Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Prog and vocals?

Banned
    Originally Posted by Buddhabreath
    I would prefer Rush with someone other than Geddy Lee doing the vocals as well,
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Don't get me wrong Geddy is an awesome musician and performer and technically he knows how to sing IMO, I just personally don't care for his voice much. I get that people very much disagree with that. If it were, say Steve Walsh doing the singing I would probably listen to Rush more often.

In some instances, I don't mind a program vocalist pitch being off. For example, Peter Nichols of IQ. From the first album, be greatly improved; kwever, it didn't matter. What was more important was the presentation, the character. Same goes with Fish. I will always prefer Fish to Hogarth who, although has an amazing voice (and I love Season's End), whatever he is singing, just sounds to me, at least, that It is just thrown into the music soundscape. You can say the same about Fish, but his lyrics, presentation, are great.

Nobody is perfect and having perfect vocal pitch on every note, especially when you are creating the melody, is difficult.

But wow, Steve Walsh and Freddie Mercury had great vocal chops. George Michael, Michael Jackson, Ann Wilson,

John Wetton developed into a great lead vocalist, same with Phil Collins. Love Rick Emmitts vox.

To me, the most important thing is do the vocals and lyrics fit the song? But yeah, there are unlistenable prog, especially from the 1980's when albums and CDs were homegrown.

Still love Geddy screeching up until Moving Picture than the crooner version.

Hearing Jon sing Heart of the Sunrise live on the first ARW tour, perhaps for the last time for me was one of the most beautiful, peaceful moments of my life. His vocals can bring tears to my eyes.

What do you guys think of these vocals?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ben Folds just came out with a new autobiography. He has a chapter where he talks about his style of singing. He says there are two types of signers. There are the "Singers(TM)" who people here probably would describe as Steve Walsh, Freddie Mercury, Annie Haslem, Steve Perry, etc... and then there are "Non-Singing Singers" who Ben Folds falls into that category, as well as prog guys like David Gilmour, Andy Latimer, Steven Wilson, David Cousins, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Laughed so hard I cried.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Laughed so hard I cried.
    I lost it around the "Eat a dot" point.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I lost it around the "Eat a dot" point.
    Me too but I heard "Eat a Dog" and that was it for me...

In the Flower Kings, Hasse is an excellent vocalist, but an OK guitarist. Roine is an excellent guitarist, but an OK vocalist.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have a musician-friend whose main complaint about J. Anderson's 1000 Hands is that Jon sings over the whole thing. He doesn't allow the band/session players any room to shine even for a moment. He says he wishes that Jon would just shut up long enough for him to hear the music. And this is a guy who loves Yes and saw them live in 1971 when they toured the States with Tull!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I love the music, but the vocals I can't stand

The music is great, if I could only get past the vocals

So if you care, comment on this.

My only comment is, that my favorite bands over the last 20+ years include:
    Ozric Tenticles
    My Sleeping Karma
    Vespero
    Korai Orom
    Zone Six
    God is an Astronaut
    Ole Lukkoye
    Maserati
    Papir
    The Spacious Mind
    Causa Sui
    Salvatore
    Bosch's with You
    Circle
    The Cosmic Dead
    Dead Sea Apes
    Follakzoid
    Polska Radio One
    Pyschic Ills
    Radar Men from the Moon

I like all the classic prog voices, but tons of stuff from the 90s to now has just awful vocals. Literally flat, sharp and so bad. I'd say that over the last decade, at least, 'prog' has fallen into this lifeless, flat, wet production style. Competent musicianship, cliche metal riffs and these awful vocals buried in the mix. IMHO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    (On Cruise to the Edge a few years ago, someone was interviewing the band Electric Asturias, and said... "I see that you've chosen not to have vocals. How is that working out for you?" ...as if he felt that vocals are somehow obligated).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This is yet another point, as the interviewer here obviously isn't even aware - or doesn't quite acknowledge - that a significant percentage of progressive artists throughout the years have expressed themselves without vocals. In other words; either he doesn't know or he doesn't care - which is about equally sad.
    Is it possible that the other version of the band (that is I think more acoustic) DOES have vocals, so he was asking how the newer version without vocals was doing? I think the other version is just called Asturias.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    2. Even some bands that can write good tunes often have vocalists that are either just plain bad or lack emotion in their delivery. Examples that spring to mind are Camel, Caravan, King Crimson, ELP...

It is absolutely no coincidence that the "big" prog bands are the ones with good tunes and proper vocalists who can hit all the notes but also crucially know how to deliver a performance, viz. Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Marillion, Rush, Jethro Tull
    Canterbury bands such as Caravan (and I'd include Camel as a Canterbury band for this purpose since Camel's vocals aren't that dissimilar to the other Canterbury bands, especially when Richard Sinclair was the vocalist) are known for having a "matter-of-fact" style to their vocals. I think it's what they were going for.

Also, do you feel that John Wetton and Greg Lake sang with less emotion than Geddy Lee, or that they were "just plain bad?"

Bad progressive rock singers: Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed (and Nico), Tom Waits, John Lydon, Fred Schneider, Nick Cave, Shane McGowan, Axl Rose, Joey Ramone, Bob Weir...

I guess I'm not understanding the original poster's position.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    My only comment is, that my favorite bands over the last 20+ years include:
    Ozric Tenticles
    My Sleeping Karma
    Vespero
    Korai Orom
    Zone Six
    God is an Astronaut
    Ole Lukkoye
    Maserati
    Papir
    The Spacious Mind
    Causa Sui
    Salvatore
    Bosch's with You
    Circle
    The Cosmic Dead
    Dead Sea Apes
    Follakzoid
    Polska Radio One
    Pyschic Ills
    Radar Men from the Moon
    a lot of good music in that list... and a lot I need to go find now!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks for finally revealing the true meaning of "Symph weenie", as the ppl who are whining about how the vocals in prog hinder them from appreciating the fretting noises to the full extent!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

There's been many times over the years that I've bought a record or cd and hoped to enjoy it. The music would be enjoyable and I'm thinking I'm getting into it and then the vocals come in. Ugh! Vocals for me are a strange thing because I love opera and still enjoy rock vocals, but there are some I enjoy and others I can't take at all. For me at least it's just a personal take or leave.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    I have a musician-friend whose main complaint about J. Anderson's 1000 Hands is that Jon sings over the whole thing. He doesn't allow the band/session players any room to shine even for a moment. He says he wishes that Jon would just shut up long enough for him to hear the music. And this is a guy who loves Yes and saw them live in 1971 when they toured the States with Tull!
    I saw this tour and your friend's comments are absolutely not the Jon A or concert that I saw. There was a perfect balance between his vocals and the band, and there were moments when the keyboardist, violinist, wind instrumentalist and drummer were allowed to highlight their parts.
    The band was mixed well, and they seemed to be having a good time on stage and enjoyed playing the music and being on stage with Jon A.

Of course the concert we attended was just one of many, but I thought they sounded fantastic, and some of the Yes songs I enjoyed more than the Yes classic version we saw on the last tour.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it possible that the other version of the band (that is I think more acoustic) DOES have vocals, so he was asking how the newer version without vocals was doing? I think the other version is just called Asturias.
    This doesn't distract from the main point; instrumental (vocal-less) progressive rock is supposedly something "exotic" and different from the "usual" recipé, which is apparently to have a given set of exact roles in a band to achieve that eternal goal of coming as close to the precise sound of [---] or [---] as possible.

Progressive rock as an artistic concept with a disparate set of creative virtues in order to accomplish something on par with the greatness of former exponents - nah. Meh. We don't want that, 'cause oldies are best.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Thanks for finally revealing the true meaning of "Symph weenie", as the ppl who are whining about how the vocals in prog hinder them from appreciating the fretting noises to the full extent!
    Cheers!

I always thought it was symph wiener or viener, like the sausage.

Damn.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Is that for real??

With the possible exception of Dee Snider, hair-metal had so many awful vocalists. And always had that nasal whine.

In 'prog' David Surkamp was one I really couldn't get on with at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Is that for real??
    Yep. He can hardly breathe, and is barely intelligible. It's not like he ever was a good singer anyway, but still... this is just appalling.

^I gather they are coming out of 'retirement' again soon...yikes!

Meat Loaf's AFL performance is notorious in Australia.

Hmmm.. by far the most of my favourite singers are form Prog or close Genres.

I can't see any Problem with vocals in Prog. There are no more than a handful singers in Prog I can't stand.

Only one that Comes to mind that I really can't take