Thread: Saw Tool Saturday Night

Saw Tool Saturday Night

A quick review of Tool with opening act Killing Joke at Little Creasers Arena in Detroit Saturday night.

Killing Joke is a band that has been around for years in England and I think they still have all of their original members. I bought one of their albums years ago to check them out but did not really care for it. I figured I would give them a chance live to see if I dug it more. I can’t say that I hated it, but the band didn’t do a lot for me either. I kind of liked the first few songs, but then it got kind of repetitive. Being so far away from them in a big arena probably didn’t help.

After an intermission Tool came on opening up with the title track from their new album “Fear Inoculum”. I had only seen them once before, and this show was similar. The band had a huge production with great lighting and intense visual films to accompany the music. Maynard prowled around the back of the stage with risers on either side of the drum kit. He never came stage front and only very briefly talked to the audience once, right after the first song. His voice appeared to be in great shape. Not sure how old he is, but he is starting to get up there and could still hit all the high notes and stayed on key all night. Musically Tool are as tight as ever with everything sounding top notch. Danny Carry is an incredible drummer, and everyone is great at what they do. During “Jambi” they brought out the Killing Joke keyboard player who did a nice extended solo. The set list was just about right as they mixed songs from the excellent new album with older favorites. My one minor criticism is that Tool does not use any cameras on stage, so in a big arena you feel pretty separated from what is going on stage. I guess I have gotten used to big screens with closeups of the musicians, so you can actually see what they are playing. Our seats were in the lower bowl of the arena in the corner. Without the big screens it could have been anyone down there playing. I guess it is no different than when I first started going to concerts back in the day, but I am getting spoiled. With no cameras on stage, Tool maintains their “mystique”, which is I guess what they probably are shooting for. Overall it was a great show though and I have no major complaints. These guys still know how to put on an intense experience from both a visual and audio standpoint. Little Creaser’s arena is only a little over a year old and is a great place for shows too. Here is the setlist:

FEAR INOCULUM
    AENEMA
    THE POT
    PARABOL
    PARABLOA
    PNEUMA
    SCHISM
    JAMBI
    MERKABA
    VICARIOUS
    PART OF ME
    FORTY SIX & 2

SHORT INTERMISSION

CONCOLATE CHIPT TRIP
    INVINCIBLE
    STINKFIST

NO ENCORE

Only song I like by them is SOBER and it looks like they didn't play it....;(

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Only song I like by them is SOBER and it looks like they didn't play it....;(
    I would like to have heard that one too.

Would have like to have seen "Hooker with a Penis" in that set list but you can't have it all.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No one wants to see that

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My one minor criticism is that Tool does not use any cameras on stage, so in a big arena you feel pretty separated from what is going on stage. I guess I have gotten used to big screens with closeups of the musicians, so you can actually see what they are playing. Our seats were in the lower bowl of the arena in the corner. Without the big screens it could have been anyone down there playing. I guess it is no different than when I first started going to concerts back in the day, but I am getting spoiled. With no cameras on stage, Tool maintains their “mystique”, which is I guess what they probably are shooting for.
    As far as i'm concerned i think these bands owe it to you to have the projected images when they're playing these arena and stadium venues. This isn't exactly an intimate theater where the performance is meant to draw you in. I saw radiohead a few years back in a big shed and they did some really cool projected images of the band while keeping plenty of the "mystique".

I'm kinda surprised they didn't to the entire new record. At least 7empest should be on the setlist. But anyway glad you got to see them. They're not playing anywhere near me this tour so I missed out. They were in Des Moines in May but I never heard about it until after the fact. I'm sure they'll be around again--many times probably before a next album comes out!

It really helps to see Tool up close. I couldn't hack it in the back...not with Tool.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I really helps to see Tool up close. I couldn't hack it in the back...not with Tool.
    The last time I saw them was also in an arena, but a much smaller one, so we were much closer. I agree, the closer the better with this band.

Pretty cool that "Chocolate Chip Trip" got played! I'd drop "Vicarious" for "7empest."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Pretty cool that "Chocolate Chip Trip" got played! I'd drop "Vicarious" for "7empest."
    Yea, that was completely unexpected.

Killing Joke opening for Tool

What a sacrilege!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

There's a lot to be said here. MJK is about 55 and he's been seriously impressive this tour considering that and this ridiculous mischievous demon meets Euro-trash Joker meets BJJ/Capoeira persona he's doing now...which is a lot cooler in person than it is in photos where it comes off as pretty embarrassing. i kept hearing people around me going "how OLD IS he??" He's the one who decides the setlists per night based on what he feels he can pull off...7empest according to some posts on Reddit via Danny Carey says he's not ready for it yet...most likely the next leg.

When i saw them for the like 9th time (lost count) last Tues and second row too as VIP, i couldn't really really get a feel for the visuals outside of some of the backdrops but i've been disappointed with this for the past decade. Lateralus' tour had great accompaniments from Osseus Labyrinth Schism walking and even hanging around, unfolding backdrops from Alex Grey, videos that WEREN'T either synced from some Windows Media player fractals or their music videos paired with the songs, and a fifth member of the band manipulating them in real time. If you ask me, this current tour has various artists making their own unique posters per each show, they should extend that invite to digital media artists and have a rotation of bizarre imagery per night.

As for their performance their timings were a bit off (DC coming in early with the sample drum hits and Adam messing up here and there) and i still facepalm that they have to COUNT IN AJ's solo section in Jambi now...as well as holding the mic out for the last vocal bit in Vicarious...felt seriously gipped that we didn't get Merkaba, a deep cut, Intolerance, or Descending. Also i'm not so sure you can call Danny's solo section CC Trip...the 7 line from the album doesn't really make an appearance and i'm pretty sure he improvs it every night...the gong was a bit much/nothing special i thought too. People also need to seriously relax...there was one guy in front of me who just couldn't contain his need to want to mosh, was flailing about, and gone belting out the lyrics to the point where i couldn't even fucking hear MJK sing it.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    There's a lot to be said here. MJK is about 55 and he's been seriously impressive this tour considering that and this ridiculous mischievous demon meets Euro-trash Joker meets BJJ/Capoeira persona he's doing now...which is a lot cooler in person than it is in photos where it comes off as pretty embarrassing. i kept hearing people around me going "how OLD IS he??" He's the one who decides the setlists per night based on what he feels he can pull off...7empest according to some posts on Reddit via Danny Carey says he's not ready for it yet...most likely the next leg.

When i saw them for the like 9th time (lost count) last Tues and second row too as VIP, i couldn't really really get a feel for the visuals outside of some of the backdrops but i've been disappointed with this for the past decade. Lateralus' tour had great accompaniments from Osseus Labyrinth Schism walking and even hanging around, unfolding backdrops from Alex Grey, videos that WEREN'T either synced from some Windows Media player fractals or their music videos paired with the songs, and a fifth member of the band manipulating them in real time. If you ask me, this current tour has various artists making their own unique posters per each show, they should extend that invite to digital media artists and have a rotation of bizarre imagery per night.

As for their performance their timings were a bit off (DC coming in early with the sample drum hits and Adam messing up here and there) and i still facepalm that they have to COUNT IN AJ's solo section in Jambi now...as well as holding the mic out for the last vocal bit in Vicarious...felt seriously gipped that we didn't get Merkaba, a deep cut, Intolerance, or Descending. Also i'm not so sure you can call Danny's solo section CC Trip...the 7 line from the album doesn't really make an appearance and i'm pretty sure he improvs it every night...the gong was a bit much/nothing special i thought too. People also need to seriously relax...there was one guy in front of me who just couldn't contain his need to want to mosh, was flailing about, and gone belting out the lyrics to the point where i couldn't even fucking hear MJK sing it.
    I am guessing that seeing Tool up close like you did is a very different experience from seeing them from back in the corner of the arena as we did. With no cameras on stage, the musicians were pretty small on the stage. Even the drum kit was far enough away that you could not really see much. Of course from back where we were you got the impact of the full production, which was impressive. I also thought the gong bit worked pretty cool from where we were from a visual perspective, but up close, might have been different.

got my tickets, but sceptical... as they are playing large venues where getting within close proximity is costing crazy $$$. I'll go, feel the vibe then buy that imminent DVD and enjoy all the closeups. Thats my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    got my tickets, but sceptical... as they are playing large venues where getting within close proximity is costing crazy $$$. I'll go, feel the vibe then buy that imminent DVD and enjoy all the closeups. Thats my plan.
    That imminent DVD has been such for about two decades...so...yeah.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Random info: I saw five copies of the Fear Inoculum CD set at the Alexanderplatz Media Markt in Berlin this morning (79.99 Euro) in case anyone is still looking...I’m not sure how hard it is to find at this point, but I was surprised to see them there.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Random info: I saw five copies of the Fear Inoculum CD set at the Alexanderplatz Media Markt in Berlin this morning (79.99 Euro) in case anyone is still looking...I’m not sure how hard it is to find at this point, but I was surprised to see them there.
    I am one of those people kind of pissed that did not just do a normal CD release, but I finally broke down and bought the bonus version when I found it for $39 on Amazon Prime a couple of weeks ago. I still can't believe I paid that much for a CD, but it is what it is I guess.