Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Pat Metheny - From This Place 2/21/20

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

new album "Road to the Sun" coming March 5th, 2021

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIYa9-WA37q/

Great to see. Pat is one of the most truly mind-blowing musicians in the world. Just staggeringly brilliant and I always give his work repeat listens.

Ember
    We saw the LAGQ perform Road to the Sun at a Philadelphia Chamber Music Society concert in November 2017. It was an impressive and mesmerizing piece, but two years later, having heard it only the once, I can remember very little of it. I've been eagerly awaiting this recording. (I am unfamiliar with the other piece on the new record.)

I fantasized about a quad recording of the piece, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

new album "Road to the Sun" coming March 5th, 2021

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIYa9-WA37q/
    Well there's some good news in an otherwise shitty year.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Ember
    It should probably be emphasized that Metheny does not perform on this album. It consists of his compositions for classical guitar, played by other musicians.

My recollection of "Road to the Sun" is that, while it shares the compositional lexicon of some of his other serious, long-form work, it is not in any way jazz. It is clearly Metheny, though, even without his fingers on the strings.
    Last edited by rdclark; 12-05-2020 at 06:07 AM.

I found these videos last night. A interesting analysis of the Metheny/Mays compositional approach and who wrote which parts. Turns out Lyle wrote a lot of the quirkier harmonic and rhythmic sections.