Thread: Cast From Mexico

Cast From Mexico

Here is a band I have not seen discussed in a while. The recent death of Dino Brassea has prompted me to go back and listen to a bunch of the early albums from Cast. Back in the late 90’s they were one of the first bands that I discovered that was still doing progressive rock and I have every album up through “Angels And Demons”. I have not listened to these albums in years but have kind of been enjoying going back through them. The production values were never the greatest, and the lyrics were sometimes a bit awkward since English was not their first language, but I am still getting a lot of enjoyment out of some of these albums. I am curious as to how people view this band today? BTW, their most recent album “Power And Outcome” is really good and their current lineup is very strong. I saw them in Chicago last year and they were as good, if not better, then ever. What say you all?

I wish they still put on Baja Prog

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I never made it to Baja Prog, but everyone I know who went loved it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always think of Cast as a band that isn’t actually GREAT, but is somehow comfort prog that I like to put on sometimes. Steve, about the most recent album, is it very proggy? Not as much? Also, how are the vocals? I like the vocals on the earlier albums, can’t tecall what they’re like on later albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always think of Cast as a band that isn’t actually GREAT, but is somehow comfort prog that I like to put on sometimes. Steve, about the most recent album, is it very proggy? Not as much? Also, how are the vocals? I like the vocals on the earlier albums, can’t tecall what they’re like on later albums.
    Jed - Here is a pretty good video of the current lineup playing live a couple of years ago. It should give you a pretty good idea of what they sound like today. Regarding the most recent album, I would say it is a bit heavier. Their current guitarist has more of a shredding / metal style than their former one, but he is really really good. They have also added violin and a female backing vocalist. I saw them at Progtoberfest in 2018 and thought they were as good, if not better, than I have ever seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    ^^^^
    THIS

really miss that festival
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I really love this band. Starting around the time of Nimbus or Al-Bandaluz, they outgrew the "neo" elements and became a full-on symphonic rock group. I get a ton of enjoyment out of their music, especially the stuff from the last 15 years or so. Art is probably my favorite, but each disc has plenty of good stuff to sink your teeth into.

I never really clicked with Cast, although I thought Al-Bandaluz was a big step in the right direction for them. But prog rock is a funny thing. A buddy of mine who was also into a lot of the same mainstream stuff that I was became a HUGE fan and gobbled up everything they ever released. Different strokes, and all...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

They got very good at what they did—essentially a form of neo-prog which to my ears had a bit of a leg-up on their contemporaries due to Alfonso’s classically-influenced playing and composing style—about the time of Endless Signs, perfecting the approach with Angels & Demons. The style started to seem a bit shopworn and stale after that, so I’m glad they began tampering with the formula starting with Al-bandaluz; those later albums feel a lot fresher and more mature.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Four Aces is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Jon Neudorf
    I only have Power and Outcome which I really like. Sorry to hear about their band member. RIP.

The first albums I got, when new, were Beyond Reality and then Angels & Demons. While you could argue Al-bandaluz and forward are better, I still like BR/AD the best. Very melodic, lots of nice keys by Alfonso.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Four Aces is a guilty pleasure of mine.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I first purchased the live "A View of Cast". Despite the awkward English lyrics, I became a fan and have many of their later discs. "Al-bandaluz" is a favorite.

Angels and Demons is a tremendous album, my favorite of their releases. I like just about all their stuff but AaD just seems to be a step above everything else.

Yeah they used to put on Bajaprog and crank out an album every year. Plus they had full-time jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Their last 2 or 3 albums are in fact GREAT prog. Alfonso has grown and matured into an exceptional composer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Totally agreed Peter😁

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Their last 2 or 3 albums are in fact GREAT prog. Alfonso has grown and matured into an exceptional composer.
    I agree. I avoided them for a long time because I thought they would just be "prog the numbers", but IMO they have lots of really great compositions and melodies that stay stuck in my mind for days on end. I love these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    As I mentioned in the original post, their latest album is really really good. Like many people, I got a bit burned out on Cast in part because they just released so much stuff, but the current version of the band is really top notch and I would agree that Alfonso has really grown as a composer. Seeing them at Progtoberfest last year was one of the best performances of the whole weekend, and there were 30 plus bands there.

I first heard them back in 2000 or so, got Angels and Demons and Endless Signs. I heard a couple others around that time as well, and they struck me as the kind of band where you hear one album, you've heard them all. I still think that is true for them up through 2000. I only kept Angels and Demons as it seemed to be the best of their 90's style. A couple years ago, I decided to check out Al Bandaluz and loved it immediately. I since bought almost everything from then until now, and I love it all (Nimbus is my least favorite, but still pretty good). I don't know exactly what happened, but ever since they started singing in Spanish (though they still do some songs in English), I have loved the albums (I always found Dino's vocals a little odd). The music is more diverse while still being quite proggy, and it just seems like they broke out of that 90's formula and found something much better. For my tastes at least. The most recent albums have also been excellent, so they have become an auto-buy band for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I first heard them back in 2000 or so, got Angels and Demons and Endless Signs. I heard a couple others around that time as well, and they struck me as the kind of band where you hear one album, you've heard them all. I still think that is true for them up through 2000. I only kept Angels and Demons as it seemed to be the best of their 90's style. A couple years ago, I decided to check out Al Bandaluz and loved it immediately. I since bought almost everything from then until now, and I love it all (Nimbus is my least favorite, but still pretty good). I don't know exactly what happened, but ever since they started singing in Spanish (though they still do some songs in English), I have loved the albums (I always found Dino's vocals a little odd). The music is more diverse while still being quite proggy, and it just seems like they broke out of that 90's formula and found something much better. For my tastes at least. The most recent albums have also been excellent, so they have become an auto-buy band for me now.
    Other than Alfonso the current lineup is completely different. I am not sure at what time in their history the lineup changes took place, but they definitely have a different sound today. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the new guitarist gives them a heavier sound (although not metal), and the violinist has made quite a difference as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Other than Alfonso the current lineup is completely different. I am not sure at what time in their history the lineup changes took place, but they definitely have a different sound today. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the new guitarist gives them a heavier sound (although not metal), and the violinist has made quite a difference as well.
    Good call!.

Great band, music and history ... and friends too, Los CAST(ores)!

- Family tree:
    https://www.castofficial.com/family-tree

- Members:
    Alfonso Vidales. (Teclados)
    - "Alfonso has grown and matured into an exceptional composer." --- Agree 100%. -

Claudio Cordero. (Guitar)
    - "Claudio Cordero is a chilean guitarist and composer with an extensive musical career, in which highlights the participation in bands like Matraz (Chile), Cast (Mexico), Oxygene8 (USA) and Claudio Cordero Band (Chile)."
    More: http://www.claudiocordero.cl/ -

- I appreciate his contribution and "push" to the band´s sound since "COM​.​UNION" from 2007.-

Roberto Izzo. (Violín)
    - Great! -

Antonio Bringas. (Batería y Percusiones).
    - Antonio has been an important part of CAST's past as well. -

Bobby Vidales. (Voz Principal y Coros)
    Lupita Acuña. (Voz y Coros) -- great both IMO!
    - Alfonso's son and lovely wife! -

Carlos Humarán. (Bajo, Taurus Pedals y Coros)
    - Charlie is the guistarrist in Al-Bandaluz (2003) and Nimbus (2003) -

More:
    https://www.castofficial.com/members

- FYI:
    CAST to Headline RoSfest 2020.
    https://www.castofficial.com/news

- np:
    Sand of Time - Live. (2016)
    (released March 7, 2017)

https://castoficial.bandcamp.com/alb...time-live-2016

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I am also a fan of this great symphonic prog band , the musicianship is always stellar. Reading this thread made me put on Angels And Demons which is my favorite from them , still sounds as good as it ever did for me.

I also really like their newer albums , especially Vida and the brilliant Power And Outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Good call!.

Great band, music and history ... and friends too, Los CAST(ores)!

- Family tree:
    https://www.castofficial.com/family-tree

- Members:
    Alfonso Vidales. (Teclados)
    - "Alfonso has grown and matured into an exceptional composer." --- Agree 100%. -

Claudio Cordero. (Guitar)
    - "Claudio Cordero is a chilean guitarist and composer with an extensive musical career, in which highlights the participation in bands like Matraz (Chile), Cast (Mexico), Oxygene8 (USA) and Claudio Cordero Band (Chile)."
    More: http://www.claudiocordero.cl/ -

- I appreciate his contribution and "push" to the band´s sound since "COM​.​UNION" from 2007.-

Roberto Izzo. (Violín)
    - Great! -

Antonio Bringas. (Batería y Percusiones).
    - Antonio has been an important part of CAST's past as well. -

Bobby Vidales. (Voz Principal y Coros)
    Lupita Acuña. (Voz y Coros) -- great both IMO!
    - Alfonso's son and lovely wife! -

Carlos Humarán. (Bajo, Taurus Pedals y Coros)
    - Charlie is the guistarrist in Al-Bandaluz (2003) and Nimbus (2003) -

More:
    https://www.castofficial.com/members

- FYI:
    CAST to Headline RoSfest 2020.
    https://www.castofficial.com/news

- np:
    Sand of Time - Live. (2016)
    (released March 7, 2017)

https://castoficial.bandcamp.com/alb...time-live-2016

Regards,
    Tomás.
    I did not know the vocalist was his son. Thanks for posting all of that. Interesting stuff.