Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a decent MP3 editor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need a decent MP3 editor

I just recorded a show live, and I need to take the 59 minute audio and break it into little bits. I am not in my studio to use SONAR. Is there a decent - and somewhat intuitive freeware that will allow me to take snippets and create a 5 minute highlight track for my promotion packet?

Ableton Live is way too cumbersome. I tried MP3 Cutter. Looking for something more intuitive

Audacity?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I found Goldwave to be easy to use, but it's not free once the trial period is over.

2nd vote for Audacity. It’s free, it’s powerful and it’s intuitive.

Audacity.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

It's not in the least bit audacious, but I also recommend Audacity.

Audacity

Another for Audacity. Use multiple windows, or even multiple audio tabs in the same window. Highlight, cut and paste the snippets together, simple as that. Good, simple effects in case you want to fade in and out between snips.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Good, simple effects in case you want to fade in and out between snips.
    Simple to zoom into individual samples, to set sample edges to zero amplitude, for noise-free splices.

Another vote for Audacity. But just be aware, if you are using a Catalina-updated Mac, some of the features of Audacity may not work. But I think for the OP's purposes, it should work fine.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I fixed a dropout at around 2:22 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxOWqTCHLno using Goldwave; my version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5xhOt9PLE

I don't know why the vaultmeisters didn't do it themselves, unless they were shooting for warts-n-all veracity.

I'll give Audacity the try. If it works for me great! I may also give Goldwave a try. I think I've used that in ages past. I have no issue paying for a product I will use. I did try the movie maker in Windows 7 (my Studio machine) - It seems to have done OK. Not that the subject/material is that good in the first place. Crap, I am one fat, old and ugly buzzard.

https://www.facebook.com/PapaYodelgo...3136963152355/

Sorry if the link doesnt work. I am still figuring out all this social media garbage. Is this even worth doing? I wouldn't hire this guy if I was a venue. I have a recording off the board that sounds better. But I was told the "live" sound was more "sincere".

Do any of these other products allow you to work on the audio quality? I might be able to mix the direct board sound in and beef up the sound a bit.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 12-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Sorry if the link doesnt work. I am still figuring out all this social media garbage.
    "Garbage" is right. FB and Twitter are so full of morons and demagogues (and Russian trolls posing as such) that avoiding them completely is understandable.

Banned
    I'll give Audacity the try. If it works for me great! I may also give Goldwave a try. I think I've used that in ages past. I have no issue paying for a product I will use. I did try the movie maker in Windows 7 (my Studio machine) - It seems to have done OK. Not that the subject/material is that good in the first place. Crap, I am one fat, old and ugly buzzard.

https://www.facebook.com/PapaYodelgo...3136963152355/

Sorry if the link doesnt work. I am still figuring out all this social media garbage. Is this even worth doing? I wouldn't hire this guy if I was a venue. I have a recording off the board that sounds better. But I was told the "live" sound was more "sincere".

Do any of these other products allow you to work on the audio quality? I might be able to mix the direct board sound in and beef up the sound a bit.
    Hi Yodelgoat, you sound fine! I would love to hang out at a bar where you're playing - much better than the usual material people play...and don't worry the lighting isn't good enough to see how ugly you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Hi Yodelgoat, you sound fine! I would love to hang out at a bar where you're playing - much better than the usual material people play...and don't worry the lighting isn't good enough to see how ugly you are.
    Thank you Buddha... Now I see why billions worship you, you're very, very kind.

A little alcohol on the brain also helps to smooth out the rusty parts in the hearers mind too. The Audio, on the other hand.. like the camera, doesnt lie.

Wait - you ARE the real Buddha - right?

Banned
    Wait - you ARE the real Buddha - right?
    Far from it I’m afraid, but I’d like to believe that anyone has a chance of enlightenment.

I agree. I feel like an idiot doing this promo stuff. I am tempted to just bag all of this and just play in the one venue that will hire me for the rest of my hopefully brief remaining days.

I agree. I feel like an idiot doing this promo stuff. I am tempted to just bag all of this and just play in the one venue that will hire me for the rest of my hopefully brief remaining days.
    I enjoyed your performance a lot. You have a very good voice, sing in tune with feeling and your guitar playing is also very good.
    It takes a lot of kahunas to get up on stage in front of people and perform, so be proud of yourself for that, and as we've been following your path to performing live in a thread here, you've reached one of your goals and do it very well.

As far as reaching more people for exposure I would focus on that first and worry about promoting later. In a sense, the more you put your stuff out there in as many avenues as possible, the more people will know about you and what you do.
    Since you are a one man operation I'd develop your video, mixing and editing skills and then once you have a grip on how to release the best audio/video, you can concentrate on promoting.

I would add YouTube to the list of social media to use to share with people(but whatever you do, ignore the stats and analytics they provide or it can be a bummer).

While social media has some huge negatives, it can also be a wonderful tool to share your music, and in this case your live performances. There are enough good solid people who really do like quality music and performances who still frequent Facebook.
    Many of my favorite prog bands use FB to interact with their fans and to promote new music. Saga, Dave Kerzner, Nektar, Pendragon and John Mitchell are all bands I interact with and follow on Facebook.

I'm sorry you feel like an idiot, it's really not true, uncomfortable perhaps, but don't think of yourself as selling out for using social media. It's a tool, be in control and use it for YOU, not social media using you, and I think you'll do just fine.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I enjoyed your performance a lot. You have a very good voice, sing in tune with feeling and your guitar playing is also very good.
    It takes a lot of kahunas to get up on stage in front of people and perform, so be proud of yourself for that, and as we've been following your path to performing live in a thread here, you've reached one of your goals and do it very well.

I'm sorry you feel like an idiot, it's really not true, uncomfortable perhaps, but don't think of yourself as selling out for using social media. It's a tool, be in control and use it for YOU, not social media using you, and I think you'll do just fine.
    I am getting better. I only started playing guitar and singing simultaneously Last March. Up until that point I could practice up and play a guitar part. But I was never serious about playing the guitar and singing along, - I have always been around Guitarists who would be willing to play stuff for me and much much better than I could when I was recording. Now that I am playing live and singing along, I realize that you have to practice those skills together. I am glad I'm fooling people into believing I'm an OK Guitarist. This should be a lesson to people who wish they played the guitar. Just go do it. I see improvement in my playing every month, and playing and singing is getting easier. Muscle memory is setting in. But Tommy Emmanuel has nothing to fear. Robert Plant, on the other hand may have.

I'm looking forward to doing more live videos - I think they'll get better as I work at it. I do need to do one that's right off the board - or at least mix the board sound in. A good video editor should help me do more. I am hoping I'll get some gigs out of them. The cool part is, I can play pretty much anywhere. I live in the middle of the country, so no gig would be more than a day or two away. My dream is to one day, be able to hit the road and play my way across America. How cool would that be?

Thanks for listening/Watching. I'm going to try out Avidemux. Thanks for the rec.

Banned
    My dream is to one day, be able to hit the road and play my way across America. How cool would that be?
    Super cool! In fact if you make it to the Wash/Balt area I'll be there to cheer you on! Hell, maybe I can be your opening act. Unlike you, my doodads have shriveled into tiny specks and I haven't played in front of the public since a few open mics and band gigs in my 20s and early 30s. That was a long time ago so like Top Cat said, you should take some pride that you put yourself out there and get the job done. Not sure I could (nerves, stage fright, derails/combustion upon making any mistakes, neurosis, paranoia, intolerance etc. etc.). So good for you!!!

I feel like an idiot .... for the rest of my hopefully brief remaining days.
    If you remember that none of us gets out of here alive, you'll feel less self-conscious, and worry less about appearing to be an idiot. Which you don't... and aren't. We're all gonna die soon enough -- why not have some fun in the meantime?

As to being "fat" -- in the Middle Ages that was a sign of royalty!

I am an idiot.. I meant a Video editor. I have Sonar. No need for any other MP3 editor. its the Video I was hoping to improve...

I am an idiot.. I meant a Video editor. I have Sonar. No need for any other MP3 editor. its the Video I was hoping to improve...
    A quick, simple and free video editor would be Avidemux.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

In my line of work we called this the "I.D.-ten-T" Problem, or a PEBKAC.

I'm going to watch it later. Currently listening to Pictures at an exhibition in an orchestration by Sergej Gortschakow.