Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New album by me (that dude from Ephemeral Sun)

I finally got my password straightened and ordered the disc today!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I just ordered, John! I look forward to it!
    Oh awesome!! Thanks so much dude, and I hope you enjoy it lots. And thank you as well for helping support Steve & Wayside at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Only one listen through this baby so far, but I really like it! My favorite tracks are "When She Calls Me Home" (simply beautiful), and the Collapsing Star suite.

This might not be what you were going for, but at times I was reminded of Anthony Phillips' synth music (his more ambient stuff). That's a good thing, in my book.

I will need more listens to fully digest this of course, so I'm looking forward to that. Also, thanks for signing the digipaks! I always like getting autographed CDs whenever available.
    Hey, I love me some Slow Dance, so the Ant reference is all kinds of flattering Yeah..."When She Calls" has been knocking around in my brain for a while but I never really was able to find a home for it until this album. I was really happy with how that one turned out. That one and "Once More Unto the Void" which...that was such a joy when I heard the final mastered version back from James. He got it. And I'll be forever grateful to him for that.

Actually, you can thank Steve for the autographs! Not that I *wouldn't* do it or anything but he specifically indicated that signed copies generally move better and I was more than happy to oblige

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And seriously...thank you all so much for the support. Heroes one and all
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I finally got my password straightened and ordered the disc today!
    Sweet! Just don't get that password hacked by Zoom or anything, and end up having your account used to order a whole bunch of my albums actually you know what? Nevermind...let those dice roll how they will
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Oh awesome!! Thanks so much dude, and I hope you enjoy it lots. And thank you as well for helping support Steve & Wayside at the same time

Hey, I love me some Slow Dance, so the Ant reference is all kinds of flattering Yeah..."When She Calls" has been knocking around in my brain for a while but I never really was able to find a home for it until this album. I was really happy with how that one turned out. That one and "Once More Unto the Void" which...that was such a joy when I heard the final mastered version back from James. He got it. And I'll be forever grateful to him for that.

Actually, you can thank Steve for the autographs! Not that I *wouldn't* do it or anything but he specifically indicated that signed copies generally move better and I was more than happy to oblige

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And seriously...thank you all so much for the support. Heroes one and all
    Ant, eh?
    Being a huge fan, it will be interesting to see if I hear some of that.

Yes, I too think an autograph is a nice addition. But I want the music of course. The pieces I have heard in the past were very impressive. So I am really looking to forward to see what a full CD of yours will be like. You have some great gear, but best of all, you know what to do to it so that you get great music out of it all.

To no surprise, I have had some free time recently, so I have been doing several projects including getting back to re-setting my studio. I was thinking about you early tonight when I was attaching some great stands to the Korg RADIAS so that it would be at just the right angle. When I get frustrated trying to get everything set up and hooked up correctly, I quietly intone (three times) “What Would John B Do?”

Well, not really, but seriously, you motivate me to get it all done and get to playing and recording. That is a cool thing.

Yay, I'm worthy of a bumper sticker: what would JB do

That's awesome about the studio dude! A good, comfortable workflow is so important...when you get an idea or inspiration, the last thing you want to do is spend 30-45 minutes trying to get things hooked up correctly

Vangelis and his "Direct" setup are for me the goal: be able to go from inspiration to a realized composition in a short a window as possible.

I hope you enjoy the full album as much as you enjoyed the tunes from YT!! And again...thank you so much for being awesome and nabbing a CD from Wayside. I already had to send a second "refill" order to Steve and it was such a treat to know that it's selling well enough to warrant sending more copies

Yay, I'm worthy of a bumper sticker: what would JB do

That's awesome about the studio dude! A good, comfortable workflow is so important...when you get an idea or inspiration, the last thing you want to do is spend 30-45 minutes trying to get things hooked up correctly

Vangelis and his "Direct" setup are for me the goal: be able to go from inspiration to a realized composition in a short a window as possible.

I hope you enjoy the full album as much as you enjoyed the tunes from YT!! And again...thank you so much for being awesome and nabbing a CD from Wayside. I already had to send a second "refill" order to Steve and it was such a treat to know that it's selling well enough to warrant sending more copies
    Good news on the sales. Getting a cramp in your signing hand?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'll do wrist exercises

Just got my copy today - ripping to the computers right now!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Because I have been busy it has been hard to find chunks of time to focus on your disc, John. But I have been listening and am very impressed. It does require focused listening due to the complexity of the pieces and the wonderful sounds.

Track nine is an early standout so far.

More listening to come...

Looks like tracks from John's album were played over here last night (or click on the Spotify-option on this page).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Looks like tracks from John's album were played over here last night (or click on the Spotify-option on this page).
    That is so cool. Wow...thanks for letting me know! I translated to English and...wow. Seriously flattered.

Because I have been busy it has been hard to find chunks of time to focus on your disc, John. But I have been listening and am very impressed. It does require focused listening due to the complexity of the pieces and the wonderful sounds.

Track nine is an early standout so far.

More listening to come...
    Yay!! I'm glad you're not hating it so far Yeah...I like 'When She Calls Me Home' a lot. Really got lucky with that particular melody.

You folks are all awesome...thanks so much for the kind words

What I like is that you didn't go for the cheap thrill or the cheap tricks. With the gear you have it would be pretty easy to just emulate Vangelis or go for the overtly pretty, layers of sound thing that many of us would fall into.

Your work is heady, complex, and requires time to digest.

That is a good thing.

I'd guess I'd better go ahead and scrap those plans for a 3-disc follow up, working title "5 Hours of Me Noodling Endlessly on the Theme To Blade Runner"

I'd guess I'd better go ahead and scrap those plans for a 3-disc follow up, working title "5 Hours of Me Noodling Endlessly on the Theme To Blade Runner"

Well, sometimes it can result in something nice

Absolutely!

Because that would delay your delivery of my commission of "Five Hours of JB Noodling on the Antarctica Themes" CD

Absolutely!

Because that would delay your delivery of my commission of "Five Hours of JB Noodling on the Antarctica Themes" CD

I like how you think!!!

...so this little diversion really is an issue (in my opinion).

I often find myself wondering where I "should" be with regards to my own compositions. Should I focus only on creating something that really stretches and challenges the listener or should I go for some of the hooks (sounds as well as harmonic motifs and melodies) that I know will turn heads? I like to do "cover versions" of some of my favorites...but i find myself second-guessing myself (is it a good use of my time or should I devote myself to new music?).

Do you sometimes cover some of your favs, John?

Do you play different things for different "audiences?"

That's a really neat question Also a fairly tricky one, so give me a bit of time to think on it!!

Take your time, Kind Sir.

I'm going to handle the easy half first: covers

I used to play in lots of covers bands and while it isn't something I've done in several years, I loved it. It's so easy to discover enjoyment in playing great songs, and the greater certainty of an audience connection is certainly sweet. There's also an ulterior motive for me: playing covers is a bit like research for my own creativity. What is it about that song, that hook or chord voicing, that resonates so strongly with me? If I reverse-engineer the song/production, can I identify the building blocks, and perhaps eventually incorporate those elements into my own writing? Sometimes there's even that unique opportunity to take something created by someone else, and craft a version that becomes as much yours as theirs (Annie Lennox did a fantastic job with this on her Medusa album, for example).

The other, mildly-less-about-creativity-than-connecting-with-an-audience side to covers is, it's often a good/easy way to rope in a prospective audience. "Check out my new original composition!" versus "Check out this cover of Schizoid Man on my album of otherwise original compositions!" It's a slippery slope mind you, and there are bands I know who kind of feel into a trap of ONLY being known for their ability to cover bigger bands. But many use it as an easy entry point for new listeners

I'm going to handle the easy half first: covers

I used to play in lots of covers bands and while it isn't something I've done in several years, I loved it. It's so easy to discover enjoyment in playing great songs, and the greater certainty of an audience connection is certainly sweet. There's also an ulterior motive for me: playing covers is a bit like research for my own creativity. What is it about that song, that hook or chord voicing, that resonates so strongly with me? If I reverse-engineer the song/production, can I identify the building blocks, and perhaps eventually incorporate those elements into my own writing? Sometimes there's even that unique opportunity to take something created by someone else, and craft a version that becomes as much yours as theirs (Annie Lennox did a fantastic job with this on her Medusa album, for example).

The other, mildly-less-about-creativity-than-connecting-with-an-audience side to covers is, it's often a good/easy way to rope in a prospective audience. "Check out my new original composition!" versus "Check out this cover of Schizoid Man on my album of otherwise original compositions!" It's a slippery slope mind you, and there are bands I know who kind of feel into a trap of ONLY being known for their ability to cover bigger bands. But many use it as an easy entry point for new listeners
    Wow...your first paragraph is EXACTLY the way I feel...that is why I learn pieces that i love and sometimes do cover versions. The learning that can be had by deconstructing a piece is very valuable. Only by assimilating the tune through playing it can one fully "get" what is going on.

At least that is the way my brain works.

So, regarding what you should do with compositions. First off: honest disclosure. I'm one of those fringe artists who actually kind of finds the whole "so underground I can see the molten core" notion a tad romantic. The sort of artist who one day appears in one of those "the best act you've never heard of" random articles. Of course, for every one of those articles about a deserving artist there are probably 5 million more who remain in the "never heard of" bucket, including yours truly! As such, I probably shoot myself in the foot more than I help myself when it comes to reaching out to audiences So...I'm kind of trying to step outside myself and be more helpful with my feedback

I think the main question you should ask yourself is, do you have a clear sense of your audience, and do they have a clear sense of you? If you have a core audience who already know and "get" you then stretching them makes sense, because they themselves have a sense of who you are against which to stretch. If that doesn't really exist yet, then stretching them is really more likely to just cloud their perception of who you are: "I love album X! Wait...album Y is totally different, maybe X was a fluke, oh well moving on..."

Radiohead is a prime example of this. Would they be one of the most well known boundary-pushing bands if they'd come out the gate with Kid A? They might be a much-loved cult band, but nowhere near what their profile has become.

And of course, alternately...if you've already kind of established who you are, and what your audience loves and "gets" about you, then pushing a bit outside that realm might just be a healthy way to avoid listener fatigue. I see acts, bigger prog acts, who seem to try and drop a double or triple album every year or every other year. And they do have a subset of rabid fans...but also there are lots of fans who simply just start tuning out. My personal barometer has always been: if you picked a random song from artist X, could I tell you exactly which of their last 5 albums it was on? Or is it all starting to blur together?

The most important thing though, and at the risk of my "rugged individualistic musical mission statement" creeping in: be honest with yourself. No matter what direction your heart leads, don't always let the audience decide if that's right or not. On some level I guess I believe that, if you truly believe in the music you've made, that it is yours and something in which you feel a deep sense of personal connection and pride...the right audience will find you. And your connection to that audience will be something truly special. Much like I feel about everyone who shared feedback with me here in this thread. It's not big numbers, but it's really amazing and affirming in a very special, personal way.

I hope this helps! It's been kind of a crazy morning (BC binge day) but I didn't want to keep you waiting much longer Have a great day and be as safe as you can

- JB

So, regarding what you should do with compositions. First off: honest disclosure. I'm one of those fringe artists who actually kind of finds the whole "so underground I can see the molten core" notion a tad romantic. The sort of artist who one day appears in one of those "the best act you've never heard of" random articles. Of course, for every one of those articles about a deserving artist there are probably 5 million more who remain in the "never heard of" bucket, including yours truly! As such, I probably shoot myself in the foot more than I help myself when it comes to reaching out to audiences So...I'm kind of trying to step outside myself and be more helpful with my feedback

I think the main question you should ask yourself is, do you have a clear sense of your audience, and do they have a clear sense of you? If you have a core audience who already know and "get" you then stretching them makes sense, because they themselves have a sense of who you are against which to stretch. If that doesn't really exist yet, then stretching them is really more likely to just cloud their perception of who you are: "I love album X! Wait...album Y is totally different, maybe X was a fluke, oh well moving on..."

Radiohead is a prime example of this. Would they be one of the most well known boundary-pushing bands if they'd come out the gate with Kid A? They might be a much-loved cult band, but nowhere near what their profile has become.

And of course, alternately...if you've already kind of established who you are, and what your audience loves and "gets" about you, then pushing a bit outside that realm might just be a healthy way to avoid listener fatigue. I see acts, bigger prog acts, who seem to try and drop a double or triple album every year or every other year. And they do have a subset of rabid fans...but also there are lots of fans who simply just start tuning out. My personal barometer has always been: if you picked a random song from artist X, could I tell you exactly which of their last 5 albums it was on? Or is it all starting to blur together?

The most important thing though, and at the risk of my "rugged individualistic musical mission statement" creeping in: be honest with yourself. No matter what direction your heart leads, don't always let the audience decide if that's right or not. On some level I guess I believe that, if you truly believe in the music you've made, that it is yours and something in which you feel a deep sense of personal connection and pride...the right audience will find you. And your connection to that audience will be something truly special. Much like I feel about everyone who shared feedback with me here in this thread. It's not big numbers, but it's really amazing and affirming in a very special, personal way.

I hope this helps! It's been kind of a crazy morning (BC binge day) but I didn't want to keep you waiting much longer Have a great day and be as safe as you can

- JB
    Thanks so much for this, John.

What you (so eloquently) stated was my hunch based on listening to your music and reading your posts. And my personal bias is towards your way of doing things so I respect you even more.

Trying to be "you" is always easier and more rewarding than trying to be someone else.

You're most welcome