Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Concerts of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Bertha's, Baltimore
    I used to play with a hard bop quintet there. Eat Bertha's mussels!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Muse - Chicago
    Chicago - Milwaukee (unexpected surprise when they played primarily material from first 2 albums, otherwise would not have achieved this rating)
    Claudio Simonetti's Goblin - Progtoberfest V
    Dweezil Zappa - Arcada Theater
    King Crimson - Chicago
    Morglbl - ProgDay
    Carla Kihlstedt / ICE - Big Ears
    The Tubes - Iridium, NYC (performed all of Completion Backward Principal)
    Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets - Chicago & Milwaukee
    Mimi Goese & Ben Neill - Big Ears
    Toto - Chicago
    Mike Keneally / Andy West - ProgDay
    This Is Not This Heat - Chicago
    Brian Auger - Chicago
    Nils Frahm - Big Ears
    Oneohtrix Point Zero - Midwinter Fest, Chicago
    Strange Changes - ProgDay
    Annie Gosfield & Roger Kleier - LOUD Festival
    Marbin - ProgDay
    Mercury Rev’s Clear Light Ensemble with Steve Shelley, Tim Berne, Ben Neill, Mimi Goese and others - Big Ears
    Annea Lockwood - LOUD Festival
    Pamela Z - Attention - LOUD Festival
    Max Richter with ACME - Chicago
    Annie Gosfield - Detroit Industry / Almost Truths & Open Deceptions - LOUD Festival

The top of the list. There are 75 more with many of them substantial. Another great year in music for me!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Carla Kihlstedt / ICE - Big Ears

This Is Not This Heat - Chicago

Man I wanted to see Carla at Big Ears but I wasn't going to walk out of This Is Not This Heat until it ended. Toughest call of the festival for me. Was very glad to see Carla in Rabbit Rabbit Radio supporting Cheer-Accident in Boston. RRR were excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Man I wanted to see Carla at Big Ears but I wasn't going to walk out of This Is Not This Heat until it ended. Toughest call of the festival for me. Was very glad to see Carla in Rabbit Rabbit Radio supporting Cheer-Accident in Boston. RRR were excellent.
    I had planned to see This Is Not This Heat at Big Ears, but due to logistics (and my not liking Mill & Mine) decided on a replacement last minute. Carla it was and she delivered fabulously for me. Fortunately, TINTH came to my area later in the year. So It was a good choice for me. Have not seen Rabbit Rabbit Radio, and would love to.

Ian, hope to catch up a bit at Big Ears. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    I had planned to see This Is Not This Heat at Big Ears, but due to logistics (and my not liking Mill & Mine) decided on a replacement last minute. Carla it was and she delivered fabulously for me. Fortunately, TINTH came to my area later in the year. So It was a good choice for me. Have not seen Rabbit Rabbit Radio, and would love to.

Ian, hope to catch up a bit at Big Ears. Cheers!
    I'm sure we'll see each other at Big Ears.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Since moving to Philadelphia, I have seen many more concerts than were possible living in St. Louis. 2019 was no exception. Most shows were either in Philly or within 1.5 hours of Philly. The festivals that I attended, ProgDay, ProgStock, and Strawbs 50th Anniversary Celebration were all highly enjoyable.

TOP FAVORITES:

- Dirty Projectors - I've always wanted to see them live. They were even better than I expected.
    - Jon Anderson (5 times) - Concerts of the Year for me. The energy, song selection, and performance by the entire band were better than I could have ever imagined. Best Jon Anderson solo shows that I've seen since the Mother's Day Concert in 1996.
    - Lawrence Gowan - One man show in a car dealership of all places! I was blown away by the Gowan band's performance when they opened for Tears for Fears in the '80s and always wanted to see him solo again. He was just as amazing this time even without a full band. Very intimate and fun performance.
    - Rocket Scientists - Sure they're bombastic, but I loved them. Great to see them again.
    - Strawbs 50th Anniversary Celebration - Featured various incarnations of the Strawbs and solo sets plus special guests including Larry Fast, Annie Haslam, and Eric Bazilian.

MORE FAVORITES:

- 3.2 featuring Robert Berry - Good to finally see him live. Great selection of songs plus interesting stories.
    - Accordo Dei Contrari
    - California Guitar Trio & Montreal Guitare Trio - First time seeing them together and was even better than I expected. I enjoyed the individual sets plus their combined set.
    - iNFiNiEN - Great jazzy/proggy band based in Philadelphia
    - Kansas (2 times) - I've seen them many, many times beginning with the Song for America tour. Although nothing will match the excitement of the early tours, they sound as good today as ever.
    - Keaggy, Levin, and Marotta - Very fortunate to see one of just a handful of these shows that were performed. First time seeing Keaggy who is every bit as good as I expected.
    - King Crimson (2 times) - An assault on the senses. (In this case, that is a good thing!)
    - Levin Brothers - Love these guys! The new guitarist allowed them to mix in more styles of music on this tour.
    - Randy McStine (3 times) - Super impressive guitarist / singer. I loved the variety that he brought to his one man show.
    - Us, Today - Never heard of them before Progday but loved their combo of prog, jazz, and whatever featuring a vibraphone player!
    - Yes (4 times) - Any show with Gates of Delirium is a winner for me! No, they did not perform the song note for note but they captured the feel of the song.

HIGHLY ENJOYABLE:

- Adrian Belew (2 times)
    - Asia (4 times) - I loved Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal's addition to the band. I enjoyed their entire set, but it really came alive when Steve Howe joined them partway through.
    - Carl Palmer (4 times) - I loved the addition of Arthur Brown!!
    - Catalyst Quartet - Classical string quartet we saw at a beautiful venue in Woodstock. Our favorite performance was written by Philip Glass. Pieces by Bach, Brahms, and Franck were also performed.
    - Discipline
    - Frogg Café
    - IZZ
    - John Lodge (4 times)
    - Kikagaku Moyo - Modern psych band from Japan. Very entertaining and intense at times!
    - Marbin - Saved the day at Progday this year. I forgot how good they are!
    - Mike Keneally & Andy West
    - Mörglbl
    - Patrick Moraz
    - Paul Green Rock Academy (3 times)
    - Renaissance
    - Rick Wakeman
    - San Fermin
    - Steve Hackett - Is he ever less than great?
    - Tom Brislin
    - The Who - First time seeing them. They put a great show - better than I expected.

I saw many other shows that I also enjoyed.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

- Bryan Ferry - Never saw him before but was underwhelmed by his show. Great musicians but the show wasn't very dynamic.
    - Pineapple Thief - Talented band but bored after the first 15 minutes.
    - Riverside - Ditto to Pineapple Thief. I feel like this for a lot of modern prog bands.

Aside from Jon Anderson, it looks like Tony Levin is the MVP of the year, featuring in 3 different bands and 4 performances. Thanks to Rhea Frankel for compiling her list of 2019 concerts, providing me with most of the data for my list. Here's to more great music in 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Heilung is touring the US??!! I'm going to have to find the dates. I think I might even travel for that one, if I have to. Thanks for mentioning it.
    I saw this last night in Chi-town. The show was incredible, but the venue sucked. Riveting, immersive performance that presented more as ritual than concert. If you don't already have tickets, you'll probably have to pay a small ransom for them. However, those of you who are going are in for a treat, and one you won't forget.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw this last night in Chi-town. The show was incredible, but the venue sucked. Riveting, immersive performance that presented more as ritual than concert. If you don't already have tickets, you'll probably have to pay a small ransom for them. However, those of you who are going are in for a treat, and one you won't forget.
    I've got tickets for NYC on Friday night, both NYC gigs are sold out with standing tickets going for $150 on stubhub. Really looking forward to this.
    Ian

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Since moving to Philadelphia, I have seen many more concerts than were possible living in St. Louis. 2019 was no exception. Most shows were either in Philly or within 1.5 hours of Philly. The festivals that I attended, ProgDay, ProgStock, and Strawbs 50th Anniversary Celebration were all highly enjoyable.

TOP FAVORITES:

- Dirty Projectors - I've always wanted to see them live. They were even better than I expected.
    - Jon Anderson (5 times) - Concerts of the Year for me. The energy, song selection, and performance by the entire band were better than I could have ever imagined. Best Jon Anderson solo shows that I've seen since the Mother's Day Concert in 1996.
    - Lawrence Gowan - One man show in a car dealership of all places! I was blown away by the Gowan band's performance when they opened for Tears for Fears in the '80s and always wanted to see him solo again. He was just as amazing this time even without a full band. Very intimate and fun performance.
    - Rocket Scientists - Sure they're bombastic, but I loved them. Great to see them again.
    - Strawbs 50th Anniversary Celebration - Featured various incarnations of the Strawbs and solo sets plus special guests including Larry Fast, Annie Haslam, and Eric Bazilian.

MORE FAVORITES:

- 3.2 featuring Robert Berry - Good to finally see him live. Great selection of songs plus interesting stories.
    - Accordo Dei Contrari
    - California Guitar Trio & Montreal Guitare Trio - First time seeing them together and was even better than I expected. I enjoyed the individual sets plus their combined set.
    - iNFiNiEN - Great jazzy/proggy band based in Philadelphia
    - Kansas (2 times) - I've seen them many, many times beginning with the Song for America tour. Although nothing will match the excitement of the early tours, they sound as good today as ever.
    - Keaggy, Levin, and Marotta - Very fortunate to see one of just a handful of these shows that were performed. First time seeing Keaggy who is every bit as good as I expected.
    - King Crimson (2 times) - An assault on the senses. (In this case, that is a good thing!)
    - Levin Brothers - Love these guys! The new guitarist allowed them to mix in more styles of music on this tour.
    - Randy McStine (3 times) - Super impressive guitarist / singer. I loved the variety that he brought to his one man show.
    - Us, Today - Never heard of them before Progday but loved their combo of prog, jazz, and whatever featuring a vibraphone player!
    - Yes (4 times) - Any show with Gates of Delirium is a winner for me! No, they did not perform the song note for note but they captured the feel of the song.

HIGHLY ENJOYABLE:

- Adrian Belew (2 times)
    - Asia (4 times) - I loved Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal's addition to the band. I enjoyed their entire set, but it really came alive when Steve Howe joined them partway through.
    - Carl Palmer (4 times) - I loved the addition of Arthur Brown!!
    - Catalyst Quartet - Classical string quartet we saw at a beautiful venue in Woodstock. Our favorite performance was written by Philip Glass. Pieces by Bach, Brahms, and Franck were also performed.
    - Discipline
    - Frogg Café
    - IZZ
    - John Lodge (4 times)
    - Kikagaku Moyo - Modern psych band from Japan. Very entertaining and intense at times!
    - Marbin - Saved the day at Progday this year. I forgot how good they are!
    - Mike Keneally & Andy West
    - Mörglbl
    - Patrick Moraz
    - Paul Green Rock Academy (3 times)
    - Renaissance
    - Rick Wakeman
    - San Fermin
    - Steve Hackett - Is he ever less than great?
    - Tom Brislin
    - The Who - First time seeing them. They put a great show - better than I expected.

I saw many other shows that I also enjoyed.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

- Bryan Ferry - Never saw him before but was underwhelmed by his show. Great musicians but the show wasn't very dynamic.
    - Pineapple Thief - Talented band but bored after the first 15 minutes.
    - Riverside - Ditto to Pineapple Thief. I feel like this for a lot of modern prog bands.

Aside from Jon Anderson, it looks like Tony Levin is the MVP of the year, featuring in 3 different bands and 4 performances. Thanks to Rhea Frankel for compiling her list of 2019 concerts, providing me with most of the data for my list. Here's to more great music in 2020!
    Just, WOW! If I saw that many shows in 3-5 years, I'd be very happy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've got tickets for NYC on Friday night, both NYC gigs are sold out with standing tickets going for $150 on stubhub. Really looking forward to this.
    If it's General Admission, get there early enough to get a spot with great sight lines. There is a lot to see.

Who knows if they'll be able to make it back, despite the success of this tour. So glad I was able to make this, despite the 4 1/2 hour drive and used time off from work. Truly special.

That was my thinking too, don't know if they'll get back so I'll take a day off and get on the train from Boston to NYC.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Just, WOW! If I saw that many shows in 3-5 years, I'd be very happy.
    Just the cost of going to that many shows in a year would put me in a poor house.

A few shows I recall really enjoying last year were Joe Jackson, Jon Anderson, Steve Hackett, Adrian Belew, ZZ Top, and Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Just the cost of going to that many shows in a year would put me in a poor house.
    Exactly. I personally, not only do not have the spare time or have that much spare money!! I love going to concerts but what roylayer listed is quite overkill and falls into beyond insanely die hard.

So, are you going to any cruises this year?

Kinetic Element LIVE FROM NEW YORK. A recording of the show from Oct. 14, 2019 at My Father's Place in Roslyn, NY (Long Island), the re-incarnation of Eppy Epstein's iconic venue which is now functioning in the Roslyn Hotel. The tracks came out great. This is 75 minutes of unadulterated, pretty damn good symphonic prog rock including a track mentioned above which has not been released on a studio album yet "Chasing The Lesser Light." watch the video of this song here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O-wXpeCMM&t=308s You may purchase the CD here https://kineticelement.bandcamp.com/...OiA2dcmjKo7Yzo And if you buy the CD we will give you the link to the video download of the whole show at no charge. This is probably the best show we have ever played, even if My Father's Place doesn't have the big modern light show.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

And then 2020 arrived