Thread: Clapton sits in with Hawkwind

Clapton sits in with Hawkwind

I was not aware of the connection Eric had with Hawkwind.

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapt...wind-guildford

Quote Originally Posted by ProgFan View Post
    I was not aware of the connection Eric had with Hawkwind.

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapt...wind-guildford
    I always wondered if Clapton talking about his friendship with Dave led Ginger Baker to briefly jump aboard the Hawkwind ship in the late 1970's and early 1980's- it seemed an unlikely musical interest for Ginger, but I guess you never know. Could have been a paycheck gig I suppose.

Anyway, I enjoyed the footage more than I thought I would.

Clapton and Brock have been friends for decades, yes. I didn't know Clapton and John Wetton were also good friends until the latter's death.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    it seemed an unlikely musical interest for Ginger, but I guess you never know. Could have been a paycheck gig I suppose.
    It was. Claims have been made that Baker tried to bring in Jack Bruce.

Has Clapton done anything where he's been more out of his element? I guess Cream at their most psych is sort of in the ballpark, but that was over 50 years ago!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He was in Roger Waters' band for his Pros And Cons... tour.

I suppose there was also that period in the late 60s, playing with various John Lennon-led bands. Yoko Ono was in full-on wailing mode.

There's a couple chapters on Baker's time in Hawkwind in The Saga Of Hawkwind book by Carol Clerk. Excellent read. According to everyone, Ginger tried to poach Brock to form a new group possibly with Bruce. Brock sided with his band and Baker got fired, admitting he messed up. I saw Ginger Baker claim he only did Hawkwind for the money and never got paid while doing press for his documentary.

I've heard that Baker demanded the band sack Harvey Bainbridge and replace him with Jack Bruce, and his hook was slung as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    I always wondered if Clapton talking about his friendship with Dave led Ginger Baker to briefly jump aboard the Hawkwind ship in the late 1970's and early 1980's- it seemed an unlikely musical interest for Ginger, but I guess you never know. Could have been a paycheck gig I suppose.
    THe story I always heard was that Huw-Lloyd Langton's wife worked for Ginge in some capacity, and that was how he was brought in. They were apparently having trouble with Simon King. I actually got to meet Huw a couple years before his death, when he played here in Cleveland (on a bill with Nektar and Brainticket!) and he said something to the effect that "Simon couldn't handle things like Space Chase".

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I've heard that Baker demanded the band sack Harvey Bainbridge and replace him with Jack Bruce, and his hook was slung as a result.
    Just as well: even if Ginger had pulled it off, I suspect Jack would have been even more unfulfilled by the surroundings than he was.

Meanwhile, I have always criticized Slowhand for his lack of adventurousness throughout his career, it would be silly to crap all over him for doing something this different this late in his life (and obviously just for fun)... it is not a great match, but good on him for giving it a go with glee.

Brock and Clapton first started playing guitar with each other in their early teens. Must be a good friendship at this point in their lives.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"