Thread: Steve Hackett - Deja Vu (bollocks)

Steve Hackett - Deja Vu (bollocks)

In what is becoming an annual event now, this week I watched yet another superb Hackett gig.
    During the set he played a track called Deja Vu, which he claimed was a contender for Selling England. I now gather that the song was featured in his mid-90s Revisited shows, so this may have been discussed here already, but basically I think it is complete BOLLOCKS that this could have been on SE. This song is completely at odds with everything on that album. I just don't buy for one minute that this track was conceived in 1973.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard all of the publically circulating demos from the era and there is nothing like this track anywhere on the tapes. I think Hackett is getting his dates mixed up personally.

The gig itself however was fantastic - new drummer: superb / bass player: bringing more funky edge to the tracks / singer: finally making these songs his own and capturing the spirit of the period perfectly (not trying to 'be' Gabriel)

Deju Vu, however, was shit.
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

He said something like it was a rough outline of a song that Gabriel had been working on circa Selling England and he got permission to use it and make a finished piece out of it. I don't see the point in saying that if it wasn't true.

^ I believe Steve said that was a song Peter was working on at the time, but never finished. Steve phoned Pete, and got permission to finish the track and perform it. I didn't think it sounded like something off Selling England, but something that could have been on Please Don't Touch. For me, it wasn't great, but it didn't suck. Glad he has it in the set.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like Deja Vu.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

It definitely sounds like an unfinished PG song to me. I suspect it would've been a much stronger piece if the whole band *had* worked on it instead of just Steve finishing it up. I really like the melody to it, though. I actually find myself singing it sometimes.

It's too bad he can't reconstruct some of the more famous lost songs like Wooden Mask, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Deju Vu, however, was shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like Deja Vu.
    Anyone feel a little meh?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

The very beginning sorta sounded Gabriel-like, but after that, it was pure latter-day Hackett, who probably "embellished" the story of the song's origins...

Oh no, not again...

It's a nice song but it doesn't really sound like anything Genesis would have done in the 70s, no. I guess it would have been no more 'out of place' than 'More Fool Me', in terms of fitting on SEBTP.

I forget whether similar was said about the other 'new' song 'Valley Of The Kings', but that one sounds pure 90s Hackett.

That album has some really nice rearrangements ('For Absent Friends' with Colin Blunstone) but also some real headscratchers. Why flat the third on the end chord of 'Watcher...'? Why shove an improvisation in the middle of 'Firth Of Fifth'? If it ain't broke...
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-15-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Speaking strictly practically, I don't see a good reason for Hackett to assign Gabriel a co-writing credit on the song unless it was his "skeleton".

I like the song OK actually- pretty tune, "middle aged dude regret" lyrics- there is much worse in the Genesis & friends canon, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Speaking strictly practically, I don't see a good reason for Hackett to assign Gabriel a co-writing credit on the song unless it was his "skeleton".
    Actually on further reflection, I'm inclined to agree with that. Possible that it was just a melody (however fragmentary) Gabriel came up with at the time and Hackett made a song out of decades later.

I like Paul Carrack's vocal on it. Pity about the slushy Adult Contemporary version of 'Your Own Special Way' though.

On another note, I only saw the first Genesis Revisited tour in 2013. But I was pleased to see he had a load of sell-out shows on this current UK tour. I always thought he'd be able to carry this on for some years but didn't think it would be as successful as this, 6/7 years on.
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Pity about the slushy Adult Contemporary version of 'Your Own Special Way' though.
    Honestly, it isn't much worse than the orignal, which was more or less a direct descendant of "More Fool Me" (the singing I mean).
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Honestly, it isn't much worse than the orignal, which was more or less a direct descendant of "More Fool Me" (the singing I mean).
    Gotta agree- was never fond of that one.

On another note, I only saw the first Genesis Revisited tour in 2013. But I was pleased to see he had a load of sell-out shows on this current UK tour. I always thought he'd be able to carry this on for some years but didn't think it would be as successful as this, 6/7 years on.
    I wonder if he feels a little bit artistically trapped by the success? He's even added Cinema Show to his setlists, a piece where he'd leave the stage for the big Banks/Collins/Rutherford instrumental section that was the live highlight. When his band does it, he just seems to strum along during that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I've always hated that electric piano solo in the original, but otherwise it doesn't bother me. I'd rather 'Inside And Out' had been there instead though.

The remake has another terrible keyboard sound, but all the way through it. It comes out sounding like a Celine Dion backing track or something. Bleurgh.

IMHO the best version of this song was the one Genesis did in Australia with an orchestra in the 80s.

Ironically I thought his albums from the 90s/00s were far better, though!
    Ditto. IMO Guitar Noir is good enough that he could play the whole thing live start to finish and it would hold up to his earlier stuff.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yeah, I really enjoyed 'Sierra Quemada' as well, and 'Take These Pearls' and 'Dark Is The Grave' too. I think 'To Watch The Storms' is actually my favorite of anything past the first 4 and is pretty consistent.

Incidentally, Deja Vu' was well loved in concert last month. Received a standing ovation. Partly I think because it was a surprise to many. It's no 'Firth' or 'Cinema Show', and I think was well left off Selling England, or developed as a b-side, but I enjoyed the performance. It definitely sounds like a Hackett-Gabriel composition.

Yup, as bill g says, Steve gets huge amounts of encouragement at the shows. The only negative I could sense at my show was that the show eventually had to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    The only negative I could sense at my show was that the show eventually had to end.
    Isn't that the truth! Steve has been like a fine wine that only gets better with age.

The show was my third Steve solo show (I also saw him with Genesis 3 times). He really does go against the grain of many artists by truly getting better and better each time. He has not rested; he continues to play at such a high level. And he does things that no other guitarist does...all those ethereal atmospheres and sound effects. The unique combination of techniques that he employs makes for a feast for the ears.

This old-time Genesis fan is so thankful Steve is still out there. I'll catch him every chance I get.

And underscoring something someone else said, his current band his insanely good. And Nad? Sheesh! I would pay huge money even just to see him alone. What a voice and stage presence!

oh, Steve is clearly is having a grand time doing it too. What could be better?
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 11-15-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Yes yes to this!

I like the song OK actually- pretty tune, "middle aged dude regret" lyrics- there is much worse in the Genesis & friends canon, that is for sure.
    I'd add one more thing to this obviously being Gabriel's original baby as Steve said. The lyric: "Like a flower slow to open". That is Gabriel through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgVanWinkle View Post
    I'd add one more thing to this obviously being Gabriel's original baby as Steve said. The lyric: "Like a flower slow to open". That is Gabriel through and through.
    The melody line for that phrase sounds like "We both know it; Christ, you show it" from 1978's PG song 'Flotsam and Jetsam'.

Quote Originally Posted by godbluff75 View Post
    The melody line for that phrase sounds like "We both know it; Christ, you show it" from 1978's PG song 'Flotsam and Jetsam'.
    Nicely spotted. Always wondered why that part sounded so damned familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by godbluff75 View Post
    Nicely spotted. Always wondered why that part sounded so damned familiar.
    I believe "My Head Sounds Like That" (from "Up") is also reminiscent of that melody (from "Flotsam and Jetsam"), and Gabriel mentioned somewhere that something on that album was recycled from an earlier song.