Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richard Dawson - 2020

Started his early career on Hogans Heros

Wrong RD

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And he famously kissed every female contestant on the lips.
    beat me to it

good thing he's dead or the 'me toos' woulda roasted his butt
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Different times different standards

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I must say I am totally stunned by this brand, new record of mr Richard Dawson. I had listened rather epidermic-ally to his previous LP Peasant and found it a good, folky record but not something exceptional (perhaps I need to revisit now...). His latest work 2020 is a totally outstanding compilation of beautiful, relevant, original songs that suggest a huge talent behind them. Hard to describe mr Dawson's music, the basis is some weird folk-rock which is close to the weird, American indie bands of previous decade, but full of wit and Englishness. There is a definite experimental edge on each of the songs, bizarre rhythms, dissonance - yet keeping it all simple at the end of it. Sad and happy at the same time, uncompromising and unconventional, the spirit of Dawson's music invokes to my ears guys like Robert Wyatt or Roy Harper if anything else. But definitely this fellow has overcome the "agony of influence" huge way.

Is it Prog? Hell yeah, for my own definition of the word. What else could it be?

Any people have listened to it yet? And if not, people with an inclination towards weird, creative music, mend your ways soon and buy this!
    I got it now and very glad i did. It doesn't figure as prog to me, but who cares - though Wyatt is a good point of reference, as in a different way is Richard Thompson. These songs are important and real (and funny, and touching). I live in Britain in 2020 and this is what it's like. I mean I'm not young, I'm not poor, I'm spared much of the worst of it - but anyone connected to what is actually happening in the UK should be able to pick up on this.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I got it now and very glad i did. It doesn't figure as prog to me, but who cares - though Wyatt is a good point of reference, as in a different way is Richard Thompson. These songs are important and real (and funny, and touching). I live in Britain in 2020 and this is what it's like. I mean I'm not young, I'm not poor, I'm spared much of the worst of it - but anyone connected to what is actually happening in the UK should be able to pick up on this.
    I think the album is about all the anxieties of every day modern life of the common man. In this case it is set in the UK but it might as well be the whole of Europe. As a Dutchie I have no problem to connect with these songs. I love it! (and it makes me cry too)

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think the album is about all the anxieties of every day modern life of the common man. In this case it is set in the UK but it might as well be the whole of Europe. As a Dutchie I have no problem to connect with these songs. I love it! (and it makes me cry too)
    While the album is British to the core in its references...yes, I totally agree with you. Maybe it has to do with the globalization process - more or less the problems are the same for all Western (in the cultural sense) countries.

It is indeed a very moving album. Hilarious and sad at the same time - which is the mark of the great artist for me.

^ ^^ I didn’t mean to imply that the music is parochial. If the songs are good then they must speak more widely - and I’m sure it’s right that these stories will resonate in most Western countries.

I did want to highlight though how grounded in a very recognisable version of Britain they are, and how they are written in a specifically British (in fact English, in fact North Eastern English) idiom. This is a thing I like about them; a song that feels as though it could have been written by anybody living anywhere at any time can still be a good song, but it can’t really hit that flinty note of truth about the way people live in the same way. Dawson is all about that.

Having mentioned Wyatt and Thompson as references, another one occurs: Billy Bragg.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 01-21-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ^ ^^ I didn’t mean to imply that the music is parochial. If the songs are good then they must speak more widely - and I’m sure it’s right that these stories will resonate in most Western countries.

I did want to highlight though how grounded in a very recognisable version of Britain they are, and how they are written in a specifically British (in fact English, in fact North Eastern English) idiom. This is a thing I like about them; a song that feels as though it could have been written by anybody living anywhere at any time can still be a good song, but it can’t really hit that flinty note of truth about the way people live in the same way. Dawson is all about that.

Having mentioned Wyatt and Thompson as references, another one occurs: Billy Bragg.
    I confirm all this, and one thing doesn't exclude the other.

It's funny how this guy, after a record full of twists and surprises, comes with a song like Dead Dog In An Alleyway at the end of it. Which is not so much in the spirit of the rest of it, being unequivocally grim. This song sealed the masterpiece status of 2020 for me.

Unfortunately Richard Dawson is gradually - and I believe irreversibly - going blind, so whoever has the chance to catch him performing should hurry to do so.

What a wonderful album. In some ways it's just straightahead songs - but what straightahead songs! Music with deceptive sophistication underlying its apparent simplicity - enough sophistication to satisfy an unreconstructed prog fan, for repeated listenings. Lyrics without apparent verbal fanciness, no elaborate images or surreal flights, just plainly-told short stories set to music - but great, expressive short stories with first-rate characterization.

A question: Dawson sings in an identifiable British regional accent, with occasional "Beatles" pronunciations. What part of England is that accent from?
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-26-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    A question: Dawson sings in an identifiable British regional accent, with occasional "Beatles" pronunciations. What part of England is that accent from?
    North-Eastern England, subset Newcastle-upon-Tyne - colloquially, Geordie. Beatles are North-Western England, subset Liverpool - colloquially, Scouse. An English ear finds those vowels quite distinct - but these nuances are I think difficult for non-natives to pick up on.

Bandcamp Profile

I haven't heard this but I love very English/British music so I'm in. Gotta sneak it in between the Canterbury, Cow, Krautrock, and bits of Rush. But I'll do it.

Finally giving this album the attention it deserves. I think it’s lovely. I really liked his previous album, Peasant, but this one has got under my skin more profoundly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Finally giving this album the attention it deserves. I think it’s lovely. I really liked his previous album, Peasant, but this one has got under my skin more profoundly.
    I knew you'd like it. I think it succeeds simultaneously at catching the spirit of times and conversing with the greats of the past.

I am totally enjoying the new Richard Dawson album called 'Henki' at the moment. Very different from what he has done before. Probably his most 'proggy' album to date.

https://richardmichaeldawson.bandcamp.com/album/henki

I am totally enjoying the new Richard Dawson album called 'Henki' at the moment. Very different from what he has done before. Probably his most 'proggy' album to date.

It's a co-creation with Finnish experimental rock band Circle. And yes it is quite good.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

In my top 3 of 2021, another outstanding album - and yes, stylistically completely different to his past works. A song like the closer The Pitcher is explicitly referencing 70's prog rock. This guy is just an incredibly gifted singer/songwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It's a co-creation with Finnish experimental rock band Circle. And yes it is quite good.
    This stands to continue, apparently - according to Jussi "Richard Dawson is now our lead singer".

That's from a very good interview piece in The Quietus:

https://thequietus.com/articles/3085...wson-interview

Bandcamp Profile

we've got the top 7 answers to who Richard Dawson is.....

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    we've got the top 7 answers to who Richard Dawson is.....
    Um... what?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Started his early career on Hogans Heros
    Yes indeed, Peter Newkirk will live on courtesy of Hogan's Heroes... a Bing Cosby Production! RIP Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Um... what?
    Edit: The Family Food. Corrected from a different game show.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 12-07-2021 at 10:24 AM.

It's bloody great. Played it three times today!

Bought Henki myself. Good album, and sounds exactly like what it is - a Scandinavian band playing psych, with a British folkie singing.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-18-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Gonna have to check this out tomorrow! Sounds intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk