Thread: MFSL to Release 2 LP (45RPM) Fragile Album

MFSL to Release 2 LP (45RPM) Fragile Album

From the MFSL website:
    Pre-order for $125 USD: Luxurious Packaging Includes Opulent Box, Foil-Stamped Jackets, MoFi SuperVinyl LPs Pressed at RTI: Keepsake Edition Strictly Limited to 7,500 Numbered Copies (Limit Two Per Customer)

"I wanted to hear something inspiring." With*Fragile, Yes vocalist Jon Anderson's desire was fulfilled to an extent even he likely couldn't have imagined. The band's breakthrough album marks a number of important firsts not just for the group but for how popular music could be approached. It also represents the all-important debut of keyboardist Rick Wakeman, a complete rethinking of the relationship between classical devices, idyllic fantasies, and traditional structures, and the arrival of progressive rock as a mainstream force.*Fragile*also opened the door to the quintet's long-term partnership with illustrator Roger Dean, whose cover painting and gatefold-sleeve artwork remains as cherished by music lovers as the audiophile-quality production. Neither facet has ever been experienced in finer form as on this collectable set.

Strictly limited to 7,500 numbered copies and pressed on MoFi SuperVinyl at RTI, Mobile Fidelity's ultra-hi-fi UltraDisc One-Step 180g 45RPM 2LP collector's edition presents*Fragile*with exacting sonics and unsurpassed visuals. Prized for decades for its brilliant textures, harmonics, dynamics, colors, and openness, the 1971 album now comes across with surreal transparency, multi-dimensional scope, and seemingly unlimited responsiveness. Such qualities transform the band's recorded instruments into the equivalent of live guitars, basses, drums, and keyboards playing in your room. Critical aural traits – focus, pace, crispness, imaging, balance, depth, weight, scale – bring you face-to-face with the songs' daredevil complexities and emerge in abundance. The distinctive tonal characteristics directly tied to*Fragile*– be it the inimitable bounce of Chris Squire's groundbreaking bass, Anderson's high-register singing, or drummer Bill Bruford's padded snare – flourish. Such is the allure of UD1S and MoFi SuperVinyl.

Developed by NEOTECH and RTI, MoFi SuperVinyl is the most exacting-to-specification vinyl compound ever devised. Analog lovers have never seen (or heard) anything like it. Extraordinarily expensive and extremely painstaking to produce, the special proprietary compound addresses two specific areas of improvement: noise floor reduction and enhanced groove definition. The vinyl composition features a new carbonless dye (hold the disc up to the light and see) and produces the world's quietest surfaces. This high-definition formula also allows for the creation of cleaner grooves that are indistinguishable from the original lacquer. MoFi SuperVinyl provides the closest approximation of what the label's engineers hear in the mastering lab.

The lavish packaging and gorgeous presentation of the UD1S*Fragile*pressing also befit its extremely select status. Housed in a deluxe box, it features special foil-stamped jackets and faithful-to-the-original graphics that illuminate the splendor of the recording. No expense has been spared. Aurally and visually, this UD1S reissue exists as a curatorial artifact meant to be preserved, poured over, touched, and examined. It is made for discerning listeners that prize sound quality and production, and who desire to fully immerse themselves in the art – and everything involved with the album, from the images to the finishes.

Indeed, the minute you remove the shrink wrap from the box, you'll pore over Dean's meticulous science-fiction sketches as you pull the first LP out of its foil-stamped jacket and drop your tonearm into the lead-in grooves. A rising Moog chord serves as the cue, Howe's romantic acoustic-guitar passage functions as the gateway, and the English legends dive into "Roundabout" – a lead-off track for the ages. The hit signaled Yes had evolved into a collective that merged bold ambition, technical virtuosity, and contagious melody in a manner none of its contemporaries managed.

Writer and Yes scholar Bill Martin didn't miss the significance of "Roundabout," which holds the key to unlocking all the adventures that follow on the album. In the liner notes to the record's long-ago deluxe CD reissue, he observes, "All of the Yes elements are here: inventiveness, sweetness, and wistfulness, bright colors that are more Sibelius and Stravinsky than ‘pop,' and not without an edge."

Such combinations of alluring symphonies and jagged drive repeatedly surface on*Fragile, no more obviously than on "South Side of the Sky," an epic about a tragic polar expedition the quintet plays with a riveting intensity, impeccable control, and staggered progression that renders the narrative's otherworldly landscapes in technicolor. Or witness the similarly beloved "Long Distance Runaround," a spring-loaded escapade that in addition to its concision, weds jazz, classical, psychedelic, arena rock, and cerebral aural and literary forms together in a mesmerizing whole.

Fragile*is further boosted by five solo-conceived works – one per member – that double as stitching within the larger group-conceived canvas. Each composition emerges as a showcase for visionary conceptions and staggering performance ability. Squire's "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" stands as an archetypal example of prog prowess as well as a creation that takes the bass guitar into realms still demanding further exploration. Steve Howe's warm, vibrant "Mood for a Day" is its equal, and a guitar workout that dovetails with Wakeman's "Cans and Brahms" – an evocative piano-based adaptation of Brahms'*Symphony No. 4.

Tempting, but it's not difficult (or expensive) to find great-sounding specimens of this album in multiple formats.

Plus, I kind of hate 45 RPM albums.

7,500??! That's an ambitious goal. If they sell more than 1,000 of these I'll be impressed.

Found an error in the lengthy promo copy: it says "A rising Moog chord" opens Roundabout. Actually it is a single chord played on a grand piano and the playback reversed so you hear the chord "decay" up to the point of "attack" and with a tape edit Howe starts his guitar part. All this according to a old Wakeman interview.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Found an error in the lengthy promo copy: it says "A rising Moog chord" opens Roundabout. Actually it is a single chord played on a grand piano and the playback reversed so you hear the chord "decay" up to the point of "attack" and with a tape edit Howe starts his guitar part. All this according to a old Wakeman interview.
    That and the fact that you couln't technically play a chord on a moog.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Chad

about time I was able to get this album on vinyl
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That and the fact that you couln't technically play a chord on a moog.
    Sure you could. A Minimoog has three audio oscillators, each of which can be tuned independently. You can easily set up a patch so that playing one key will produce a triad.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I preordered my copy over a year ago. Supposed to street any day.

Looks very well done but to me it would have to be a major improvement over any other format that I have to get me to pay $125 for it. I like the sound of the LP and CD version I have of this.

they're not going to be able to make any sort of record that has less floor noise than a digital file

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    preserved, poured over, touched, and examined.
    I'm just trying to figure out what people are going to be pouring on it once they've spent $125?

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    they're not going to be able to make any sort of record that has less floor noise than a digital file
    I agree...but have you heard the Super Vinyl aka SRX vinyl compound from RTI? I have. Its the quietest vinyl I've heard. Quieter than the old Japanese JVC vinyl formulation which is pretty much the benchmark that all vinyl is judged against.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I agree...but have you heard the Super Vinyl aka SRX vinyl compound from RTI? I have. Its the quietest vinyl I've heard. Quieter than the old Japanese JVC vinyl formulation which is pretty much the benchmark that all vinyl is judged against.
    i have not! i would be very curious to hear it. generally, a good standard pressing is fine by me - my expectations are different when i put a record on. but i got into record collecting through bargain bin buys so i think i've trained myself to be quite forgiving. for sound quality i'm going for a lossless download of some sort and saving about $100 - i would not trust myself to even hold that record lest i get my evil hand oils all over it.

Does anyone know if this is the same as the 45rpm version of The Yes Album from a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out what people are going to be pouring on it once they've spent $125?
    Tears of regret at being 125 bucks worse off.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    LOL, yeah. "Pore" is so frequently misspelled.

I'm quite happy with the Steven Wilson remix vinyl.
    I have one vinyl release on 45rpm, that's Saga's Sagacity. Sounds great, but it seems like your getting up from your chair to turn the album over every 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 12-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have one vinyl release on 45rpm, that's Saga's Sagacity. Sounds great, but it seems like your getting up from your chair to turn the album over every 10 minutes.
    You are.

I need some sleep....
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I don't mind getting up to flip the record so much as losing the continuity of the original LP side. I think the only reissue I have in this format is Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), which isn't so bad, but I can just imagine how badly the mid-side breaks would spoil, say, Another Green World.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Does anyone know if this is the same as the 45rpm version of The Yes Album from a few years ago?
    It is not. TYA was done by Friday Music not MoFi. Never heard it myself.

"surreal transparency"

Like see-through Dali. Just imagine...

They are playing to their audience! Ever been to a Prog concert and see the line at the Men's Room?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Tempting, but it's not difficult (or expensive) to find great-sounding specimens of this album in multiple formats.

Plus, I kind of hate 45 RPM albums.
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe this will sound better than my UK Plum pressing. But even more so, I'm just good with that pressing. I don't need another. And I still have the original Atlantic I got as a kid - my first record. How many memories are in that record?!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"