Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Interview with Bill Bruford

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He never suggests that these things he observed about the current lineup are "BAD", per se. But just looking at the list you can tell that it's a way different show and vibe than any Crimson lineup Bill was in and I get the impression he wouldn't particularly like to be part of a group set up this way. A "modern classical recital" is pretty much what it is. With most of it laboriously prepped in advance. The spirit of improv that was such a big part of past lineups is dialed way back. "Short interludes of fragmented interplay" are about as good as that gets these days. So that is a big change and I suspect he missed that element. With a lineup this big though there probably isn't the same sense of freedom there was back when it was a four piece (or even six). It's quite obvious that the current lineup is more like the King Crimson orchestra and the show unfolds along those lines. A far cry from seeing them in a small club in Nashville a mere 15 years prior, roughly. It's a different ball of wax these days, but still quite enjoyable in the same way a night at the opera might be.
    spot on!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He never suggests that these things he observed about the current lineup are "BAD", per se. But just looking at the list you can tell that it's a way different show and vibe than any Crimson lineup Bill was in and I get the impression he wouldn't particularly like to be part of a group set up this way. A "modern classical recital" is pretty much what it is. With most of it laboriously prepped in advance. The spirit of improv that was such a big part of past lineups is dialed way back. "Short interludes of fragmented interplay" are about as good as that gets these days. So that is a big change and I suspect he missed that element. With a lineup this big though there probably isn't the same sense of freedom there was back when it was a four piece (or even six). It's quite obvious that the current lineup is more like the King Crimson orchestra and the show unfolds along those lines. A far cry from seeing them in a small club in Nashville a mere 15 years prior, roughly. It's a different ball of wax these days, but still quite enjoyable in the same way a night at the opera might be.
    Well said. My crotchety old self who has seen much more classical than rock in the last decade, likes what they are doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I think his main point (which he states directly) is that it is an "odd form of entertainment" to be as popular as it is in 2019. He has attended every London performance (I believe) since Crimson started back up again, so he can't dislike the music that much. I think Bill just sounds very negative in print.
    Well, if he likes it, he could have said something (anything) positive about it.

Lol I haven't seen the new KC but it sounds like there's 7 Fripp clones in the band now by Bill's description