence is definitely apparent.

i love submerged alot great track new big big train is good but this cd blows it out water if this had not come out big big train would be cd of year title so far

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by prognoir View Post
    i love submerged alot great track new big big train is good but this cd blows it out water if this had not come out big big train would be cd of year title so far
    4 records currently tied for record of the year...and we're only 2 months in!!

Lifesigns, Spock, Big Big Train, and Steven Wilson

The more I listen to their new album, the more impressed I am. Ted is really killin' it, along with Jimmy on drums. "Something Very Strange" -- wow, what a vocal delivery! The backup vocals are so well arranged. I just think opening the album with "Waiting For Me" would've been a better call (see my other thread, "Introducing a new singer to your classic prog band") to introduce the new singer in a familiar musical context. But that's a pretty small side note, this is a triumphant return for the Beard!

I just wish they were on the bill for this year's Rosfest...

You know, the one song I was sort of "meh" about at first was "Afterthoughts," and I think it's because I've been so "over" the Neal Morse sound since he left the band. But I'm totally digging it now. It's a really nice interlude, and the two new vocalists really handle the madrigal thing very well. (I assume Jimmy Keegan is contributing vocally as well.) The Neal Morse sound in this song and "Waiting For Me" is a nice cherry on top of an already sweet sundae of music.

What - no more talk about this album? I've been playing it nearly EVERY day since it came out 19 days ago!

This is going to be a contender for Album Of The Year for me, especially up against giants like SW and BBT, and later this year, DT!

This is one of the stronger SB albums to date, and for me, it will surely age VERY well.

-Marc.

Oh, yes, I'm still loving it. It's in regular rotation with the two BBT albums. "Waiting For Me" is just excellent and sometimes merits repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    What - no more talk about this album? I've been playing it nearly EVERY day since it came out 19 days ago!

This is going to be a contender for Album Of The Year for me, especially up against giants like SW and BBT, and later this year, DT!

This is one of the stronger SB albums to date, and for me, it will surely age VERY well.

-Marc.
    It's 2 day till the physical release, so I have to wait till I can discuss it here.

Old man of prog
    This album is KILLING me. It gets better with every listen and my favorite track is constantly changing. The "extra" tracks are first rate and there's no sense of just filling time with them like the new Riverside for example. Just spectacular!

Jefferson James
    Agree with all the positive comments -- this is simply a smashing album! Still taking it all in but color me blown away.

Banned
    I listened to the full album not too long ago on YouTube, and I'm glad to say that The Beard is back!!

Are people receiving the CDs yet?

I'm still waiting on my preorder and don't have a download link

No physical cd but I did DL.