Thread: Trans Siberian Orchestra tour

Trans Siberian Orchestra tour

My wife and I have been trying to catch this show each year it's been in our area.. This year we got tickets.. I may have asked this question in years past.. based on the albums I own and the few youtube clips I've seen.. fair to say we are in for an amazing evening of music / light show etc. Any others that have seen this current tour? Comments? Observations? Thanks..

I've been seeing them every year since 2006. Also been interviewing their performers for many years. The Show as it is stands now is visually spectacular for sure, with its video, lights, lasers, pyro, etc. The first half is based on their first Christmas album, a certified classic IMHO. The second half includes a few Savatage songs, cheerleader/stripper choreography, dragon visuals, a giant Tesla coil and the kitchen sink. I still enjoy it, but not as much as the older tours. The spectacle of the production elements really took over and the goal of the Show is to leave you saying "Wow!", and it will.

This is from this year's tour - some of the Savatage stuff:

For a Christmas concert, I also see The Wizards of Winter. Their entire all-original show is Christmas, is a bit more proggy, and the focus is squarely on the music and the meaning of Christmas. And they play more as a band. Both groups have amazing musicians and singers though. So I see both each year for different reasons.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 11-14-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    My wife and I have been trying to catch this show each year it's been in our area.. This year we got tickets.. I may have asked this question in years past.. based on the albums I own and the few youtube clips I've seen.. fair to say we are in for an amazing evening of music / light show etc. Any others that have seen this current tour? Comments? Observations? Thanks..
    I don't think the current tour has started yet, although I could be wrong on that. I have seen them quite a few times over the years. A few years ago we took my then 83 year old father and he loved it so much that we took him every year after that. Unfortunately he passed away in August. I don't think we are going to go this year, just because it is a bit too soon, but will probably see them again in the future. The show is spectacular and I think you will dig it. Of course the core of TSO are Savatage whom I was also a big fan of back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I don't think the current tour has started yet, although I could be wrong on that.
    The tour is under way. The video clip I attached above is from this year’s tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    It's way too early to see them this far away from Christmas. The first time I saw them it was close to Christmas and I liked it a lot. Plus Jon Anderson came on stage at the end as a surprise and sang a song. The second time I saw them was further away from Christmas and not as enjoyable. It's been a while since I've seen them. One of these years I might go again.
    Our tickets are for Dec 12th.. so timing should be perfect..

Bumping this one:

TSO is the only band or orchestra I have seen in four different American cities and enjoyed every single one of them since 2000: Houston TX (multiple shows), San Antonio TX, Sacramento CA and Newark NJ.

This year, all of us will only be able to see them Live via streaming at one location. It will be interesting to see how the two (East and West) touring live orchestras blend into one. I hope so and even if this stream has a higher ticket price than most streams, I'm thinking it will be worth the $30 tag. December 18th 8PM ET

https://www.trans-siberian.com/tour

We all need some cheer after such a forgettable and tough year 2020.
    Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Bumping this one:

TSO is the only band or orchestra I have seen in four different American cities and enjoyed every single one of them since 2000: Houston TX (multiple shows), San Antonio TX, Sacramento CA and Newark NJ.

This year, all of us will only be able to see them Live via streaming at one location. It will be interesting to see how the two (East and West) touring live orchestras blend into one. I hope so and even if this stream has a higher ticket price than most streams, I'm thinking it will be worth the $30 tag. December 18th 8PM ET

https://www.trans-siberian.com/tour

We all need some cheer after such a forgettable and tough year 2020.
    Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas to all!
    I assume it will be similar to the Waken Festival performance in 2015 when it was a combined TSO / Savatage re-union. It was actually a very cool show (you can find it on Youtube). With both the East / West companies together we basically get Savatage minus John Oliva. For me, being a big Savatage fan I think that is cool.

This livestream will be much closer to their Beethovens Last Night tour that combined selected members from both of their touring casts, not Wacken at all. Like the BLN tour, it has the four Savatage musicians that had split into the two TSO touring casts performing together. In fact, this performance will have considerably less performers than on their normal stage, so look for less chorus and dancing. It is being filmed in a studio facility in Nashville and will be much more intimate than an arena Show. There will be some effects - for example, instead of just having the East cast narrator announce from the stage, they will have some effects around him to make it appear he is walking along a foggy street and different settings. They will also have cameras on stage with the band, so there will be much closer views of the performers. The performance is strictly the Christmas Eve and Other Stories show (typically the first half of a TSO Show). There is some planning of a short non-CEAOS portion which would be VERY cool if it comes off, but it is still up in the air,
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 11-26-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    This livestream will be much closer to their Beethovens Last Night tour that combined selected members from both of their touring casts, not Wacken at all. Like the BLN tour, it has the four Savatage musicians that had split into the two TSO touring casts performing together. In fact, this performance will have considerably less performers than on their normal stage, so look for less chorus and dancing. It is being filmed in a studio facility in Nashville and will be much more intimate than an arena Show. There will be some effects - for example, instead of just having the East cast narrator announce from the stage, they will have some effects around him to make it appear he is walking along a foggy street and different settings. They will also have cameras on stage with the band, so there will be much closer views of the performers. The performance is strictly the Christmas Eve and Other Stories show (typically the first half of a TSO Show). There is some planning of a short non-CEAOS portion which would be VERY cool if it comes off, but it is still up in the air,
    Thanks for the interesting details.

What I meant by having the two touring bands on the same stage, was to have a selected group of musicians from either band and lower scale production effects.
    It would be impossible to do the same massive arena show at the reduced steaming location.

Normally, the afternoon TSO shows (which I much prefer) and evening shows had a 90 minute duration so we can expect about 60-70 minute duration only for the CEAOS portion.
    And like you said, it should be closer to a smaller scale theater Beethoven show (I never saw that) relative to the production scale.

Thanks for the interesting details.

What I meant by having the two touring bands on the same stage, was to have a selected group of musicians from either band and lower scale production effects.
    It would be impossible to do the same massive arena show at the reduced steaming location.

Normally, the afternoon TSO shows (which I much prefer) and evening shows had a 90 minute duration so we can expect about 60-70 minute duration only for the CEAOS portion.
    And like you said, it should be closer to a smaller scale theater Beethoven show (I never saw that) relative to the production scale.
    The livestream is 90 minutes in length. The typical TSO Show (afternoon and evenings are identical) are two hours and twenty minutes, and the CEAOS portion is just about 80 minutes when including the narration. They are tacking on some interviews and such but as mentioned, there is some planning of a short non-CEAOS portion which would be VERY cool if it comes off, but it is still up in the air. As for performers, it is unlike Waken in that they brought just about every performer they employed at the time and threw them all on stage for that Show. This is more akin to the BLN tour, where they have hired a few select folks that typically perform in each cast to fill out the roles required for the CEAOS story. There will still be a lot of production effects, but of a different nature than you may be used to. The plan was originally to film this in a theater they were renting in the NYC area, but they ultimately moved it to this production facility in Tennessee for monetary reasons. Either way, should be interesting to see how they pull it off. I have been seeing them for a long time and am more a fan of the music and not as much of the spectacle-side part of the presentation.

I apologize in advance if this insults anyone, but I find this kind of stuff cringe inducing.

Overdone and overdramatic 'rock' and 'metal' posing by the musicians, musician's hair being 'dramatically' blown back by fans , dumbed down rock versions of classical pieces, legitimate orchestral musicians running around the stage playing a violin, and oh yeah, they are wearing a tux with the sleeves cut off, so you can tell they are 'hardcore rockers'. If I watched a few of their vids on YT, I am sure I could find paragraphs of other equally cringey (to me) things I could list.

Sure, there is no question about the musical talent present, but everything about the performance, visually and musically, is (to me) majorly kitschy, and that's an understatement.

I guess it allows non-rock fans to 'rock out' in a safe, unchallenging way. And it allows rockers to feel a bit cultured because they are hearing classical music, but it still 'rocks'.

I wish I could understand the appeal of so many prog fans here, though.
    Last edited by simon moon; 11-27-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I apologize in advance if this insults anyone, but I find this kind of stuff cringe inducing.

Overdone and overdramatic 'rock' and 'metal' posing by the musicians, musician's hair being 'dramatically' blown back by fans , dumbed down rock versions of classical pieces, legitimate orchestral musicians running around the stage playing a violin, and oh yeah, they are wearing a tux with the sleeves cut off, so you can tell they are 'hardcore rockers'. If I watched a few of their vids on YT, I am sure I could find paragraphs of other equally cringey (to me) things I could list.

Sure, there is no question about the musical talent present, but everything about the performance, visually and musically, is (to me) majorly kitschy, and that's an understatement.

I guess it allows non-rock fans to 'rock out' in a safe, unchallenging way. And it allows rockers to feel a bit cultured because they are hearing classical music, but it still 'rocks'.

For me, Savatage remains one of my all-time favorite prog metal bands. TSO morphed from Savatage,. so for me it is an extension what I already liked about that band.

Jon Neudorf

And that is exactly what I like about TSO. Different strokes.....

To him who has had the experience no explanation is necessary, to him who has not, none is possible.
    Ram Dass

Overdone and overdramatic 'rock' and 'metal' posing by the musicians, musician's hair being 'dramatically' blown back by fans , dumbed down rock versions of classical pieces, legitimate orchestral musicians running around the stage playing a violin, and oh yeah, they are wearing a tux with the sleeves cut off, so you can tell they are 'hardcore rockers'.
    You say it like it's bad...

v

Is there a band that doesn't wish they could have the spectacular stage show that is TSO? Lights, lasers, pyrotechnics and simulated snow don't come cheap! Not to mention the size of the band...

Having seen this show a number of times (I lost count), I can disagree with some of the negativity but also agree that TSO is a faceless band that mostly relies on pre-recorded soundtracks than its live music performers.

It is the spectacular laser-light show that sells more than the music itself. There is no hard core metal in this show, it's just a mixed group of pop and classical session players who wear costumes like acrobats and clowns do in a circus but in TSO they wear tuxedos with the sleeves cut off as someone mentioned.

In the audience are senior citizens and small children who never have been avid metal fans but are there to keep up with the family "Holiday tradition".
    This is also an annual mega marketing campaign like the Nutcracker and Rockette shows but in a massive scale touring East and West. I think they have never toured in Europe, only parts of Canada.

There is no "morphing" from Savatage to TSO. Yes, that band planted the seed but never had the grandeur and mega scale that TSO is now.
    But we all like to be part of this and many traditions.

I think they have never toured in Europe
    Not since 2014. Probably just a lot more ticket sales in the US

I think they have never toured in Europe, only parts of Canada.
    They toured Europe in 2011 on their Beethovens Last Night tour and again in 2014 where they leaned very heavily on the Savatage catalogue, which is what interests the European fans. They have said that they wouldn't do a Christmas tour in Europe because of the costs involved, the fact that they would have to hire a 3rd band just for that, and the general lack of interest that Europe has for TSO (unless they are performing Savatage). They paid their way into the big Wacken festival in 2015 and did a big joint Savatage/TSO performance. The main sell over there was Savatage - but they never displayed the band's name or logo anywhere during the performance - it was all TSO.

pre-recorded soundtracks
    I am close to the act and have been running a series of interviews with their performers for almost nine years now. Alot of info comes my way, and I can safely say that they do not use pre-recorded backing tracks in their Shows. There is some smoke & mirrors, mainly with the keys playing the string parts (you really don't hear the "local strings"), the West cast has someone "playing" a flute in the Sarajevo intro but you are actually hearing the keyboardist play that flute part, occasional chorus patches played on the keys to thicken certain choral numbers (e.g. "Carmina Burana") and certain performers are not in the mix at all at points in the Show. It is ALL about the presentation, for sure, and is ultimately a Show with a capital "S". The whole thing is now set to SMPTe code, with the music timed to the lights and effects. Really no room for any improv anywhere. It didn't start out that way , but gradually as the act grew and moved into arenas, the emphasis on the spectacle really took over. I still go every year because I have friends in the Show and to hear the songs performed. I cringe when the girls come out and "dance" or the musicians make a big deal about sticking their guitars in the cold spark machines all for the look of it. But they do hire some amazing vocalists and quality musicians and the music (which is what I am there for) is performed really well. Their first three albums are classics to me and love hearing that music performed.

Having seen this show a number of times (I lost count), I can disagree with some of the negativity but also agree that TSO is a faceless band that mostly relies on pre-recorded soundtracks than its live music performers.

It is the spectacular laser-light show that sells more than the music itself. There is no hard core metal in this show, it's just a mixed group of pop and classical session players who wear costumes like acrobats and clowns do in a circus but in TSO they wear tuxedos with the sleeves cut off as someone mentioned.

In the audience are senior citizens and small children who never have been avid metal fans but are there to keep up with the family "Holiday tradition".
    This is also an annual mega marketing campaign like the Nutcracker and Rockette shows but in a massive scale touring East and West. I think they have never toured in Europe, only parts of Canada.

There is no "morphing" from Savatage to TSO. Yes, that band planted the seed but never had the grandeur and mega scale that TSO is now.
    But we all like to be part of this and many traditions.

I respectfully disagree. When TSO stared out all of the members of Savatage were a part of it. The brainchild of TSO, Paul O'niel had also been working with Savatage for years. TSO's biggest hit was a Savatage song originally recorded on the "Dead Winter Dead" album. As a band, Savatage never made it above opening act / club headliner status, and TSO became much bigger, but when it started out TSO was basically Savatage. Today all of the members of Savatage (with the exception of John Oliva) are still involved, split between the east and west companies on tour. Jonny Lee Middleton, Jeff Plate, Chris Caffery, Al Pitrelli, and Zak Stevens are all still touring members.

Regarding TSO being faceless, the last time I saw them, along with the Savatage guys they had Russell Allen from Symphony X, Joel Hoekstra from Whitesnake, American Idol winner Caleb Johnson among others in the "east" company.

I have never had the impression that much of their show is pre-recorded either.

I will agree that, their audience is more of a family thing than a traditional metal audience (my father was in his 80's and totally loved going), and very few in the audience have any idea who Savatage is.