Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this the best prog-rock song of all time?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nope.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I know what I like
    And I like what I know
    Getting better in your wardrobe
    Stepping one beyond your show

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

This is a little bit better.
    Funnily enough, "Bloody Cum" was a top contender for band name before they settled on "Asia" ...

Some people (snobs) only consider prog to be things like Yes, Genesis, and Mandrill, and refuse to recognize advant-prog like this.

"Best prog-rock song of all time"? This isn't even the best prog-rock song in the Beatles!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Is this the best prog-rock song of all time?
    Yep. As sure as eggs is eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Best prog-rock song of all time"? This isn't even the best prog-rock song in the Beatles!
    I feel as though
    You ought to know
    That I've been good
    As good as I can be

Some really cool answers so thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

This is a little bit better.
    No wonder you get complaints at home.

While I can appreciate the original poster's passion and taking a stand about his obvious favorite song, I just think his reasoning was off.

If we can EVER agree on exactly what Prog is, I'm reasonably sure that Supper's Ready will be crowned the greatest example of a progressive rock song ever recorded...

Every time I see a post about Asia I think "I really must check this band out". I then completely forget about them until the next time I see an Asia post. Is my brain trying to tell me something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    If we can EVER agree on exactly what Prog is, I'm reasonably sure that Supper's Ready will be crowned the greatest example of a progressive rock song ever recorded.
    Hardly. Meaning I don't think it'll be 'crowned' as such, and neither should it.

Quote Originally Posted by the illusionist View Post
    Asia is not pop!! Backstreet boys is pop.
    Pop music could be harmonically and dynamically highly advanced - like selected songs by Humperdinck, the Beach Boys, Jimmy Webb, the Beatles, ABBA, Prefab Sprout and hundreds of others - while Asia created some of the worst dreck there ever was and apparently weren't able to do otherwise.

Progressive rock music set out to transcend, explore radically into forays of a tabula rasa. Examples of this are discussed in places like PE every single day. Asia, on the other hand, were hard rock/pop at its least potent and exciting. A laughable stab at "prog", a lame attempt at hard rock and even worse as pop.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hardly. Meaning I don't think it'll be 'crowned' as such, and neither should it.

Pop music could be harmonically and dynamically highly advanced - like selected songs by Humperdinck, the Beach Boys, Jimmy Webb, the Beatles, ABBA, Prefab Sprout and hundreds of others - while Asia created some of the worst dreck there ever was and apparently weren't able to do otherwise.

Progressive rock music set out to transcend, explore radically into forays of a tabula rasa. Examples of this are discussed in places like PE every single day. Asia, on the other hand, were hard rock/pop at its least potent and exciting. A laughable stab at "prog", a lame attempt at hard rock and even worse as pop.
    Originally, “Prog” was assigned to new music. Today, burned out music is regarded still as Prog even if it is old hat. This post is just to stimulate an old hat conversation. I’m excited by original and creative rock. Asia is not a good example. A better example which is correlated is Yes’ Drama album.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

I love the post-modern video clip too.

What do you think?
    The only time I can remember seeing more helpfully literal visual representations of lyrics was in the weekly Pans People "dance" on TOTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Originally, “Prog” was assigned to new music. Today, burned out music is regarded still as Prog even if it is old hat. This post is just to stimulate an old hat conversation. I’m excited by original and creative rock.
    Yeah. But it's still possible to wear an old hat as a scarf when there's a hole in it. And if it's burning, well then Arthur Brown can wear it. He's old too.

Asia were never a progressive rock group and "Heat of the Moment" neither a progressive nor a very good pop/rock song, no matter the attemptive definition. That burning old hat discussion/conversation needs to be extinguished.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Greatest prog song ever recorded would be John Cage 4'33"

* Born from both intellect and rebellion against convention
    * Countless versions; no two performances even slightly close
    * Endless list of performers makes Yes look like a stable lineup
    * Could easily be converted into a 50-disc deluxe box with surround mixes on blu ray and more. Hell, 100 discs and you'd STILL not find any repetition. Burn out Wilson's Pro Tools!!
    * If someone threw Roger Dean a few bucks maybe he could make a floating mushroom for the cover, which would make Zombie John Cage smile
    * Con: at under 5 minutes I'm sure someone will bitch there's no epics. Those someones can go suck my angry left nut.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Reading through his thread, I feel as if I fell down a rabbit's hole into some alternate universe, expecting the evil Capt Kirk and Spock to appear at any moment.
    Lots of funny comments, but the reply of the day in my opinion goes to battema. Great humor, intelligent and peppered with sarcasm. I'm not too sure about the left nut thing tho.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    at under 5 minutes I'm sure someone will bitch there's no epics.
    Slow it down to half-speed.

Banned
    Asia are comprised of great musicians at a higher level for the most part than VDGG musicians, yet I would consider three songs on Pawn Hearts alone greater prog rock songs, Lemmings (Including Cog), Man-Erg, and Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. Another that immediately comes to mind is Childlike Faith in Childhoods End. Now those are power house prog rock songs IMO. All of this is, of course, highly subjective, therefore you all must cede to my authority on this or there will be consequences. In fact Carl Palmer has been issued a subpoena to testify in public before the House Subcommittee on Progressive Music and Popular Art. WE WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Every time I see a post about Asia I think "I really must check this band out". I then completely forget about them until the next time I see an Asia post. Is my brain trying to tell me something?
    Your brain is just getting the jump on the whole "completely forgettable" thing.

Regardless of genre, it's an outstanding song.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Carl Palmer has been issued a subpoena to testify in public before the House Subcommittee on Progressive Music and Popular Art. WE WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!
    He's been told not to appear, because your committee has no validity.

Thanks to this thread, I've just listened to this song, almost entirely, for the first time.
    Two remarks :
    1. I'm not sure if the video clip is postmodern or if it may be regarded as an early - even premonitory ? - manifestation of hypermodernity, in which case it could be viewed as progressive.
    2. I like Carl Palmer's haircut to a certain extent.
    It's all I had to say.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Greatest prog song ever recorded would be John Cage 4'33"
    First two movements would qualify.Last movement would not.That's my opinion and i'm sticking with it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I used to cum blood. Now, I cum dead human flesh.

My rock and roll dream is to cum Asia.

Hmmm..this thread mentions Battema's angry left nut and cum.

Best thread ever.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide