Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richard Dawson - 2020

Richard Dawson - 2020

I must say I am totally stunned by this brand, new record of mr Richard Dawson. I had listened rather epidermic-ally to his previous LP Peasant and found it a good, folky record but not something exceptional (perhaps I need to revisit now...). His latest work 2020 is a totally outstanding compilation of beautiful, relevant, original songs that suggest a huge talent behind them. Hard to describe mr Dawson's music, the basis is some weird folk-rock which is close to the weird, American indie bands of previous decade, but full of wit and Englishness. There is a definite experimental edge on each of the songs, bizarre rhythms, dissonance - yet keeping it all simple at the end of it. Sad and happy at the same time, uncompromising and unconventional, the spirit of Dawson's music invokes to my ears guys like Robert Wyatt or Roy Harper if anything else. But definitely this fellow has overcome the "agony of influence" huge way.

Is it Prog? Hell yeah, for my own definition of the word. What else could it be?

Any people have listened to it yet? And if not, people with an inclination towards weird, creative music, mend your ways soon and buy this!
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 11-25-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Somewhere, a pinky ring just got its wings.

Since you did not provide a link:
    https://richardmichaeldawson.bandcamp.com/album/2020

No listener to Dawson’s earlier music has ever discerned a lack of artistic ambition. Whether they got on at the last stop - the 4 track Tyneside-Trout-Mask-through a-Vic and Bob-filter of Nothing Important - or earlier in the journe...
    I HATE when things are described as "Beefheartian" when they bear no resemblance to Captain Beefheart. They're just recorded oddly.

Apparently not the famous stalwart celebrity that worked the Match Game on TV during the 70's & 80's here in the US. 😉

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Apparently not the famous stalwart celebrity that worked the Match Game on TV during the 70's & 80's here in the US.
    Nor our own Michael Dawson, a.k.a. Mister Triscuits, a.k.a. Biffy The Elephant Shrew.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-25-2019 at 05:22 PM.

...or the famous atheist Richard Dawkins who doesn't make albums and never appeared on Hogan's Heroes.

Richard Dawson may also refer to:

Richard Dawson (died 1766), Irish MP
    Richard Dawson (British Army officer) (died c. 1800), soldier and administrator
    Richard Dawson (1762–1807), Irish MP
    Richard Thomas Dawson, 2nd Baron Cremorne (1788–1827), Irish MP and peer
    Richard Dawson, 1st Earl of Dartrey (1817–1897), Anglo-Irish Liberal, and later Liberal Unionist, politician
    Richard Dawson (racehorse trainer) (1865–1955), owner and trainer of racehorses
    Richard Dawson (1855–1923), Irish barrister and Conservative Party politician
    Richard Dawson (footballer, born 1960) (born 1960), English professional footballer
    Richard Dawson (footballer, born 1962) (born 1962), English professional footballer
    Richard Dawson (footballer, born 1967) (born 1967), English professional footballer
    Richard Dawson (cricketer) (born 1980), English cricketer

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    ...or the famous atheist Richard Dawkins who doesn't make albums and never appeared on Hogan's Heroes.
    For an atheist, this guy sure sings a lot of Jesus songs.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-25-2019 at 06:31 PM.

the game show host who died in 2012?

He hosted Family Feud from 1976 to 1985

He also played Newkirk on Hogan's Heroes, one of my favorite sitcoms.

Just found out about this - that being the Richard Dawson mentioned by the OP, not the actor or anyone else. If you'd like to listen to it:

https://richardmichaeldawson.bandcamp.com/album/2020

or to watch it:

I'm listening to it now. Very good - imagine a folkie/indie-rocker who'd listened to a lot of Gentle Giant. Weirdly intricate, with vaguely medieval vocal melodies, and a voice halfway between Derek Shulman and Phil Shulman. Not terribly technical playing - all vocals and instruments are by Dawson himself - but solid. It's been highly praised in the music press, though most of that praise focuses on the lyrics, which seem to consist primarily of musical short stories, about various hapless Britons caught in the gears of The Age Of Brexit.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-18-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Hmmm. Don't hear much Gentle Giant. Reminds me more of Roy Harper.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hmmm. Don't hear much Gentle Giant. Reminds me more of Roy Harper.
    Some tracks do sound like them, just not the ones in the videos.

Thanks John for reviving this. Top 3 album of the year for me. A record that definitely deserves to be listened by progressive ears.
    I was also reminded of Roy Harper, Robert Wyatt, early Genesis Peter Gabriel. But really it is a very fresh and original take, intricate and approachable at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Survey SAYS?
    Hats off......

Great art rock album, in the best Robert Wyatt tradition. On my annual top list.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

And he famously kissed every female contestant on the lips.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Survey SAYS....
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love it, especially the lyrics.

My favorite is the one of a guy who sees an UFO on an Aldi car park, gets totally obsessed and sees his whole life fall apart as a result.

Its funny and very sad at the same time. In fact this applies to all of the tunes on this album.

i'm on the fence with it...while i found some of it catchy, a lot of it i found kind of grating, and garage-band...it's mostly his voice; he sounds like a more raw version of the Everything Everything singer and maybe that's the other way around but to me it's not really polished and i suppose that's what he's going for too...it's a good enough "indie" release.

True, it's not really polished. RD's voice sounds like the bloke next door singing in the shower; his ability on the guitar may be solid and musical, but it certainly isn't flashy; and he's not more than a serviceable player of bass or drums or synth. But that may be part of the point. Even though his music has quite a bit of understated sophistication, his lyrics are the stories of a dozen or so British Everymen, and told in their own voices. They sound like someone talking to you in a pub, and that might be exactly what Dawson is aiming for.

Here's another video, just out.