Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Steve Hackett News!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    When I saw Hackett in... 2016 I think?, I kept waiting in anticipation for 'Blood On The Rooftops' as he'd played it on the European leg of the tour, and... he didn't play it! And on the last Genesis tour, Tony really wanted to play it but Mike didn't want to, of course the guitar would be a challenge... Would be a beautiful thing live!
    It's so long ago, but I suspect Blood On The Rooftops was played when I saw Genesis on that tour in the 1970s. Would have been so great seeing Steve (or the modern Genesis) play it. TMB's version was stunning. Really the highlight of the show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

When I saw Hackett in... 2016 I think?, I kept waiting in anticipation for 'Blood On The Rooftops' as he'd played it on the European leg of the tour, and... he didn't play it! And on the last Genesis tour, Tony really wanted to play it but Mike didn't want to, of course the guitar would be a challenge... Would be a beautiful thing live!
    Wow, I never knew that! That would have been quite the deep cut for them to pull out at that stage. Nice that they at least brought back Ripples, but Blood On The Rooftops would have been even better IMO. Do you happen to recall the source of that info? I'd love to hear/read it if so.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's so long ago, but I suspect Blood On The Rooftops was played when I saw Genesis on that tour in the 1970s.
    I don't think Genesis ever played it live. But they should have. See also 'Many Too Many' and 'Snowbound'.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, I never knew that! That would have been quite the deep cut for them to pull out at that stage. Nice that they at least brought back Ripples, but Blood On The Rooftops would have been even better IMO. Do you happen to recall the source of that info? I'd love to hear/read it if so.
    It was a Banks interview I know. Seems to me it was a relatively recent interview, within the last year or so. I remember in the interview he said he really wanted to do 'Blood..' but since Mike said no, he suggested Ripples and Mike agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I have a boot from Zurich '77 and I wanna say there were other songs.. Here's the set list for Philly..

March 8, 1977
    The Spectrum
    Philadelphia, PA
    USA
    Taper: Lostbrook

01 Squonk (7:05)
    02 One For The Vine (11:18)
    03 Robbery, Assault, And Battery (7:13)
    04 Your Own Special Way (7:14)
    05 Firth Of Fifth (8:57)
    06 The Carpet Crawlers (6:47)
    07 In That Quiet Earth (4:35)
    08 Afterglow (4:27)
    09 I Know What I Like (9:16)
    10 Eleventh Earl Of Mar (9:37)
    11 Supper's Ready (23:28)
    12 Dance On A Volcano (5:11)
    13 Los Endos (5:37)
    14 The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/The Musical Box (7:48)
    Same exact order as when I saw them in Seattle that year.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't think Genesis ever played it live. But they should have. See also 'Many Too Many' and 'Snowbound'.
    They didn't.

I am really glad that Hackett has been flying the pre-pop Genesis flag for a few years now. I've seen him live twice and have all the recent concert videos including the one just released with a full orchestra. Stellar performances of the material with some of his solo music included. Does anyone know if Tony, Phil or Mike have commented on these tours and releases? Also, I wonder if Steve has ever reached out to them to do a guest appearance at any of his shows. Seeing how well received this has been, it's odd that they haven't commented (to my knowledge).

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    I forgot I used to have that boot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMfIKgs0HI&t=1s
    Here you go..

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoknows View Post
    I am really glad that Hackett has been flying the pre-pop Genesis flag for a few years now. I've seen him live twice and have all the recent concert videos including the one just released with a full orchestra. Stellar performances of the material with some of his solo music included. Does anyone know if Tony, Phil or Mike have commented on these tours and releases? Also, I wonder if Steve has ever reached out to them to do a guest appearance at any of his shows. Seeing how well received this has been, it's odd that they haven't commented (to my knowledge).
    If you've seen the BBC documentary, you've got all your answers in there. The Genesis Revisited project isn't even acknowledged, nor would Banks, Rutherford or Collins condescend to saying a nice word about it, let alone attend a show. That's petty and sad. Steve is doing their musical legacy proud with this project, and I'm 100% sure that a reunion of the classic line-up at this point would not compare favourably with it.
    Last edited by calyx; 1 Week Ago at 07:51 PM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

^ I think you can take that to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    If you've seen the BBC documentary, you've got all your answers in there. The Genesis Revisited project isn't even acknowledged, nor would Banks, Rutherford or Collins condescend to saying a nice word about it, let alone attend a show. That's petty and sad. Steve is doing their musical legacy proud with this project, and I'm 100% sure that a reformation of the classic line-up at this point would not compare favourably with it.
    Steve is the MAN, as much as I have loved and lived on Genesis music over the years, really it is an insult to me as a fan the way the OTHER 3 treat Genesis. Such disrespect for the true fan, it's despicable

If you've seen the BBC documentary, you've got all your answers in there. The Genesis Revisited project isn't even acknowledged, nor would Banks, Rutherford or Collins condescend to saying a nice word about it, let alone attend a show. That's petty and sad. Steve is doing their musical legacy proud with this project, and I'm 100% sure that a reunion of the classic line-up at this point would not compare favourably with it.
    I did see the documentary and recall nothing being said there but after this length of time and the continued success of what Hackett has been doing, I was just curious whether anything had been said post the BBC history. It is sad that they cannot seem to acknowledge their past nor at a minimum comment on how well these performances are.

Funny how they give their blessings to the Genesis Tribute band Musical Box and not a former band member eh?

Comments about tracks never played live by Genesis or Hackett's GR got my attention here. One of my all time favorite songs is the stunningly beautiful Seven Stones. I know it was performed once in Italy, 1972, but to my knowledge, never since. And Hackett too has passed on this one. I wonder why? I also don't get it why Steve has skipped most everything from Trespass? Well I do understand he played on the live version of The Knife , but he did perform Stagnation with the band and on the 76' tour White Mountain, although he had yet to join the band until after Trespass. IMO Robert Fripp has also passed on several pieces of interest since re-inventing King Crimson again. Pieces like I Talk To The Wind, In The Wake Of Poseidon and more. What are these guys waiting for, surprises at the very final GR and KC shows? Go figure?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Yes there are great classic tracks Steve isn't playing - thankfully we have bands like The Musical Box doing some of them. Just last month I saw them do "Stagnation", "Looking For Someone", "Can-Utility And The Coastliners", and last year they did "Seven Stones" and "Time Table". (This year they even played one post-1977 track - "Down And Out").
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

Wasn't it always the case that Daryl Stuermer played guitar on all of the pre-ATTWT songs and bass on the newer ones and that Mike did the reverse? In that case, I think Daryl would've been given the guitar slot for Blood on the Rooftops had they chosen to perform it.

Does anyone know if Tony, Phil or Mike have commented on these tours and releases? Also, I wonder if Steve has ever reached out to them to do a guest appearance at any of his shows. Seeing how well received this has been, it's odd that they haven't commented (to my knowledge).
    Rutherford said he'd 'rather do something new' (Hackett has 'done something new' alongside the Genesis Revisited touring, obviously that passed Rutherford by!).

https://www.genesisfan.net/mike-and-...-the-mechanics

I doubt Collins or Banks would have a problem with it.

Years ago I said 'Seven Stones' would be a neat inclusion in the set, but I remember Rufus on here saying only 'fanboys' wanted to hear that.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 05:31 AM.

Hacket is having a real renaissance, I've bought my ticket for next year's show already (almost sold out within 24 hours) it's a far cry from back in the 90s, when I would regularly watch him playing to a handful of people.

The one thing that I would love Hackett to do is play some 'And Then There Were Three' songs. I'd love to hear what it would have sounded like with him on guitar. If there's ever an album in need of a remix / reinterpretation it's that one.

I also wonder how Banks must feel with Steve effectively having the final word on classic Genesis and being the keeper of the flame.

Banks = One stubborn twat.
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Wasn't it always the case that Daryl Stuermer played guitar on all of the pre-ATTWT songs and bass on the newer ones and that Mike did the reverse? In that case, I think Daryl would've been given the guitar slot for Blood on the Rooftops had they chosen to perform it.
    Yes, I think that Rutherford only plays guitar on anything from ATTWT and beyond. He's not the most accomplished guitarist and I would have rather seen Stuermer cover all the tunes and keep Rutherford on bass (and some of his twelve string rhythms on the double neck).
    Last edited by hewhoknows; 1 Week Ago at 07:14 PM.

Yes, I think that Rutherford only plays guitar on anything from ATTWT and beyond. He's not the most accomplished guitarist and I would have rather seen Stuemer cover all the tunes and keep Rutherford on bass (and some of his twelve string rhythms on the double neck).
    I don't know, I kind of think Mike's limited ability on some of thost TTWT and beyond songs, gave them a nice touch. Of course I'd much rather have had Steve still with Genesis then, but that never happened.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's so long ago, but I suspect Blood On The Rooftops was played when I saw Genesis on that tour in the 1970s. Would have been so great seeing Steve (or the modern Genesis) play it. TMB's version was stunning. Really the highlight of the show.
    Genesis never played this Steve/Phil classic... Mad Mad Moon as well. Two big live hole's to these ears... Having said that I did meet Tony at the NEC in Birmingham in 98 and I told him I'd literally just flown in with my brother from San Francisco To catch the CAS tour. I told him I'd not missed a Genesis tour since my first in 76. Anyway he seemed impressed I'd flown in all that way to see the show. We made small talk and I told him he was my favorite writer in the band. He thanked me. I than asked if they ever considered playing Mad Mad Moon over the years, I told him it was my favorite Genesis tune... he looked up from signing an autograph for someone else standing there and said... no we never did that one was kind of perfect the way it was. I had the sense that he personally was so satisfied with the way MMM came out that he did not want to try and perform it live... my take anyway.
    Last edited by rich; 1 Week Ago at 12:22 AM.

Yes, I think that Rutherford only plays guitar on anything from ATTWT and beyond. He's not the most accomplished guitarist and I would have rather seen Stuemer cover all the tunes and keep Rutherford on bass (and some of his twelve string rhythms on the double neck).
    That is definitely the case. Mike has never played a Steve lead. He is a great bass player and song writer, a very good rhythm guitar player but not a natural lead player. Clearly the biggest short coming in the 3 man era. They still wrote some great tunes but no great lead work. Seek out Mike playing the Firth Of Fifth lead a few years ago... quite embarrassing. It's on Youtube. It's the only time I know of he tried a lead from the 4/5 man era. Having said that check out a few tunes he let Daryl play on from the 3 man era, The Lady Lies and Jesus He Knows me come to mind... blistering. Abacab was so good live, that's one that would have been amazing live if he would have stuck to the bass. Daryl would have killed that... just my two cents.

On the other hand, Mike's guitar work on Smallcreep's Day and Duke is sublime. He's no Steve Hackett, but what he did on those two releases is still a triumph in its own (special) way.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    We've been enjoying revisiting some of the classic Genesis albums the last several weekends. Trespass, Nursery Crimes Foxtrot and Sunday it was Selling England.
    In listening to them, and I have hundreds of times over the years, something really struck me and that is how MUCH Steve Hackett made up the Genesis sound.
    Having seen him in concert several times and most recently the Wolflight tour and watching all the DVD's since the Genesis revisited stuff came out, I've always been a fan but I have a deeper appreciation for him more than ever before.

My primary focus when these albums were released was of course Peter and since I love synths, Tony Banks. But Steve's resurrection of the Genesis music has made me realize how under recognized he has been for his contribution to those PG/Genesis albums.
    While listening I would focus on his parts, and how his style and sound gave the music the grit and power that kicked up a couple of layers. Imagine the music without Steve's guitar parts and I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

And if we look at the history of Genesis post Steve Hackett it's even more clear how much he was missed.
    Of course the direction greatly changed when Phil's solo career skyrocketed, and the whole dynamics of the band changed.

Also, it's funny the RS article says there are no North American dates planned as yet, but about a month ago his tickets went on sale here in Clearwater for a spring 2020 date.
    Excellent post, and reflects my sentiments very well. In high school, when I wanted guitars I listened to Yes or Crimson, and Genesis for the stories and their unique power which didn't seem to rely on guitar as much. However, I've also been doing a deep dive into the 70-77 albums, and for the better part of a year. It really is a stunning body of work, and I totally agree that SH is an equal part of that with TB or any other member. If this tour comes near me at all, I'll make my best effort to attend.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

It appears that the Seconds Out & More tour will begin in November of 2020. UK dates are posted.