Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: French Prog listening project

Marcoeur and Magma are my fav French artists (along with Ravel, Debussy, Messiaen)

A few of my top favorites from France missing from the list above:

Ghost Rhythms - Madeleine in particular, though Live at Yoshiwara is great too
    Masal - Any of their three albums
    Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrieme Mouvement
    Rahmann - S/T

Some other good ones include Edition Speciale (both), Priam's Diffraction, and all of Yang's albums.

For my money, I get more out of the Weidorje and Eider Stellaire than Magma, just ever got into those vocals. Never been such a big fan of Pulsar, Ange, or Heldon either. I also vastly prefer Atoll's Tertio to their other two albums. So my top medals would go to vastly different bands. But there's plenty of quality stuff from France to appeal to wide tastes.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Best current prog from France:

PoiL
    PinioL
    In Love With
    Different projects by Theo Ceccaldi
    Yolk
    Magma (they are still relevant!)
    Setna
    Guillaume Perret & The Electric Epic
    That's a pretty damn fine list.

Rhun
    Jean Louis
    Scherzoo
    Caillou
    Unit Wail
    Akish Stabat
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ghost Rhythms isnt even mentioned and thats the best of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    You should very wild and heavy jazzy rock with Ethiopian vocals.

Like it. The vocals really stand out - very unique since I haven't had much exposure to too much African music.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post

Clearlight Symphony is an all-time classic though .
    Forever Blowing Bubbles is great too but doesn't get mentioned as much as Symphony.

The OP had MDK at the top. Great choice but for Magma I'd have Hhai Live at the top.

I agree with those praising Atoll and Ange against the negative comments. Two great bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post

I agree with those praising Atoll and Ange against the negative comments. Two great bands.
    I kind of agree that most French Symph rock doesn't move me that much... Someone said "a bit amateur" and it's ringing something true to my ears

my list of albums (one per artiste - or almost) in no particular order, but my absolute faves are in italics

Lard Free Gilbert Artman's Lard Free
    Magma Hhai / Live
    Plat du Jour - Plat du Jour
    Ripaille - La Vieille que l'On Brula
    Setna - Guerison
    Vak - Budo

Aquaserge - Deja Vous!
    Art Zoyd - Generation Sans Futur
    Dn - Eros
    Eskaton - 4 Visions
    Flamen Dialis - Symptome-Dei
    Forgas Band Phenomena - L'Axe Du Fou / Axis of Madness
    Melmoth – La Devanture des Ivresses
    Hedayat, Dashiell - Obsolete

Magma - Magma (AKA Kobaia)
    NeBeLNeST - NeBeLNeST
    Perret, Guillaume - Guillaume Perret & The Electric Epic
    Scherzoo - 03
    Setna - Cycle I
    Vortex - Vortex
    Abus Dangereux - Le Quatrieme Mouvement
    Alco Frisbass - Alco Frisbass
    Ame Son - Catalyse
    Art Zoyd - Symphonie Pour Le Jour Ou Bruleront Les Cits
    Asia Minor - Between Flesh and Divine
    Romain Baret - Naissance de l'Horizon
    Bise de Buse - Joue sa Musique
    Booz, Emmanuel - Dans Quel Etat J'Erre
    Clearlight - Clearlight Symphony

Bubbling under (amongst dozens)
    Potemkine - Triton
    Ribeiro, Catherine & Alpes Paix
    Speed Limit - Speed Limit
    Taal - Mister Green
    Triode - On N'a Pas Fini d'Avoir Tout Vu
    Troisieme Rive - Banlieues
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 12:27 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm diving in merely to give a nod to great music from France, from then until RIGHT NOW.

It's amazing what a small investment in the arts will pay off with.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Old man of prog
    ALCEST could be my favorite record of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    ALCEST could be my favorite record of the year.
    Is Alcest not dark Shoegaze?

Love to see all the obscure band names, and obscure they will remain, sadly...
    A few more names that have appealed to me.
    Cafiene
    Taal
    Nil
    Syrinx
    Lord of Mushrooms
    Venturia
    Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Like it. The vocals really stand out - very unique since I haven't had much exposure to too much African music.
    Basically this is very revved up Ethiopian 70s pop music. If you like this sort of vocalizing, a wonderful world of Ethiopian music from the 70s awaits you!!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 1 Week Ago at 02:50 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    ... and my "top" list also included a tittle from ANGE, but I'm not convinced that that their crappy sound, poor production and (technically) amateurish play is a deliberate artistic aesthetic choice. Atoll is just passable (at best) but when they are trying to play jazz-rock/fusion they become pathetic since they obviously don't have the chops.
    To describe Ange in this manner and to summarily dismiss Atoll repeatedly casts doubts on your open mindedness as a French Prog listening project publisher. It's your prerogative to not like them but to paint widely respected bands like this in such pejorative terms is akin to killing ants with sledgehammers. If you don't like them leave them off the medal list as opposed to listing them as you did, then take cheap shots at them with terms such as amateurish, crappy, just passable and pathetic. Bands that fit those descriptions don't deserve medals of any kind.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Great lists. Love, love, love the French scene. IMO they bring a unique atmosphere, charm, humor and wit to the table. Now there's a few new things I need to investigate if I ever find the time.

Maybe I scanned the list too quickly in an effort to catch-up, but I didn't see Pascal Comelade ...and I would add Didier Bocquet (because Cerebral Voyage is a personal favorite)
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 1 Week Ago at 12:48 PM.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Buddhabreath's Rescued from Oblivion album from the 80's. The critics are raving (raving mad that is).
    Do you have what it take to survive I Can't Stand My Own Mind? Hint: smoke something strong first...

Lots and lots and lots of good stuff

I missed those in my Posts:

Vannier - L'Enfant...
    Manset - Le Mort d'Orion
    Albert Marcoeur - almost everything he did
    Pascal Duffard

Really awesome albums

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Ange's strength is not only in the music, but also in the overall magic conveyed by the lyrics and the theatrical aspect. Of course, some part of that magic is lost when one doesn't understand the lyrics (although some of them are quite surrealistic and thus not meant to be strictly understood).
    The rather primitive sound of the first records can be off-putting, but it also contributes to the archaic / surrealistic atmosphere of the experience. IMHO of course.
    All very well said, and yes, understanding some of the lyrics helps (what one would make out of a song like Si j'etais le Messie if he didn't understand French?). What I find a complete misreading of Ange's music is to directly compare it to the British Prog bands (Genesis in particular) and to deem it as something inferior. There is a defining element in Ange which is totally unique, anarchic, surreal, "dirty" and typically French in my opinion. Flowers in the mud, which explains the necessity of the "bad" sound. Yes, the music is close to early Genesis aesthetics (the theatrical factor) , but it is clear to me that they reached there following their own way and no one else.

An absolutely inimitable band for me, one that belongs to the pantheon of progressive-rock.

Eclat
    Minimum Vital

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Plat du Jour kills!

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Yes never heard of Plat du Jour - quirky great stuff. Thanks for posting this wonderful obsurity!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Buddhabreath's Rescued from Oblivion album from the 80's. The critics are raving (raving mad that is).
    Do you have what it take to survive I Can't Stand My Own Mind? Hint: smoke something strong first...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Lard Free Gilbert Artman's Lard Free
    Troisieme Rive - Banlieues
    You not on the PoiL / ni / Piniol / Chromb / etc bandwagon?
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Eclat
    Minimum Vital
    Thank you sir, I'm astonished that it took 42 posts for the brothers Payssan to be mentioned. MV are one of my very favorite bands.

Jean-Luc Ponty is number one on my list of French progressive musicians.

In the 90s Alambic made two fine albums,
    SHob is a new bassplayer to keep an eye and ear on.

One of my fave countries for progressive rock music.

The "classic/symph" bands were hit and miss, perhaps - but I have a soft spot for Ange (first bulk of albums), Carpe Diem, Atoll (L'Araigne Mal), some Mona Lisa and some Pulsar. And there were lesser/second-tier obscurities who made some solid stuff, like Metabolisme, Pentacle, Ripaille, Troisieme Riv and so on. But sure, there were also banalities like Orion, Synopsis and the likes.

French vintage post-psych progressive had a lot to offer as well, like Alice, Triangle, Nyl, Vannier, Coeur Magique, G. Manset and Ame Son.

However, what made the whole thing swing was the avant-garde dinglyding. Whether the early efforts of Catherine Ribeiro/Alpes, Lard Free, Igor Wakhevitch and the ensuing zeuhl scene following Magma, or the monstrosity of exploration emerging in the latter half of the 70s; Potemkine, Eskaton, Vortex, Dn, Pataphonie, Flamen Dialis, Plat du Jour, Jean-Paul Prat, Rahman, Forgas (Cocktail), Eider Stellaire, Bise de Buse, Netra, Albert Marcoeur, Etron Fou Leloublan, Art Zoyd and so on and on... There was an abundance of insane creativity going on.

Which is also the case with French acts today. Original and fresh flesh.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Marcoeur and Magma are my fav French artists (along with Ravel, Debussy, Messiaen)
    Right on. I dont know Ravel as well as I should but agree with the others to which Id add Valentin Clastrier.

If you dont know him, hes a composer/ hurdy gurdy player. His work just drives me nuts, as a comparison his melodic language is similar to Fred Frith but, Id say, further out perhaps.
    His albums are pretty hard to track down but if you can find Heresie then youre on to a winner.

Im a big Etron Fou Leloublan/ Ferdinand Richard fan too but, in all honesty, dont listen to them with the same appetite I used to in the 90s