Thread: New Who single: I Don't Wanna Get Wise

New Who single: I Don't Wanna Get Wise

Surprisingly good, actually. Roger sounds great here:

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Surprisingly good, actually. Roger sounds great here:

His voice is strong.. thanks for posting

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes, sounds decent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    This aging Who fan thinks it's very good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm holding off listening to the singles and will wait for the album release. Not like they'll get overplayed, but I want to go in cold.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    This aging Who fan thinks it's very good.
    Hey we are all ageing Who fans round here, but from one to another, I agree it’s a pretty decent late career Who song and Roger sounds very good

MOR AOR. Good MOR AOR, but that's what it is.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^The same was true of most everything else they've released post-Keith Moon, IMHO. But as you say that's not to say it can't be good on those terms.

I hope I'm not hearing what I think I'm hearing on the lead vocals (autotune...not the backing vocals, which are obviously 'treated'). Nevertheless, I think the songs heard thus far do have a bit more spark than Endless Wire.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-25-2019 at 01:55 PM.

I am hoping this one is better than "Endless Wire" which I was very disappointed with. So far I am liking what I am hearing from this one.

Weakest (and thankfully shortest) of the three songs presented to us, so far (I found Ball and Chain excellent)

The 80's drum-machine like start of the track is surely almost an insult to Moon The Loon, IMHO

the album will be out on Dec 6th in continental europe.
    Last edited by Trane; 11-30-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    I'm holding off listening to the singles and will wait for the album release. Not like they'll get overplayed, but I want to go in cold.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    That's how I feel too, but I have a feeling I'm going to give in to the temptation before the weekends out

Soooo any returns for the new Who album??

I took the CD version with the 3 bonus tracks (one of which is excellent)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've listened only once, and it was indeed a little AOR/MOR-ish, but by damn it's more energetic than Endless Wire. Roger's in excellent voice, Pete's guitar playing is exactly what it needs to be, and ... hurdy-gurdy?

I like it.

Haven't heard the boni track yet.

Well I’ve only payed it twice but I agree with reviews that says it is there best for many a year, and frankly it is more than I expected at this advanced stage of their lives and career. There are some subtle nods to past glories, including Baba O’Reilly synth patterns, and some interesting self-referential lyrics. I think it will be an album I get quite a lot out of as the months progress.

I read a comment that said it was their 12th studio album, which seems incredible for a band that had been around almost as long as rock music, is that correct? I seem to have way more than a dozen in my collection, but there are a lot of compilations I guess.

^I think 12 is right. (13 if you count Odds And Sods which was a leftovers collection from several years.)

The thing to bear in mind is that they were relative latecomers to recording. The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks etc. all had albums/singles under their belt before 'I Can't Explain' came out. (There was one flop High Numbers single before this, but that's it.)

There are a lot of 60s/70s non-album tracks though, and reissues have had tons of unreleased-at-the-time songs- much more than any of their peers. Also a few live albums have subsequently come out from their time with Keith Moon. Isle Of Wight, Fillmore, Hull etc.

gonna pass on this one for now. from listening to the samples, Pete is trying to capture the sound and energy of The Who in the 60's.
    but the writing is just not there. i liked the last album a lot, but these new songs just seem rushed through the writing/recording process.

Further musings...take a look at the tracklist of this. There are certain periods where you could compile an entire album of songs not on albums at the time.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Who-Maxi...lease/11079235

The US-only Magic Bus:The Who On Tour is another you could technically include in the tally of studio albums, but it's murky because it has things that had already been released.

It comes to a total stand-still after It's Hard until 'Real Good Looking Boy'. I think between 1982 and 2004, there were only a couple of studio tracks recorded and none are on that box.

Yes, The Who's back catalogue is a mess! New album was at Number 1 in the UK midweeks though, which was very surprising:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-chart-update/

The album has been spinning constantly in the car since Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Well I’ve only payed it twice but I agree with reviews that says it is there best for many a year, and frankly it is more than I expected at this advanced stage of their lives and career. There are some subtle nods to past glories, including Baba O’Reilly synth patterns, and some interesting self-referential lyrics. I think it will be an album I get quite a lot out of as the months progress.
    One thing I liked is that Townsend lets Daltrey sing on all tracks the main role, leaving himself the bonus tracks.
    I also like Gun Missfire as a bonus track, but the next is a 60's demo that was modernized

However, I would say that one facet of the band is not featured: the sheer musical brillance.
    I'd have loved more space for instrumental interplay, which might've also made the songs longer.
    I mean sure, The Ox & Loon are not there anymore, but Paladino and Starkey (unfortunately not present enough, IMHO) have almost the right footsize to fit the two vacant pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The US-only Magic Bus:The Who On Tour is another you could technically include in the tally of studio albums, but it's murky because it has things that had already been released.
    Plus the fact that talking about the Who canon and counting only studio albums means you ignore one of their most iconic releases, Live at Leeds.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Complicating things a bit, there was a UK-only LP released at roughly the same time, Direct Hits from the Who, which contained four of the same songs: "Bucket T", "Call me Lightning", "Pictures of Lily", and Entwistle's "Doctor, Doctor". Among the rest are "In the City" (as far as I know, the only Entwistle/Moon collaboration and one of Moon's rare writing credits) and the first "Dogs", a novelty song about greyhound racing. (The second, "Dogs Part II", was a lovely semi-instrumental silliness found on the B-side of "Pinball Wizard", and credited to Moon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    However, I would say that one facet of the band is not featured: the sheer musical brillance.
    I'd have loved more space for instrumental interplay, which might've also made the songs longer.
    Interesting. Probably my biggest complaint is that some of the songs outwear their welcome: they have room for that interplay, but it just isn't there.

Maybe live...

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Complicating things a bit, there was a UK-only LP released at roughly the same time, Direct Hits from the Who, which contained four of the same songs: "Bucket T", "Call me Lightning", "Pictures of Lily", and Entwistle's "Doctor, Doctor". Among the rest are "In the City" (as far as I know, the only Entwistle/Moon collaboration and one of Moon's rare writing credits) and the first "Dogs", a novelty song about greyhound racing. (The second, "Dogs Part II", was a lovely semi-instrumental silliness found on the B-side of "Pinball Wizard", and credited to Moon.)
    I used to have that LP! It also contained an alternate version of "Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands," with an electronic tremolo effect on the words sha-a-a-aky hands and an extra verse ("I wave at Linda/I wave at Jean").
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^That would have been the US B side version I think.

http://www.45cat.com/record/32206

Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy was a far better collection but had alternate versions of some of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd have said that always came out more on the live albums (perhaps why Leeds is some people's favourite Who album). The studio albums were always more tightly arranged, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Interesting. Probably my biggest complaint is that some of the songs outwear their welcome: they have room for that interplay, but it just isn't there.

Maybe live...
    Eeehh!!!... None of the tracks are over 5 minutes, so outwearing its welcome is relatively hard to achieve,, though it's clear that there are a few weaker songs that I'd like not present to make space fo(r instrumentall passages like in Baba Fooled Again, WAY or Reign On Me (for ex)

I'd have said that always came out more on the live albums (perhaps why Leeds is some people's favourite Who album). The studio albums were always more tightly arranged, IMHO.
    Point taken, but the essential Who trilogy Tommy, Next and Quad had plenty of those space.

Rogers voice is good - the music doesn't sound much like The Who I liked.

No Moon or wild bass, no interplay that sounds like the could go 'crazy' any moment.

Probably better pop/rock than most, but not my thing.