Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat Metheny - From This Place 2/21/20

Pat Metheny - From This Place 2/21/20

https://www.facebook.com/PatMetheny/...action_generic

Preorder Link: https://stores.portmerch.com/patmeth...his-place.html which includes a download of "America Undefined"

Pat Metheny's new album, 'From This Place,' is due February 21. The record features ten compositions by Metheny, who is joined by drummer Antonio Sánchez, bassist Linda May Han Oh, and pianist Gwilym Simcock, plus the Hollywood Studio Symphony led by Joel McNeely and special guests Meshell Ndegeocello, Grégoire Maret, and Luis Conte.

Pre-order in the Pat Metheny Store to download the track “America Undefined” now and get a limited-edition print signed by Pat.
    https://stores.portmerch.com/patmeth...his-place.html
    Pat Metheny - From This Place.jpg

1. America Undefined
    2. Wide and Far
    3. You Are
    4. Same River
    5. Pathmaker
    6. The Past in Us
    7. Everything Explained
    8. From This Place
    9. Sixty-Six
    10. Love May Take Awhile

Oh man, yeah!!

I’ve been waiting so long for new music from Pat. This is most welcome indeed.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Sounds great! Would have been an auto-buy anyway, though
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Pat Metheny - From this Place(Feb 21st)

Pat Metheny's new album, 'From This Place,' is due February 21. The record features ten compositions by Metheny, who is joined by drummer Antonio Sánchez, bassist Linda May Han Oh, and pianist Gwilym Simcock, plus the Hollywood Studio Symphony led by Joel McNeely and special guests Meshell Ndegeocello, Grégoire Maret, and Luis Conte.

Pre-order in the Pat Metheny Store to download the track “America Undefined” now and get a limited-edition print signed by Pat.

https://stores.portmerch.com/patmeth...oPFFz7E7r84N50

I hope that he tours when I can get to a show.
    I had to skip the last 2 of 3 due to 'conflicts'.
    Wolftrap I hope!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Yee haa!
    So glad to hear.

Pat's music makes this world a wee bit more tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    13 minute track, cool.

Finally new music from Pat. He's said in interviews that he has about 5 albums finished. The players on this are not surprising since he's been touring with them. I like the new track. The orchestra is interesting. Definitely a PMG vibe rather than a classic quartet.

Antonio shared studio photos on FB in late 2016, I'm guessing the basic tracks date from then.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I'm interested.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Ember
    I'm stoked for this album, even though it's not the one I was hoping for. That would have been more of a straight document of the music he was playing three years ago with this group. When I saw them (late '16, I think), I was so impressed with Simcock that I did a bit of a deep dive into this amazing British pianist's back catalog, which was very rewarding. Bassist Oh's music is less to my taste, but her work on stage with Pat was riveting.

It looks to me like, with the guests and the orchestra and all, this new release is aiming for a more commercial profile, relatively speaking. I'm sure it will be great.

If you're thinking about pre-ordering, be prepared for a shocking $6.49 shipping charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I'm stoked for this album, even though it's not the one I was hoping for. That would have been more of a straight document of the music he was playing three years ago with this group. When I saw them (late '16, I think), I was so impressed with Simcock that I did a bit of a deep dive into this amazing British pianist's back catalog, which was very rewarding. Bassist Oh's music is less to my taste, but her work on stage with Pat was riveting.

It looks to me like, with the guests and the orchestra and all, this new release is aiming for a more commercial profile, relatively speaking. I'm sure it will be great.

If you're thinking about pre-ordering, be prepared for a shocking $6.49 shipping charge.
    I saw Simcock "back in the day" in Bill Bruford's Earthworks. He was astonishing then, I can only imagine he is twice as good now...

Happy, so happy!
    Thanks for posting the video and H.U.!

Pura vida!.

Auto-buy. This sounds like classic Pat!

Always interested in what he does, and a tour would be great too! Last time I saw him was his Orchestrion tour....That being said, I would LOVE to see Lyle Mays back behind the keys, his work is so sublime. One of my all time favorite keyboard players.

The orchestra sounds amazing, I wonder if he'd tour with one? I'm sure he's got the bank to do it!
    Last edited by gpeccary; 11-15-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Wondering what the Meshell Ndegeocello contribution is like.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    That being said, I would LOVE to see Lyle Mays back behind the keys, his work is so sublime.
    You are not alone. It's a shame he basically went full Martin Orford on us. Or maybe it's Martin who went full Lyle Mays.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Alright Metheny Fans, I have Offramp, which I love. What should I buy next??

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Travels, Wichita Falls

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Do you want PMG recommendations? If so, I would go with Still Life (Talking) and Secret Story (2007 special edition).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post

The orchestra sounds amazing, I wonder if he'd tour with one? I'm sure he's got the bank to do it!
    Now? Sorry to say, I doubt it. Maybe in the 90's he could have.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I'm stoked for this album, even though it's not the one I was hoping for. That would have been more of a straight document of the music he was playing three years ago with this group.
    They were playing mostly Metheny's back catalog. A release of that could be nice, but I doubt it's top priority for him.

Where are people seeing this for pre-order? Amazon doesn't seem to have it on their radar yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Where are people seeing this for pre-order? Amazon doesn't seem to have it on their radar yet.
    There are probably other options, but I found a link to pre-order it from Amazon Music streaming. I don't see a link there yet to pre-order a CD.

https://www.amazon.com/This-Place-Pa.../dp/B07ZPFTCZF