Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nektar - The Other Side (2020) Cherry Red Rec./Esoteric Antenna (New Studio Allbum)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Got my disc yesterday! Nice gold autographs. Thanks, Nektar!
    Got my poster today!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Do you mean the vocal mix was bad or you didn't like the singers? I'm OK with Ryche Chlanda, and I think at least one of the female backup singers has been with Nektar for a while.
    The singers. Chlanda was the best of them and he wasn't bad on Recycled, which I feel is one of their most challenging songs vocally. But on most everything else he just didn't have it. The two women background singers were not very good, period.

STILLJZ

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    The singers. Chlanda was the best of them and he wasn't bad on Recycled, which I feel is one of their most challenging songs vocally. But on most everything else he just didn't have it. The two women background singers were not very good, period.
    I agree Chlanda is not a strong singer. But after seeing them at Progstock and NYC I thought they got the job done. Far from the original band in their prime, but with so many tribute bands around these days seeing Nektar with Mo is a real treat. The new album is very good. I hope that they keep going for a while.

I think the new release is quite strong. I think at times Chlanda sounds exactly like Roye in his higher registers on parts of Recycled, on the new album. There is some nice new chemistry in the band, besides the lifers, previous incarnates, and talented new addition, they should be able to earn your business live.

Loved some of the messages back and forth from this side to the Other side (and back?) and I thought the vocals were very good.
    Sounds like the beginning of a lot of tours. I'll buy tickets if they can make it out West regardless of any reviews anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    I'll buy tickets if they can make it out West regardless of any reviews anyways.
    Not sure where Oakland is in relation to Aptos, CA. but there is currently a performance scheduled here: Mon, JUN 8
    Yoshi's Oakland
    Oakland, CA

Scott
    https://radiospiral.net

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    Not sure where Oakland is in relation to Aptos, CA. but there is currently a performance scheduled here: Mon, JUN 8
    Yoshi's Oakland
    Oakland, CA

Scott
    https://radiospiral.net
    Great news. I'll be at Yoshi's this Wednesday to see Daryl Steurmer. Aptos is near Santa Cruz, which is roughly 2 hours south of Berkeley, with traffic.
    I'll buy the album at the gig June 8. Thanks for the heads up.

That's tickets! Great to hear they burst out West

Ooooh. Gotta see this. Yoshi's is like 15 min from my house!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

That is a local show for me too, as my girlfriend lives in the East Bay. A little Nektar and sushi would be great.

I saw that on another thread they have Nektar listed as a contributor to the Sea Prog festival from June 4th to June 6th in Seattle.

Thanks for getting the band out west, Mo!

Good show Saturday night! Saw them for the first time. Lots of 12 string and chords. The band is not muddy sounding but I think the vocalist is mixed even with everyone else so its hard to make out the lyrics. Something-something "tab in the ocean" but it was fun-very enjoyable and you don't get a light show like that at a jazz gig!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looking forward to tomorrow night's show here in town at the Iron Horse. Hope to pick up the new album on vinyl and hoping they bring copies of the 5-disc Live 74-76 box! Will not be an inexpensive night but I'll be saving on gas as I live about 6 miles away from the venue!

Great show at the Middle East. The original rhythm section was a joy to hear and made the loss of Roye more bearable-- Mo and Randy Dembo did double basses on about half the set, a mighty sound indeed. They did a nice dedication to Roye as well. To my mind the new (or semi-old) singer did well, and Ron and Mo did a lot of the singing too. We missed Mick Brockett who was down with the flu. Setlist was surprising in some ways-- lots of new stuff (three sides of the double album) and certain older things you'd think were essential were dropped. Still a solid two-hour show, it definitely had the sense of a band rededicating itself.

Merch selection included a few different T-shirts, album cover prints, many reissue CD's (including the live box Rick is after) and colored vinyl reissues of all the vintage albums through Magic is a Child. Only things you apparently can't get are the previous reunion era albums, save for the covers one.
    Last edited by bRETT; 02-10-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks for the review Brett!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Looking forward to tomorrow night's show here in town at the Iron Horse.
    So how was the performance? I will be seeing them in Cleveland, OH. on Feb. 26th, and at my Brothers Theatre (Hamburg Palace : http://www.hamburgpalace.com ) on Sat Feb. 22nd.

Scott
    http://radiospiral.net

I enjoyed Tuesday night’s show although I would have preferred a bit less of the new material (not having familiarized myself with the new LP which I picked up at the show along with the Live box). The band had another flu casualty in the backup vocals dept. which left some vocal parts uncovered but that was no biggy.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Why 2 bassists? Better to have a rhythm guitar or something.
    He also plays six-string guitar.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Why 2 bassists? Better to have a rhythm guitar or something.
    You bite your tongue, lol. There should be 3 basses. And no, the fact that I am a bassist has nothing to do with this post!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    You bite your tongue, lol. There should be 3 basses. And no, the fact that I am a bassist has nothing to do with this post!

neil
    Never enough bass, or bass players!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Never enough bass, or bass players!
    Or bass solos!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Or bass solos!
    Truth (as long as there's no slapping involved).

Fantastic show in Detroit last night. Got to meet both Mo and Mick after the show which was cool. I will write a more detailed review when I get some time. If this tour is coming to your town, go see it!

I had a ticket for tonight but could not attend. You see, I live nearly an hour and a half away from the venue, and tonight we got hit with a major snowstorm. I tried to go, but after roughly 20 miles, I had to turn back.
    If memory serves, this is the 2nd time I've missed seeing Nektar due to a winter storm, because these guys always seem to tour during the winter. That's a good way to have smaller, local turnouts than you might otherwise have. Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I had a ticket for tonight but could not attend. You see, I live nearly an hour and a half away from the venue, and tonight we got hit with a major snowstorm. I tried to go, but after roughly 20 miles, I had to turn back.
    If memory serves, this is the 2nd time I've missed seeing Nektar due to a winter storm, because these guys always seem to tour during the winter. That's a good way to have smaller, local turnouts than you might otherwise have. Smh.
    The Detroit show was a two hour drive for me. Going there was no problem, but driving back home was a bitch. Major snow and ice on the highway. I did not get home until 3:30AM, but I made it.