Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: French Prog listening project

I am completely stupefied by the tons of great rock music that France produced particularly in the period 1969-1985. I thought I had a clue, but checking the names mentioned here made me realize my ignorance.

I think France is seriously underrated as a country of progressive rock music. Its contribution is definitely no less than Germany's, and I would say it has a wider scope and a more eclectic character than Krautrock, where you know what to expect (more or less). We were discussing this with Spacefreak during a drinking session, and he correctly pointed that the French singing mostly in their own language confined the music's influence to a narrower audience. Also the fact that lots of this stuff hasn't been properly re-issued.

I also asked him which one and only French album he would salvage in case of an immediate catastrophe. I was expecting to hear the word Magma, but his answer was Ange - Au dela du delire and Art Zoyd - Phase IV. Fair enough. I would pick Kohntarkosz.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Oh to be in sunny Greece, drinking and talking French prog rock!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Buddhabreath's Rescued from Oblivion album from the 80's. The critics are raving (raving mad that is).
    Do you have what it take to survive I Can't Stand My Own Mind? Hint: smoke something strong first...