Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured Album: Plat Du Jour - s/t

Featured Album: Plat Du Jour - s/t

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...42112017_r.jpg

Last coach/Trane to Kookamongaville before heading to the new world.
    This week, one of those albums that typifies the musical insurrection climate that pervaded through France after the student revolt May 68 shook its foundations

Plat Du Jour

PDJ.jpg

Tracks Listing
    1. 5 & 1 (6:35)
    2. Autoroute (4:45)
    3. Zilbra (4:50)
    4. Totem (8:05)
    5. L'Homme (4:45)
    6. Rock'n' Speed (5:50)

Line-up
    - Vincent Denis / vocals, guitar
    - Jacques Staub / keyboards, percussion
    - Alain Potier / saxophone, vocals
    - Rodolphe Moulin / bass, vocals

Here what Aussie-Byrd-Brother had to say about it
    A brain melting stew of jazz-fusion, Zeuhl and avant-garde experimentation with a pinch of the Canterbury sound (plus anything else you can think of!), the debut/one-off album from obscure French collective Plat du Jour from 1977 is a bewildering but utterly indispensable work! Holding six tracks of dissonant weary sax, noisy guitars, thick liquid bass, sparkling electric piano, colourful keyboards, a battery of rattling drumming and screeching deranged French vocal twitches, it's an eclectic mix that makes for one completely mad vintage era prog album that's worthy of so much more attention and status!

The schizophrenic lead track `5 & 11' opens with drowsy wafting sax ambience and sighing voices before exploding into stuttering filthy and wild electric guitar spasms, nightmarish electric piano trickles and a pained howling vocal, all permeated with a creeping Zeuhl-like menace. `Autoroute' is book-ended by shimmering dreamy washes of glistening ambient synths and ruminative bass, but diverts into a maddening Zeuhl eruption of snarling guitar gargles and murky fuzzed distortion in between. The baffling `Zilbra' moves through everything from pumping dancing beats with funky serpentine bass to sauntering chilled guitar jamming and crooning falsetto before a Canterbury-flavoured dirty fuzz-organ climax behind a Can/Damo Suzuki-like inane spitting scat vocal rant - phew!

Mud-thick slithering bass and maniacal swirling Hammond organ runs graft supremely dirty grooves to the heavily improvised `Totem', guitar crashing through everything from bluesy struts and snarling psychedelic wailing. `L'Homme' is a pleasingly lo-fi and shambling acoustic ballad flecked with the lightest of electric piano tiptoes, droning electronics and fuzzy electric guitar distortion, and closer `Rock 'N' Speed' is a rip-roaring jazz-fusion blowout of spiralling sax and breakneck drumming with a nice mellow come-down in the closing minutes.

After taunting listeners with only a long-vanished initial vinyl run in the Seventies and some uploaded teasing clips on Youtube, finally the `Plat du Jour' album is available again in 2016 on reissued LP and CD sets from the Paisley Press label, so open-minded prog fans can easily track it down again - likely for the first time!

The schizophrenic nature of this set will either make or break the album for listeners, and some of production is a bit do-it- yourself, but these inconsistencies are exactly what give the album a rough grit that makes it even more delicious. If you click with it, there's a ton of danger-laced, unhinged and addictive grooving noise to love with `Plat du Jour', and those looking for fascinating obscurities and unpolished musical gems will likely relish what they find here. It's another in the long line of bizarre one-and-done acts that left a sole precious work to treasure and count among the absolutely essential prog-related fringe albums.
    review permalink: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1696757

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Duncan needs to make a Sticki Wiki to refer to when necessary.

-One- response in six hours for such a totally great effin' album. Truly an example of how "obscurity" implies absolutely nothing in terms of musical quality, and also of the fact that there's very obviously no such thing as an actively informed "prog scene" to talk about at all anymore.

Second half of the 70s onto the early-to-mid 80s, France, and there's Lard Free, Komintern, Albert Marcoeur, Pataphonie, Weïdorje, Mosaïc, Camizole, Etron Fou Leloublan, Mahjun, Eider Stellaire, Vortex, Zed/Szajner, Eskaton, Abus Dangereux, Hydravion, Noëtra, Terpandre, Flamen Dialis, Jean-Paul Prat, Art Zoyd, Serge Bringolf, Forgas, Potemkine, Bise de Buse, Speed Limit, Francois Bréant, Dün, Eric Delaunay, Shub-Niggurath, Musique Noise, ... and Plat Du Jour plus so many, many more - all of them creating at times wildly imaginative works within the confinements of contemporary rock.

Yet who'd care.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great and thanks: totally out of my "radar"!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

A nice short lil slab of 70s avant prog.

Needs a revisit, I only have a vinyl rip of this.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'd never heard this. Sampled the whole album this morning. Not super fond of some of the vocals (though in other places they're wonderful), but the music is pretty cool! A Zeuhly vibe, but not really like Magma and some of the other big names. Like the review says, they mix a lot of elements together, and it presents an eclectic palette that holds together really well. This is now very much on my radar, good call!

Bill

Update... I just ordered this on Discogs. Definitely worthy of some serious attention. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill

A magnificent album of which I am a proud owner. Dark and playful at the same time, it occupies the space between bands like Magma and more traditional fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Electric Miles. What is most important, it does so in a pretty unique and adventurous way. What they offer is clearly their own brew, and it is delicious. For some reason, you never really know where they are getting to, they pose more questions than answers, they leave a lot of space for the listener to fill in the gaps. I've listened to this many times, and still discover new things - never really getting tired of this music.

Pity that there was no follow-up, these guys seem like they really had it.

France is the place to go for good Prog in the years 1975-1985. It's also the place for the same thing today.

One of those undiscoverd treasures from France. And it's still in need of a legit CD rerelease.
    (there are legit vinyl reissues)

Other than that it's a bit short there is absolutley nothing bad to say about it

I have the distinctly not legit Paisley Press CD, which actually sounds pretty good for a needle-drop. I gave it a listen last night - gem of an album. Love the grimy, stripped-down feel of it and the consistently foreboding atmosphere it develops. Nothing wasted here. This is a record you could give to a Stooges fan who doesn’t like prog and they would probably dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    -One- response in six hours for such a totally great effin' album. Truly an example of how "obscurity" implies absolutely nothing in terms of musical quality, and also of the fact that there's very obviously no such thing as an actively informed "prog scene" to talk about at all anymore.
    I knew it was a little soon to start ranting about the answers or reactions, given that I opened the thread on a sunday morning, but in the end, iy-t's not like I'm expecting a 7-pages long thread in two days. I'm not exactly featuring Yes or Crimson albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    What is most important, it does so in a pretty unique and adventurous way. What they offer is clearly their own brew, and it is delicious. For some reason, you never really know where they are getting to, they pose more questions than answers, they leave a lot of space for the listener to fill in the gaps. I've listened to this many times, and still discover new things - never really getting tired of this music.
    Yup, PdJ is was wildly unpredictable and even now that I've spun it around a 100 times, I'm still hungry for an extra spin. I never pull it out of my racks for a ingle spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I have the distinctly not legit Paisley Press CD, which actually sounds pretty good for a needle-drop. I gave it a listen last night - gem of an album. Love the grimy, stripped-down feel of it and the consistently foreboding atmosphere it develops. Nothing wasted here. This is a record you could give to a Stooges fan who doesn’t like prog and they would probably dig it.
    The Paisly Press is what I own as well. Amazing thar Musea never tried to reissue it, and that Pailsley had to do it only three years ago.

And yes, this is the kind of "prog" that some punkheads like along with Dashiell Hedayatt.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm not featuring Yes or Crimson
    Dammit.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I have this version on order from Discogs. Sorry to learn it's not legit, but... c'est la vie, that was what was available. Glad to hear it sounds pretty good.

Bill

I once interviewed the late Francois Ovide who, iirc, guests on this though not on guitar, and he told me hé’d actually been a member prior to them making the album. I think he’d joined Marcoeur’s band in the meantime.

Banned
    Nothing much to add other than I think it's a great quirky album full of unique charm. Love it.

I have the vinyl re-issue. I found it at the local store. It was good to find such a piece there. I snatched it like there was no tomorrow.

It's kind of sick how underrated these French bands are. I am sort of proud to have broken into the narrow circle of people who understand how brilliant these bands were, but also sad that no one will ever bother to explore their delicate offerings.

Banned
    ^^^
    Lucky you! I have only a vinyl rip from a friend from years ago. I feel a bit funny about it, but at the time there wasn’t another source but I’d gladly go for a reissue. Perhaps I will revisit and look around.

Don’t be sad - you are a member of the elite cognoscenti and as such it is your right to sneer with contempt at the filthy ignorant masses of sheeple who slavishly follow the latest style and gladly acquiesce to being force-fed “art” by faceless corporations.

P.S. Do you have your VDGG tickets for Athens?

^ I got mine from here: https://www.recordheaven.net/index.c...&showList=true

It plays beautifully. Replica have carried out some great reissues.

Banned
    ^^^ They’re out of stock at the moment but I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

P.S. Do you have your VDGG tickets for Athens?
    Not yet, but it won't be a problem. See you there I guess?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Not yet, but it won't be a problem. See you there I guess?
    I wish!

Excellent album... had several copies of it during the years until I found a pristine one in the mid 00s.

By the way, I just stumbled upon a vinyl reissue of it on an italian "grey area" label.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-20-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Looks like another FA thread of mine that won't reach page 2

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I once interviewed the late Francois Ovide who, iirc, guests on this though not on guitar, and he told me hé’d actually been a member prior to them making the album. I think he’d joined Marcoeur’s band in the meantime.
    thanks for the chime

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Second half of the 70s onto the early-to-mid 80s, France, and there's Lard Free, Komintern, Albert Marcoeur, Pataphonie, Weïdorje, Mosaïc, Camizole, Etron Fou Leloublan, Mahjun, Eider Stellaire, Vortex, Zed/Szajner, Eskaton, Abus Dangereux, Hydravion, Noëtra, Terpandre, Flamen Dialis, Jean-Paul Prat, Art Zoyd, Serge Bringolf, Forgas, Potemkine, Bise de Buse, Speed Limit, Francois Bréant, Dün, Eric Delaunay, Shub-Niggurath, Musique Noise, ... and Plat Du Jour plus so many, many more
    You're just mentioning all of those to show off!

'Cause that's what -I- would be doing if it was me doing it! Oops...

Listening anew to Plat Du Jour this afternoon, and hot darn - it's even better now than last December. I spun the Artcane before it, and while I enjoy that one, it doesn't state "its own" in anywhere near the manner or extent of the Plat. This really -is- up there with Potemkine, Eskaton, Vortex or Dün, or in certain passages almost taking on the wild originality of someone like Etron Fou or Marcoeur.

Though merely almost.

On second thought it brings to mind the sole Mosaïc record, in that it displays tendencies towards both avant-fusion (with some light chamber antics and sonorities), acid rock and proto-punk. Those murky vibes of aggression are pretty particular; with the possible exception of someone like VdGG or Gnidrolog, British bands of this type would rarely go there. And Plat Du Jour's fury wasn't really that theatrical sort of theirs, more a direct expression of temper.