Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rather interviews Jon Anderson

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

^^ Give it a rest, Bozo. You're out of your league.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Give it a rest, Bozo. You're out of your league.

In the book “When the News Went Live” about the media coverage of JFKs assassination, it was told that Rather was thrown out of the newsroom by Eddie Barker for falsely reporting embellished information . It’s a great book actually about the reporters scurrying to cover a national tragedy. Highly recommended.

The instance is question is referenced here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...33%3f_amp=true

Dan Rather: "Jon, I'd like to go over some of your lyrics if I may;
    "Mountains come out of the sky...and they... stand there"
    Can you explain to me (and our audience)… what else would they do?"

I have enjoyed all of Rather's interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    What are you going on about? All I asked for is a credible reference for your allegations concerning Dan Rather so that I might be better informed. Anyway, congratulations on reading such a big book! Any other responses on my part will unfortunately violate forum rules on both political discussion and general decorum. Therefore I recommend you go back to doing what you do best and make another few dozen posts to the latest Yes thread.
    I thought this was the latest Yes thread?

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    OK, boomer.
    That tag is played out....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    That tag is played out....
    And wasn't much of a tag to start with.

I really enjoyed this interview. An interesting comment from Jon about trust and (I am paraphrasing here) "trusting people to promise to make new music". My assumption was that was aimed at either Trevor Rabin or Rick Wakeman (or both) since he was discussing the two versions of Yes at the time. Jon did not get too cosmic except when Dan asked him if he believed in god. Also cool news that Jon is writing a memoir. Anyway, I dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Any other responses on my part will unfortunately violate forum rules on both political discussion and general decorum.
    And as both of you have been previously temp banned, this is a good creed to live by.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-12-2019 at 06:41 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I really enjoyed this interview.
    I thought it was "ok". I have seen at least a dozen of Rather's interviews and this one seemed fairly uninformed to me. Perhaps it's because I know more about Yes history than some of the artists from other interviews I have seen. It was still nice to get some back story and I certainly learned some things I didn't know.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I really enjoyed Dan Rather's interview with Jon Anderson on AXS TV (all we need now is for Rather to interview Robert Fripp).

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Dan Rather: "Jon, I'd like to go over some of your lyrics if I may;
    "Mountains come out of the sky...and they... stand there"
    Can you explain to me (and our audience)… what else would they do?"

I have enjoyed all of Rather's interviews.
    I missed the interview and have love for Jon. This is how I envision he'd answer the above question.

Jon: You are speaking linearly. On a linear plane, mountains come out of the earth, not the sky. On a non-linear plane, which is a dimension just as relevant, mountains do the opposite and do not have to simply stand. They most definitely may be moved, and may even frolick like a deer that plays into time. Time is what it's about and what everything is actually about. It will all be clear in time. Time is time. There is a dimension where time is no longer relevant. Your heart will reveal what your linear mind cannot.

I thought it was really enjoyable. Jon did manage to not get too cosmic. Learned more about him than I'd ever known (working on a farm, working at a bar above the Marquee Club). I think my only complaint about the questions was when he asked about writing OOALH.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I think my only complaint about the questions was when he asked about writing OOALH.
    That's to be expected. I suspect Tales was never brought up.

For anyone who missed it, it will be on several more times.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I missed the interview and have love for Jon. This is how I envision he'd answer the above question.

Jon: You are speaking linearly. On a linear plane, mountains come out of the earth, not the sky. On a non-linear plane, which is a dimension just as relevant, mountains do the opposite and do not have to simply stand. They most definitely may be moved, and may even frolick like a deer that plays into time. Time is what it's about and what everything is actually about. It will all be clear in time. Time is time. There is a dimension where time is no longer relevant. Your heart will reveal what your linear mind cannot.
    He did explain the "mountains come out of the sky and they stand there" lyric at one point in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's to be expected. I suspect Tales was never brought up.

For anyone who missed it, it will be on several more times.
    I don't remember him specifically talking about "Tales", but he did talk about the track "Awaken" being one of his proudest achievements.

I don't remember him specifically talking about "Tales", but he did talk about the track "Awaken" being one of his proudest achievements.
    I meant brought up by Rather

He did explain the "mountains come out of the sky and they stand there" lyric at one point in the interview.
    I would be curious. So far I've only seen the teaser trailer.

Enjoyable interview. One thing I took away was it seemed that Jon asked Steve Howe recently to play on the 1000 hands album which I find strange because I didn't think they were even on speaking terms anymore.

I always thought he should have asked Nixon, "No sir, are you running from something?"

Banned
    Imagine that, politics inserted once again in a Jon Anderson/Dan Rather interview thread. From what I have seen of it the interview has been informative and insightful. The only thing that I don't like about Rather interviews is his over-dramatic posing when asking the questions. It is as if he is trying to steal the substance of the exchange before the response is given; he wants to be part of the answer. He can't shake the role he played when on the nightly news ~ when he was the news.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Imagine that, politics inserted once again in a Jon Anderson/Dan Rather interview thread. From what I have seen of it the interview has been informative and insightful. The only thing that I don't like about Rather interviews is his over-dramatic posing when asking the questions. It is as if he is trying to steal the substance of the exchange before the response is given; he wants to be part of the answer. He can't shake the role he played when on the nightly news ~ when he was the news.
    You're a big boy. You can handle it. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I take it as just trying to connect with the artist in a personal way. I thought his interview with Geddy was very well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I take it as just trying to connect with the artist in a personal way. I thought his interview with Geddy was very well done.
    So did I. Thoroughly enjoyed the different style Rather brought, and I heard Ged talk about things I had never heard before as a result.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***