Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: Pink Floyd, The Later Years 198)-2019

AAJ Review: Pink Floyd, The Later Years 1989-2019

My review of Pink Floydís 5-CD/5-DVD-6-Blu Ray box set, The Later Years, today at All About Jazz.

On January 10, 1994, Pink Floyd announced its upcoming North American tour in support of what would be its second studio album following the 1984 departure of bassist and band co-founder Roger Waters, The Division Bell (Columbia/EMI), a little more than two months before its release on March 28 of the same year. The first of two 196 foot-long, 67-foot high, 7,000 pound (without the helium) painted airships made a record-breaking, three-week trip from North Carolina to Los Angeles, with the message:

"I am authorized to read this message: You have spotted the Pink Floyd airship. Do not be alarmed. Pink Floyd have sent their airship to North America to deliver a message. The Pink Floyd airship is on its way to a destination where all will be explained upon arrival. Pink Floyd will communicate."

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on a small scale.

According to the band's manager at the time, Steve O'Rourke, in a short video about the promotional event included in Pink Floyd's 18-disc The Later Years box set, two large freight ships were, at the same time, on their way to North America from England. They would be met by 56 tractor trailers, which would transport the stage, sound and group equipment to an undisclosed location, ultimately provided by the US Air Force (later disclosed as Norton Air Force Base in San Bernardino, CA) for two months of development and rehearsals. It was one of the largest hangars in the world, and the Air Force had to empty all the planes before Pink Floyd's production team could move in.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on a small scale.

Plans for the tour began a year earlier in January '93, as the band was working on the album, and just finding a rehearsal space was a challenge. The plans were for an entire stage that would be 200 feet wide (including the two PA towers on either side), housing the 120-foot wide, 80 foot high arch in which the band would perform, including state of the art lighting and a large, rotatable, round screen, located near the top of the arch, for the many 70mm films, created by Storm Thorgerson (aka, with and Aubrey Powell, and later Peter Christopherson, Hipgnosis), that would accompany many of Pink Floyd's songs, old and new.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on less than a grand scale.

Following the three-week promotional tour, where the airship was seen over a number of American cities, it returned to Weeksville, NC, where a sudden and severe storm destroyed the airship on June 27 1994.

Let it never be said that post-Waters Pink Floyd did anything on less than a grand scale.

Continue reading here....
    Last edited by jkelman; 12-08-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Just read your review of Pink Floyd's The Later Years set and once again, it's a detailed & informative piece (and it makes me wish I had the budget to afford this collection). Thanks once again, John, for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Just read your review of Pink Floyd's The Later Years set and once again, it's a detailed & informative piece (and it makes me wish I had the budget to afford this collection). Thanks once again, John, for all your hard work.
    Thanks, man...but, while writing up this and the Giant box back to back over the last two weeks (I am totally shagged!) has been a heckuva lotta work, I really do love doing it. I wouldn’t have it any other way!
    John Kelman

"A Monetary Lapse of Reason": nice freudian slip there John!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    "A Monetary Lapse of Reason": nice freudian slip there John!

Both I and a guy from Australia who's been helping me with editing my stuff before publication since my review of Sid's book (and it's great to have him!) missed it!

YOIKES!! But now fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, even if in a humorous fashion!!!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Thanks, man...but, while writing up this and the Giant box back to back over the last two weeks (I am totally shagged!) has been a heckuva lotta work, I really do love doing it. I wouldnít have it any other way!
    Wow! Excellent review. Now, how do I resist spending money I don't have on this box? Thanks
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Wow! Excellent review. Now, how do I resist spending money I don't have on this box? Thanks
    😂
    Thanks....and, I guess, sorry!
    John Kelman

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I ultimately ended up buying the audio download versions of The Early Years box. The video content of both boxes interests me, but I rarely watch the DVDs I have. Adding more of them would really just be hoarding. Hopefully the audio content of The Later Years will be available for download the same way eventually. What I really want most out of the whole package is the expanded Delicate Sound Of Thunder audio with the complete ‘87 setlist represented. I also want the Atlanta tracks out of nostalgia because I was at that show. I can take or leave the AMLOR remix. Based on the three tracks that have been released the original album mix is better to my ears. The Knebworth stuff isn’t really different enough from what you get on DSOT or P.U.L.S.E. to get me excited for it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Thanks, man...but, while writing up this and the Giant box back to back over the last two weeks (I am totally shagged!) has been a heckuva lotta work, I really do love doing it. I wouldn’t have it any other way!
    You're welcome John. You're recent articles took on two mega-box sets by two of our favorite bands and really did them justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I ultimately ended up buying the audio download versions of The Early Years box. The video content of both boxes interests me, but I rarely watch the DVDs I have. Adding more of them would really just be hoarding. Hopefully the audio content of The Later Years will be available for download the same way eventually. What I really want most out of the whole package is the expanded Delicate Sound Of Thunder audio with the complete Ď87 setlist represented. I also want the Atlanta tracks out of nostalgia because I was at that show. I can take or leave the AMLOR remix. Based on the three tracks that have been released the original album mix is better to my ears. The Knebworth stuff isnít really different enough from what you get on DSOT or P.U.L.S.E. to get me excited for it.
    Are you saying you can buy the box set contents (audio, only) as downloads? Where? I should correct the article to list that. I know you can buy the single-disc version at hdtracks, for example, but you're saying you can buy all the audio content in download-only format?

Please tell me more!
    Thanks!
    John
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    You're welcome John. You're recent articles took on two mega-box sets by two of our favorite bands and really did them justice!
    That's very kind of you to say....add to that all the Crimson coverage, hopefully, and I'm on a roll
    John Kelman

I am getting so tempted by this box, working out ways to justify it

Are you saying you can buy the box set contents (audio, only) as downloads? Where? I should correct the article to list that. I know you can buy the single-disc version at hdtracks, for example, but you're saying you can buy all the audio content in download-only format?

Please tell me more!
    Thanks!
    John
    You can’t yet, but a few months after The Early Years came out you could buy downloads from all of the major download sellers including high resolution from HDTracks. I went with CD quality from 7Digital. Anyway, my hope is that the same will happen with The Later Years because I mainly just want the stuff (Delicate Sound of Thunder and Atlanta tracks) I mentioned and don’t have the space for all that packaging with videos I will rarely watch. I will probably have to wait until Spring 2020 or so if they do downloads.

Fingers crossed that they do it.

PS I love The Early Years except for that useless/pointless remix of Obscured By Clouds.

Both I and a guy from Australia who's been helping me with editing my stuff before publication since my review of Sid's book (and it's great to have him!) missed it!

YOIKES!! But now fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, even if in a humorous fashion!!!

Another minor typo, should you want to correct it: about a quarter of the way down the page, Knebworth is misspelled "Kenbworth".

That's all the further I've gotten into the review so far, but thanks for taking the time to write it up in such detail. I've got one ordered and I'm hoping that A. It arrives soon (the release date is Dec. 14th, right?) and B. My wife will actually let me open it before Christmas.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Another minor typo, should you want to correct it: about a quarter of the way down the page, Knebworth is misspelled "Kenbworth".

That's all the further I've gotten into the review so far, but thanks for taking the time to write it up in such detail. I've got one ordered and I'm hoping that A. It arrives soon (the release date is Dec. 14th, right?) and B. My wife will actually let me open it before Christmas.
    Thanks for that! I wasnít able to find it as someone mentioned Iíd misspelled it..but not how, and looking for one misspell in almost 13,000 words is like the proverbial needle in the...well, you know

So thanks for the catch, and Iíll fix it now. But I still have to be grateful to my friend from Australia, as he helped get it pretty darn close to perfect....if this is the only remaining gaff, Iím pretty happy with it. But I do prefer my articles to be error-free, so always appreciate when folks point out any typos (or factoids, for that matter) they have been overlooked.

Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    You canít yet, but a few months after The Early Years came out you could buy downloads from all of the major download sellers including high resolution from HDTracks. I went with CD quality from 7Digital. Anyway, my hope is that the same will happen with The Later Years because I mainly just want the stuff (Delicate Sound of Thunder and Atlanta tracks) I mentioned and donít have the space for all that packaging with videos I will rarely watch. I will probably have to wait until Spring 2020 or so if they do downloads.

Fingers crossed that they do it.
    That I knew, as I bought them as I wanted the material in high res. But we'll have to see what Sony/Legacy does with this box. Fingers crossed. I've ripped all the blu ray audio now, so have everything that's available in high res (and thus won't have to buy this time), though I'd actually buy the 2cd DSOT if they released that in high res, as all you have in the box is the film and bonus tracks (which really means only one track is missing, Welcome to the Machine, and I'll have to see if i'm anal enough to be prepared to cough up the price of the entire album in high res only for that one track
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    😂
    I feel the same way. John's review really makes me want this thing, but... The price is just not reasonable. In terms of the amount of music and video it is not much different from the KC 1980s box. Which was around $125 IIRC. This one should really be around $150-175. But I guess some people are big enough fans, and you only live once, and all that...

BTW If someone would like the CDs, the book, and either the Blu-ray or the DVD but not both, maybe we could work out a deal? I would pay $100 for the Blu-rays alone. I guess we really should just wait though. If Early Years is any indication, these may well go on sale separately soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I feel the same way. John's review really makes me want this thing, but... The price is just not reasonable. In terms of the amount of music and video it is not much different from the KC 1980s box. Which was around $125 IIRC. This one should really be around $150-175. But I guess some people are big enough fans, and you only live once, and all that...

BTW If someone would like the CDs, the book, and either the Blu-ray or the DVD but not both, maybe we could work out a deal? I would pay $100 for the Blu-rays alone. I guess we really should just wait though. If Early Years is any indication, these may well go on sale separately soon enough...
    In terms of A/V content, I have to agree. However, in terms of printed material, while there's no textual stuff, the 60 page hardcover image/photo book, the multiple tour programmes, the lyric book, etc...those you don't find in the Crimson box sets. Not that I'm knocking the Crimson box sets, which are the litmus test, AFAIC, of value for money (and more).

There's no doubt that the Floyd box is expensive...but if you look at most major label box sets, they are way overpriced when compared to independent labels boxes. Much as I love them, the Beatles box sets have been very expensive when you consider the amount of music in them (though, again, the hardcover books, filled with info, are great and, IMO, make them worth buying). The Zappa box sets too - I'm buying it, but Hot Rats Sessions is very expensive for a mere 6 CDs and some liners. Ditto the Halloween box, which I cannot justify spending on 4 CDs, given the Roxy box is close enough, and you're paying for a bunch of packaging that is really pretty useless (mask and gloves? Really?). Even the Gong box, which is great, sells for $214 (CAD), $150 US (about the same after conversion). 12 CDs, 1 DVD and yes, a hardcover book but less substantial than, say, the Beatles. And much as I buy them, as they're wonderful, beautiful packages, the Dylan Bootleg box sets that have hardcover books? #10, with 4 CDs and the hardcover books? $120. Say what you like about his desire to make money, but the only major label reissues that seem reasonable are the Tulls.

So, I know folks are griping about the cost of the Floyd box...and understandably so. But it's really a major label thing, at least IMO, though there seems to be little rhyme or reason behind the pricing. Beyond Panegyric, which has released the Crimson boxes, but also Yes and XTC SW remixes, take look at what other independents charge and you'll find much better value for money: Steve F's tremendous Art Zoyd box. From ReR you can now pay to get the entire Henry Cow ouevre for a crazy low price. I just replaced my Art Bears box from them for 20 GBP (including shipping!), and that has 6 CDs and a booklet. Madfish/Snapper, who did the Giant, has done the Hillage and Wishbone Ash? Expensive? Yes...but look at what you get...30 CDs give or take, wonderful hardcover coffee table books that could be published independently and command good money...

So, again, I really think the major labels have a lot to do with the exorbitant pricing of their stuff...because they are largely huge names that they believe (and, it seems, they're proven right) can command that kind of money.

Thanks to the poster for the kind words about my review, and I really wish the box were more affordable, truly, to the fans who cannot manage it; it seems unfair that these major label releases are being priced out of the range of the very people that made the bands mega stars in the first place. It will be interesting to see how the Floyd does, sales-wise, but I suspect it'll do just fine. Which only means they'll continue with their heavy pricing, sad to say.
    John Kelman

Ah, meant to add: but as of tomorrow, a lot of the content will be available as download only high res (and, I guess, in compressed formats too, but I rarely look at those). I suspect while they'll be expensive, they'll be more affordable than the hard media editions. So folks who want the main audio content (and audio of the video content too) may find this a better option...as long as they aren't married to hard media.
    John Kelman

https://www.hdtracks.com/catalog/product/view/id/924044

20% off using the code (until the 16th): 20DecHD

Glad to see the download option. Kinda sketch that they didn’t announce the download version alongside the physical box when they are available the same day, but I’m glad the download includes the stuff I wanted.

Thanks for the detailed reply, John. Interesting observation about major-label boxes being much more expensive per disc. You are right, like the various Beatles and Dylan sets. They have the mass-market versions 2cd for around $20 and then the 6-cd versions typically with beautiful book for around $150. While the various KC boxes and the Art Zoyd box were much more reasonable per disc.

With the Floyd the high cost is further compounded by the fact that you must buy both DVD and BR. But if I were a mega-fan I would probably pay it and still be happy (and buy no other music for about eight months!). And there are indeed a lot of Floyd (and Beatle and Dylan) mega-fans who are doing just that.

Thanks for the detailed reply, John. Interesting observation about major-label boxes being much more expensive per disc. You are right, like the various Beatles and Dylan sets. They have the mass-market versions 2cd for around $20 and then the 6-cd versions typically with beautiful book for around $150. While the various KC boxes and the Art Zoyd box were much more reasonable per disc.
    Just one a addition: cost per disc isn’t my only measure; if, like the Beatles and Dylan boxes, they come with wonderful and (especially in the case of the Beatles, information-rich) hardcover/coffee table books, that can also tip the scales for me. In fact, as great as the printed content is, had the Floyd box contained a second coffee table book with, say, a new essay, Gilmour & Mason interviews, new assessments of the music decades later, etc, I’d have been less inclined to call it an overpriced box.

With the Floyd the high cost is further compounded by the fact that you must buy both DVD and BR. But if I were a mega-fan I would probably pay it and still be happy (and buy no other music for about eight months!). And there are indeed a lot of Floyd (and Beatle and Dylan) mega-fans who are doing just that.
    And you can count me as one of them (). I didn’t have to buy the Later Years, but I did cough up for the Floyd Early Years box. And for me, Dylan and The Beatles are amongst a select group for whom I’m pretty much in with anything they release (and am looking forward to next year’s Let It Be remix/deluxe box already!)...
    John Kelman

Now I think I know why the Later Years box is so expensive... From an interview with DG discussing Storm Thorgersen's work:

Gilmour talks about the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1987 album A Momentary Lapse Of Reason and describes how it all came together.

He says: “I drew a picture of a room with a window and a bed which was empty, a bedside table with a picture frame on it with nothing in it, and I said to Storm, ‘I’m thinking something about this line from a song: ‘The vision of an empty bed,’ and showed him this picture.

He said, ‘Yeah, OK, but how about we have 500 empty beds?’ And I said, ‘Show me.’”

The shoot would take place at Saunton Sands in Devon, with Gilmour adding that it “took an massive amount of work and time” involving “hundreds of people” who had to constantly move the beds to avoid the incoming tide.