Thread: G.E. Smith advice to young aspiring musicians..

G.E. Smith advice to young aspiring musicians..

I always liked the years he was on SNL. I've watched a dozen of these short clips on Youtube this week.. this one popped up this morning..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqqbARxsOOM

I see his point. However, I know some musicians who used Youtube to build a following and bypass the major label machine. Once they had a following, they used Patreon to supplement the income they get from touring, music sales, and Youtube views. This guy is a good example of this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/200000028

For sure the 'old way' of approaching a music career has become almost impossible unless you are very lucky but the 'new way' of using YouTube, other social media and Patreon is working for quite a lot of new artists.

I remember his SNL era. Good player, but all that mugging he did...

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Agreed. The whole "Now I employ my authentic-blues-face while jamming back to back with our pork-pie hat wearing sax player" schtick used to make my stomach turn.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Is he still playing in Roger Waters band?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    "..... with our pork-pie hat wearing sax player"
    Probably Lenny Pickett, who knows a bit about schtick himself:

I watched recent SNL for a while before learning that Alex Foster, who had been the sax player in Jack DeJohnette's band in the 70's, also has been playing there along with Lenny for some time.
    Last edited by pb2015; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:20 PM.

I watched recent SNL for a while before learning that Alex Foster, who had been the sax player in Jack DeJonette's band in the 70's, also has been playing there along with Lenny for some time.
    I could be wrong on this, but I think Foster might even be the musical director now.

I remember when he was in Hall And Oates' back up band during the first half of the 80's. That's him playing the solos on Private Eyes, Family Man (the only tolerable part of that song), Method Of Modern Love, etc, as well as the feedback intro on Did It In A Minute.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember when he was in Hall And Oates' back up band during the first half of the 80's. That's him playing the solos on Private Eyes, Family Man (the only tolerable part of that song), Method Of Modern Love, etc, as well as the feedback intro on Did It In A Minute.
    Here's his best Hall and Oates performance.

I remember an old SNL Xmas clip where someone makes a boo boo, and Smith had this awful look come over his face, and I've disliked him ever since.