Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rather interviews Jon Anderson

Dan Rather interviews Jon Anderson

Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Thanks
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

I hope Dan can keep him "on track" and "on point"......or at least "on THIS planet!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

He doesn't sound too spacey. I like that.

I've seen several of Dan's interviews.. this should be interesting..

Thanks for sharing the news Firth. This should be interesting and I'll be watching.

I DVR Rather's interviews every week. This should be a good one.

The Big Interview is an excellent show. Dan Rather asks interesting, sometimes difficult questions and really listens to the interviewees. Looking forward to this episode!
    Amazon Marketplace - http://www.amazon.com/shops/A3UJ306B3ZDWF4
    Many hard to find CDs (mostly prog)

I guess Rather's on a 70's rock kick as he also interviewed the band America recently.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I guess Rather's on a 70's rock kick as he also interviewed the band America recently.
    And of course he recently interviewed Geddy Lee.

Also, I watched that clip above and I have a feeling DR -- although I'm sure he's a fan -- will not let JA just spout off some airy-fairy nonsense without being held accountable like most fan boy interviewers do. THAT I'm looking forward to.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 12-08-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't believe any of Jon's discussion of the seventh dimension will have made the final cut. ;-)

I've only seen him with Kansas and I expected a far more intelligent interview. Many of his questions were crap and I've not watched him again.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    He's done quite a few 60s/70s era rock artists: Steve Miller, Carlos Santana, Greg Allman, Robert Plant, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee, Phil Collins, Ann & Nancy Wilson, Peter Frampton, Bob Weir, Boz Scaggs, Steve Perry, Ringo, Rod Stewart, CSN, and in members of the Doors, Styx, Kansas, REO, Foreigner, Chicago, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, among others. What I find interesting is he's a country music listener but does his research on the various rock artists.

His interview with Robert Plant was excellent. Among other things, he got Robert to talk about the death of his son Karac and how he and his wife Maureen dealt with that immense tragedy. I wasn't really expecting that. Dan Rather knows how to conduct an interview and asks well thought out questions, or at least he did in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I've only seen him with Kansas and I expected a far more intelligent interview. Many of his questions were crap and I've not watched him again.
    While I wouldn't call his questions crap, I do find his interviews terribly uninformed and superficial. While some might call that refreshing, I'd like to think that the audience would want something more probing and relevant to the music and career.

Gotta know your audience.
    Orange is the new stupid.

I give the guy a bit of a break, hell he is almost 90 years old. I have really enjoyed the whole “Big Interview” series. True, Dan is not always super informed on the subjects he is interviewing, but I think for the most part he asks good questions. Dan has always been a fan of more traditional country, bluegrass, roots music and when artists lean more that direction you can see his eyes light up. I think most of the interviews have been quite good, and he has certainly pulled out some artists, actors, personalities that I never would have expected to be on a show like that. Rather has led a pretty interesting life. I read his book "The Camera Never Blinks" years ago and have thought about going back and re-visiting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    While I wouldn't call his questions crap, I do find his interviews terribly uninformed and superficial. While some might call that refreshing, I'd like to think that the audience would want something more probing and relevant to the music and career.
    I think you can still get a good interview out of someone who's not an expert on the person being interviewed. They may start with the superficial but it's the follow-ups that can lead to some interesting exchanges.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

As a former reporter, he is well informed. But he is not a fan, that shows. I've seen a few of his interviews, for me the one with Steve Perry stands out.

Rather's show is totally the opposite to the "Life on the Road" hosted by Brian Johnson. Brian is also a rock musician and asks questions he knows the other artist has a lot to say in his answer. Brian also will hop on a motorcycle or speeding car like he did with Billy Joel and Nick Mason, Rather will NOT.

Speaking of Geddy Lee also interviewed), wouldn't it be nice to have a collaboration between Geddy and Jon Anderson? Now that would be a great question for Jon!

I have tremendous respect for and admiration of Dan Rather. He's a legend.

But, I also understand that you need to know your audience. And I personally feel that, while parts of these interviews can be interesting from a human standpoint, as a fan (and part of the assumed audience), I consider a good portion of the interviews as missed opportunities.
    Orange is the new stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I have tremendous respect for and admiration of Dan Rather. He's a legend. .
    Those who have worked for him are far less impressed.

I hope Jon goes all wigged-out hippie on him. I want to see the look of bewildered disbelief on Rather's face before his eyes cross and roll back into his head.

Banned
    I wonder if Mr. Rather read up Jon's lyrics for the interview - that might make for some interesting questions, and I bet he has good answers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Those who have worked for him are far less impressed.
    I never heard that, but I'd be interested in any references you might have. He was a real reporter who paid his dues, many dangerous assignments and IMO he did his job with a great deal of integrity. He got fired for being duped/set-up on sources although the story was essentially correct. Sad and undeserved ending.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I hope Jon goes all wigged-out hippie on him. I want to see the look of bewildered disbelief on Rather's face before his eyes cross and roll back into his head.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.