Thread: Netflix's "Echo In The Canyon" Documentary

Netflix's "Echo In The Canyon" Documentary

This is the first thing since I've been home that has so much going for it that I had to alert all interested in the music that came out of Laurel Canyon in the 60s. There are interviews and music clips w/too many to mention from back then as well as current artists like Jakob Dylan, Regina Spektor, Beck and some others who I've heard of but whose names have quickly melted into my convalescent ether.

Oh yeah, the lead guitarist in the backing band is someone known to many here, Francisco Perdomo, and he gets to play a little.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Watched this last night. It was worth watching, though I'm tired of these docs that employ a lot of younger artists who weren't even alive at the time just to draw in more viewers.

I have also watched this and really enjoyed it. Pretty amazing the amount of talent that was in that one little area of L.A.

John Boegehold
    There's a great history to Laurel Canyon and the musicians that lived there, much more than was covered here (Joni Mitchell?). I was looking forward to this documentary but I found Jacob Dylan's interview style fairly dull and the amount of camera time he had to be distracting. Also, he and the other artists playing songs of the era came off as lifeless and unnecessary. Why not hand guitars to Crosby, Stills, Nash, McGuinn, etc. put 'em on a stage and let them play?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Seen it. Liked it.

Ember
    I think the concert and soundtrack album may have been the primary purpose of the project, and the film was a way to get more mileage out of the effort. Clearly, historical accuracy or completeness were low on the list of priorities.

I enjoyed it, sure, but this territory has been far more extensively covered by previous documentaries and books. This was a film about “Jakob Dylan loves Sixties folk-rock.”

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I think the concert and soundtrack album may have been the primary purpose of the project, and the film was a way to get more mileage out of the effort. Clearly, historical accuracy or completeness were low on the list of priorities.

I enjoyed it, sure, but this territory has been far more extensively covered by previous documentaries and books. This was a film about “Jakob Dylan loves Sixties folk-rock.”
    yeah, definitely a hipster vibe and nothing really indepth. The subject does deserve more than a hummingbird approach. Still, I walked away with a better appreciation than I had before, so no, not for experts.

it was okay, however the lack of content about The Monkees was baffling, just like The Wrecking Crew doc.

John Boegehold
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    it was okay, however the lack of content about The Monkees was baffling, just like The Wrecking Crew doc.
    Agreed, especially Tork and Nesmith who played with all those guys around that time. Steven Stills also auditioned for The Monkees and played on some of their records.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Good point that I really never thought about. It seems like at one point they show a map of where people lived in the Canyon and at least one of the Monkees was on it if I remember correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

After watching I wasn’t sure he loved that music — he looked bored when talking with these legends. I thought it was”Jakob Dylan needs a paycheck”

That said, I enjoyed much of the movie — but for the legends, not really any of the people under 50 who got screen time (except Fiona Apple)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just a heads up that if you buy the soundtrack from Amazon, it's a CD-R. Some guy at stevehoffman.tv says the Amazon app doesn't indicate it.